1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Lin, Harden, Parsons, Patterson after Rockets' 105-95 loss to Nuggets 1/23/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. dragonz

dragonz Member

IF this team wants to be better, it has to start with Lin improve his shoots, Harden improve his D, and everybody else improve their screen setting skills.

2. Roxs

Roxs Member

Those of you that are reading sadness in Jeremy's interview, I think he sounds this way all the time, even on the days we win.

3. PointGuardRocks

dude, lin is shooting 43% ,close to 48 the last 20 games.
    if anyone hhas to improve ,its going to be harden. he is shooting 33% the last 10 games. 5 TO per game.
    GTFO

4. LoLin

LoLin Member

It's his spot up 3s that need to improve, though it may have to wait until the off season before he have a chance to work on it.

5. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

what is Lins percentage from 3pt range?

yeah, "GTFO" :cool: cool guy

6. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Dude, where did you get that number from? Lin's FG% for this January so far is 38.9%.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4299/jeremy-lin

7. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

In January,

Lin's 3pt % is 30%.

Harden's 3pt % is 24.4%.

8. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Go to 1:15 regarding the dinner. He didn't really say much about what was specifically discussed at dinner.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WRrpMcJdkeM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The difference is the D focuses on Harden, you don't even have to contest Lin's shots.

10. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

All of you making this a Harden vs. Lin thing are naive. Our system is the flaw and that has to do with McHale and his minions.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the Rockets don't have a vocal floor leader.

actually, they really don't communicate too much verbally on the court.

12. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

So they didn't contest Harden's shots in December? My point is that everyone is not making 3s in January, not just Lin.

13. cw3k

cw3k Member

How is this Lin's fault. It is not like this is news to McHale. Everyone know about it, yet, what's McHale's for Lin? Yeap, have Lin post at the 3 and waiting for a kickout from Harden.

Disgusting.

I said it before and I say it again. Even the best team like OKC and Miami screen for each other, what make McHale think his system is better than OKC and Miami?

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

If you calculated how lin was shooting jumpshot wise, he'd be well below 33%. His layups are the only reason he's at 43%

the difference is harden still puts up numbers regardless. Thats what stars do. they have bad games, they find other ways to score

15. Mock

Mock Member

Wanna know how you can tell if Harden is a superstar. Look at his beard in the video it's sparkling magically throughout. I knew their was something to that beard!

1 person likes this.
  16. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Or you can factor Harden's points when the game was out of reach, but he played the full 40 minutes. He scored a few more points today like that. Not trying to knock on Harden, just pointing out that his 26 ppg is also tainted as well.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Anyone else tired of Lin being clueless as to what happens during the game!?

All he ever says is "I'm not sure" or "I don't know"

Is he paying attention during the games!?

18. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Thanks Clutch.

I don't think the PPat video has been posted yet but here's a quote:

A matter of trust
    “If you get down and someone wants to make plays to get us back in the game, that leads to excessive dribbling, trying to put the game on your shoulders,” Patrick Patterson said. “James is a great player. James is our best player, hands down. But we all try to make plays for ourselves and sometimes for our teammates when we should just pass the ball and set screens.

“When you get down, people try to make the big home-run play. We have to stop doing that. We have to learn to trust in the system, trust our teammates and share the ball.”

The issue, however, is not that the Rockets cannot still play the way they must.

Even on Wednesday, they had a 12-0 second-quarter run to a lead when they packed the paint, rebounded, took care of the ball and ran. They just have been unable to stick with their style and priorities through the tough times.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/01/nuggets-exploit-rockets’-porous-defense/

I thought Lin's comment, from the youtube clip, regarding the team's confidence was interesting. Players and coaches?

"I think we, as a team, from the coaching staff to the players, we've got to get back to feeling good about ourselves and feeling confident about what we're doing. Right now, I think there's a hint of hesitation and I think that's hurting. I think people are trying to make the right plays, definitely, but I think we're trying to figure it all out. And I think everyone's thinking a lot. Everyone has a lot on their minds right now."

George Karl on Lin from The Denver Post:
    But with Lin, as Nuggets coach George Karl pointed out, "I still think he's the motor of their team, and when he plays well, they have a good chance of beating people. ...

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_22437660/nuggets-journal-take-look-at-jeremy-lin-now

19. gate470

gate470 Rookie

you weren't listening then because he said other things too. considering, we only get to see a couple minutes, he's pretty candid in his interviews.

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patterson had some great comments on the team: http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/post-game-01232013-patrick-patterson

He thinks it starts with defense. Players aren't giving their best effort to stop their opponent.

He thinks that once the team gets down, players [namely Harden] start going for home run plays instead of doing their jobs in the system.

He also disagrees with McHale. Doesn't think confidence is the issue. He thinks guys need to defend better.

Parsons: http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/post-game-01232013-chandler-parsons

He also says the problems start with defense. 1-on-1 D and providing help. The team needs stops to get out in transition.

------
    A couple of thoughts:

1) Harden says part of the problem is guys passing up opportunities and not making the easy play. Patterson is noting guys, including or particularly Harde, are trying to make plays on their own instead of trusting the system by doing their jobs, set screens, etc.. These observations may not be mutually exclusive.

2) Harden is gonna have to step up and set the tone on D. Not by gambling, though.