1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinion: McHale's heart is not in coaching.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShiniKashi, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davek

davek Member

I am using Westbrook as a benchmark for JLin because both teams are top offensive team yet Houston is nowhere close to #1 spot. So you have to ask yourself why that is!!!

You can't compare JLin PG abilities with any other PG. Basketball is a team sport and should be compared base on the team playing style. It so happens that OKC is #1 team and top offensive team now. They make the perrrfect benchmark!!!

I never said Jlin was better player than Westbrook. I was pointing out how the stats are comparable and where Jlin needs to improve!!!!

Both players got ****ty TO% and FG%. Do you not agree? Why is that? Maybe its the way how the team play offensively...which causes more TO. Why the FG% is so low for these PG? Maybe because of fast tempo style that it causes fatigue so it could possibly impacts the FG%.

2. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Welcome to CLutchfans.....

3. KevinG1015

KevinG1015 Member

Are you kidding???
    1. McHale just lost his daughter, obviously he is going to look a little distant.
    2. The scruffiness and tiredness, that's always been there. He has ALWAYS put a lot of time into whatever it is that he's doing (hence the H.O.F. and ties to "one of the greatest players ever").
    3. If his heart wasn't in it, he would leave. No one in the Rockets organization is holding a gun to his head and telling him he has to stay

The Rockets recent slide is NOT because of McHale. We are a young team, we are going to hit walls and struggle. McHale has done great with what we have so far and with the little practice our team has gotten. We will get where we want to be... it's just going to take time

"Rome wasn't built in a day..."

4. davek

davek Member

Thanks! I never realize there is soo many JLin haters here thats its unbelievable!! My comparison is fair and justified...You can't compare a racing car with a truck.

5. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I wouldn't say there are a lot of haters. I'd say they are just more vocal. It's usually the same group of posters over and over again. There are also some ppl who aren't really Lin haters but they have become overly sensitive because the small percentage of posters that are overly irrational Lin only fans. Anyway, it's sad, but that is the state of Clutchfans nowadays. My advice is just ignore the haters and place them on your ignore list.

6. Albinoswordfish

This board is hilarious, this thread is about whether or not McHale's head and heart is in coaching in light of his recent tragedy and you turn this into a McHale bashing thread because he's misusing Lin. I understand your a frustrated Lin fan but this is not the place.

Anyway it's impossible to really know what's going with McHale, it could be anything however I wouldn't be surprised if his daughter's death has affected his job, how could it not. Blaming work deficiencies on personal matters is not acceptable in most work places so we shouldn't be blaming McHale's coaching issues (or perceived issues) on his personal life as well.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My opinion is that McHale has turned evil, judging by his facial hair.

[​IMG]

8. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

How the **** did this become a Lin thread. Ugh.

9. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

OP...McHale's got nothing but heart! After the loss of his daughter, his love of the game brought him back. Most coaches would have quit. With that said, however, there in lies the problem. Unfortunately, that is ALL he has...heart. :(

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-First of all. You are getting way too worked up over Jeremy Lin. This is an open forum where There are some polorizing views on BOTH sides(LOF vs. LOH), but me and most rational posters are neither of those. We are just going to call a spade a spade.

This doesn't mean that just because Im not a LOF that Im strickly a hater because I am defintely not. Nobody wants to see Lin succeed more than I do because Im a ridiculously huge Rockets fan, and winning comes first. That's the way it should be.

Lin is basically a high calliber prospect IMO. He has had great highs in the past 2 years, and low lows. All signs of a young prospect who is trying to find his way in the league. He needs to develop just like any other young player on this team, but the team does not need to totally overhaul this team and coaching staff to suit the skillset of just him alone. He's going to have to figure it out on his own, and let the coaches worry about the team as a whole.

-Second, Morey said himself in a quality radio interview this morning that the Rockets offense is not nearly as good as their PPG average make it seem, and their defense is not nearly as bad as it seems. The numbers are skewed in both directions because of the pace they play at. The Rockets have nowhere near the quality of offense that the Thunder have.

If you want to compare FG% and TO% in guards you are really, really cherry picking stats. If you are going stricky off of those two statistics, you would say that Mark Jackson was a much more efficient scorer than Reggie Miller. Jeremy Lin, and Russell Westbrook are very, very different players with completely different games. I dont want to even think about comparing the two players, and I sure as hell dont want to compare the Rockets offense vs. the OKC offense.

