1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Pacers are trying to stay alive, taking on Brunson and the Knicks in Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Penetrate&Creat

I think at least every troll/Lof/Loh/actual member of these boards agrees McHale needs to go.

2. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

Can't say it any better!

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I've never understood why, when teams adjust their lineup to matchup with you, we turn around and attempt to matchup with them..... It baffles me sometimes what these coaches are thinking ...... Why play down to their level???.... Taking your big men out instantly when the opposing team goes small is stupid.... See if you can take advantage 1st, then adjust.....

4. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

The problems with the team:

poor transition D and poor defensive rotations

lack of post up and midrange offense

high TOs

offense relying too much on one player and too dependent on the three pt. shot

lack of and basic PNR screens when we have two of the most efficient guards in the PNR

strange and ill-timed subtitution patterns

too much overlap between the 1 and 2

offense is too predictable

Now, if I saw any improvement in these areas I would say a coaching change is not necessary and I would say it's because we're a young team, but when these flaws continue to surface game after game, then it's on the coaching staff. McHale needs to go period. The players aren't buying into his system at all. You can see it in their demeanor. Unfortunately, we have a bunch of nice guys who wouldn't dare vent to the media. I believe McHale has already lost the team, it's just difficult to confirm due to the personalities of the guys on the team. Morey needs to make this his #1 priority. A trade will NOT resolve the glaring issues with the team.

5. cw3k

cw3k Member

McHale has the US government mentality. If spending $1 trillion don't work, it must be not enough money, let's spend 2 trillions, spend 5.

6. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Some people don't truly understand that a good coach can make a world of difference, especially in a team sport such as basketball. One or two bad games in sequence is not much to worry about but when you slide like this....and the team looks so out of sync the blame sits squarely on the coach.

7. brick

brick Member

All I can speculate is that the coach (a former big) doesn't know PGs game. He had driven out two PGs last season. Our most fluid wins this season occured during the time when Lin were given some freedom to play as a PG. When opponents tightening up their defense the coach started to take away his freedom due to his TO, and the Rockets have regressed back into a SGs only team.

8. maderzhao

maderzhao Member

I said this before the winning streaks and during the winning streaks that neither MaHale nor Sampson is a capable coach in NBA level.

Really hope JVG can come back. This team needs defense and team offense. I have fed up watching Harden ISO ball with intermittent TOs. The whole offense is stagnant and disjointed to say the least. Our transition and P/R defense has been unwatchable whole season and our defense rotation is just grounded on players' instinct.

This season should be a fun one to watch but the coaching staff pretty much has ruined it.

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Fire the man, he looked like a drunkard out there tonight.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I never thought of this before, but maybe part of the reason Mchale was hired was because he had deep connections to the Celtics brass, and Morey being from Celtics org probably wanted a brother on board (IIRC he supported Romney as well because Romney and the Celts owners were close).

The Mchale hiring was also an experiment to see if NFL style coaching could work in the NBA, you had the overall coach, the defensive coord and the offensive coord. The problem is that in the NFL you had separate players for offense and defense, and the Coaches tend to be hands on on one side and the coordinator would just be an assistant. In the NBA, you had the same players though, so trying to separate D and O leads to confusion.

More importantly, I dont think Mchale has the coaching know-how needed to become an effective coach. He's whole post NBA career was built around being a GM, all he can really do is tinker with PT and call timeouts. IMHO the NFL style could work, but only if we had a X and O master like JVG or Phil Jackson as the head. Putting out a systems guy like Rick Adelman or a personable but non-technical dude like Mchale wouldn't cut it.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

McHale was Les hire. As a smart businessman who had little knowledge of BB, Les insisted upon hiring a 'smart' coach. I mean why did Morey gather 10 years worth of files on all available applicants? He didn't do that on Adelman.

Morey actually liked JVG but did ask Danny for his opinions. Here is a good read proceeding to the hiring McHale.

Did you also know that Sampson's initial interview lasted the longest?

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...-+NBA+Basketball%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Morey began the search to replace Rick Adelman by going through 10 years of files on assistant coaches. With the help of senior vice president Keith Jones and others, that list was trimmed to 20 candidates and then 10.

Morey met with Alexander several times for input.

"Mr. Alexander mainly wanted a smart guy," Morey said
    .​

His buddy, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge, feels strongly about having a distinguished former player as the coach and surrounding him with quality assistants to help with strategic preparation.

Morey wrestled with the idea of hiring a former player versus a career coach.

Ainge apparently believes no single coaching quality is more important than the leadership and credibility some former players bring.

Morey doesn't agree. He has high regard for Jeff Van Gundy and believes two other finalists, Lawrence Frank and Dwane Casey, would have been good hires.

But there was something about McHale. His charisma. His smarts. His desire to be a great coach and to learn.​

I guess in the end, McHale's charisma won Les over and beat out Frank and Casey for the job.

12. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Kevin needs a good assistant coach...

Im happy to lose if we play rookies... and learn....

stop playing tony douglas/Cole they wont be here next yr

13. New

Nice try. Except we are trying to develop the team this season. If you only care about the score, then what you say makes sense. At the end of the season, harden will get injured , DMO and T jones will leave. Douglas probably will leave. Lin will be worth 0.24 million. Asik will not dare to play offense any more. Parsons will probably be traded to a team that develops him.

14. New

He has almost stopped play Douglas and cole. But he is playing harden 40 MINutes per game!!!!!! I guess harden is such a different rookie that needs 40 minutes per game to get developed... Maybe Mchale's goal is to train Harden so that he can play 48 minutes per game? Superman?

15. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Terence Jones is a monster player...

what we need .....

Monta can score inside...what we need

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

after what I saw in the stands during last night's game I wouldn't be surprised if Morey and McHale part ways.

Morey was visibley upset, frustrated and nervous last night as I watched him in his seat at TC. He kept waving his arms for the Rockets to get back after made baskets. He's lost some wieght it seems but I wouldn't question him if he gained some out of sheer depression. After a bad play he would always pull out his Blackberry and type something. He's on the edge guys.

17. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

lol cues track for "aint no rest for the wicked" lol, just kidding
    But he needs to be on edge for risking his career on McHale's hire

18. Raven

Raven Member

McHale is a company man. That's why he was hired. He won't go off the reservation the way Jeff and Rick did. Being too honest with the media is not conductive to long term success at Toyota Center. That being said, I don't see any way that McHale is fired, but I could see a "retirement" this off season. That wouldn't surprise me.

19. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Typical answer always from coaches:

I dont know.
    He will be fine.
    Guys missed too many shots.
    We have too many turnovers.

Any questions? All right, that is it.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Well, at least we know he cares.:p