You are treading into dangerous clutchfans posting territory there for cherry picking meaningless stats that do not equate to a winning franchise. So yes.... WELCOME TO CLUTCHFANS

11. double d

double d Contributing Member

McHale's head might not be in the game - he's never been the brightest X"s and O's coach (look how easily other teams can predict our offense).

But this guy is ALL HEART. Wears it on his sleeve. Tragedy is just going to make him work harder. Goes all the way back to playing days.

12. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I agree. He is a very good person and was a great player. I think he is 110 percent in it but he is just not a good coach. His daughter has to affect him but I know if something happened to one of my kids I wouldnt even want to live more less coach.

13. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

^^^^^

14. gate470

gate470 Rookie

He kind of looks like a.ss, like he hasn't gotten a decent night's rest in weeks.

15. davek

davek Member

I just don't like how JLin is constantly benched. It feels like he's shifting all the blame on JLin. Like he's the root of all problems!

We should be using OKC for comparison. It makes for the perfect benchmark. We do comparison in our everyday life, business etc....
    If you're playing an offensive type system why wouldn't you compare yourself to the leader? All I wanted to point out was if you play an offensive type system TO%, FG% and 3P% may have negative effect on your stats especially if you're not shooting a lot like Jlin. He needs to find a way to shoot more or he'll get bash constantly because the stats will DEFINATELY will not be in his favour for this type of offensive system!!

This is about winning and not all about JLin!!! The coach should stop making us believe its all JLin fault. Offensive system is prone to having high TO%!! Live with it and stop benching the guy because he's playing the system that you ask of. The team needs to work on their D and Jlin needs to be more offensive minded and shoot more!!!

16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Ridiculous ^ LOF :rolleyes:

I'm convinced... you know very little about basketball.

17. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

That was BLATANTLY UNCALLED FOR.

18. SeabrookMiglla

mchale has been around basketball his whole life, i dont think he just does this because he kinda wants to. coaching and being on the road is tough, he has said it in the past that its a love hate relationship with staying up late watching tapes. but he also has admitted he gets more enjoyment out of seeing his players win, i have a feeling mchale likes this squad a lot more compared to last years squad.

19. davek

davek Member

I suppose today loss was Jlin fault again? The team has terrible D. Great pull out Lin now then suddenly the defense will improve. Good Luck with that McHale.

The entire system is broken!

If what I put was sooo ridiculous prove me wrong. I like to hear it.

20. myjohnlai

myjohnlai Member

The houston rockets had been playing fine until they started benching Jeremy Lin at will. Then they stopped the winning streak. The stupid coaches constantly asked JLin to push the game faster on the road trying to outrun their opposing teams with their highly predictable game plans.

At the end, the team just played into the hands of the opposing teams. In the seven game losing streaks, the coaches blame the players not their low IQ and stubborness.

Everyone knows that it is tiring to be on road. The stupid coaches ask JLin to speed up the game so every player start standing around. Who is to blame? Once JLin slowed down a bit to adjust to the teammate. They benched him immediately.

The coaches had only one plan that every opposing team know: pass to Harden and have him play one on one. Fans should start asking for refund watching one on one play in an NBA game.

If one on one play is so interesting, why should they put 5 players on court? I'm sick and tired of their game plans. They are lazy, unimaginative and most of all ineffective. It had bored the daylight out of the game.

Sampson is the worst. He is always the one making bad decisions. Of course they had had grudges against JLin. They cut him and the owner used $25m to buy him back. They would love to play JLin's weaknesses to all opposing teams and have them slaughter that hardworking kid for them.

They frequently put players in their doghouse except JLin didn't quit basketball and came back to haunt them. Linsanity provided the most entertaining basketball. I was entertained. Watching Houston basketball now isn't entertaining at all. The players suffered because of bad coaching. Last time I heard about the coaching of Houston Rockets, they were listed as the bottom 5. Yet the players make them look good by giving their over 50% record.

The stupid coaches did it again ruining the team sport altogether. Good Grief! It is Les Miserable on the court. These coaches are losers!!!! We have wonderful players in Rockets. They are young and entertaining to watch until these bastards put a stop at them.

I want our team back. Fire Sampson. Fire McHale if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.