1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winning vs Losing Streak -- What changed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Jan 23, 2013.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Was thinking about this winning vs losing streak, and people like to blame specific players, shooting, etc.

I decided it might be interesting to look at it from a different perspective, IE, the number of actual Play types being called.

So, hit my trusty friend Synergy Sports. I wanted to look exclusively at the NUMBER of each type of play called and see if there has been a significant shift in offensive play distribution from the winning to the losing streak.

Specifically I wanted to look at the percentage of PnR plays, Iso, Spot up Shooting and Transition.

Here's what I found...

Winning Streak

Atlanta - 10.8% ISO, 6.9% PnR Handler, 6.9% PnR Roller, 28.4% Spot up, 17.6% Transition
    Hornets - 23.2% ISO, 6.1% PnR Handler, 10.1% PnR Roller, 16.2% Spot up, 14.1% Transition
    Bucks - 6.4% ISO, 9.1% PnR Handler, 4.5% PnR Roller, 33.6% Spot up, 20.9% Transition
    Cavs - 8.3% ISO, 11.9% PnR Handler, 3.7% PnR Roller, 22% Spot up, 19.3% Transition
    Lakers - 7.9% ISO, 17.5% PnR Handler, 2.6% PnR Roller, 24.6% Spot up, 20.2% Transition

Losing Streak

Hornets - 18.8% ISO, 9.9% PnR Handler, 4% PnR Roller, 27.7% Spot up, 16.8% Transition
    Celtics - 19.8% ISO, 4.7% PnR Handler, 5.7% PnR Roller, 21.7% Spot up, 15.1% Transition
    76ers - 11.2% ISO, 7.5% PnR Handler, 2.8% PnR Roller, 34.6% Spot up, 14% Transition
    Clippers - 14.4% ISO, 6.7% PnR Handler, 1% PnR Roller, 19.2% Spot up, 10.6% Transition
    Dallas - 13.3% ISO, 14.2% PnR Handler, 3.5% PnR Roller, 26.5% Spot up, 15% Transition
    Indiana - 5.6% ISO, 20.6% PnR Handler, 15% PnR Roller, 17.8% Spot up, 14% Transition
    Minnesota - 15.5% ISO, 13.6% PnR Handler, 3.6% PnR Roller, 27.3% Spot up, 10% Transition

Winning Streak Average - 11.32% ISO, 10.3% PnR Handler, 5.56% PnR Roller, 24.96% Spot up, 18.42% Transition

Losing Streak Average - 14.09% ISO, 9.08% PnR Handler, 3.16% PnR Roller, 24.97% Spot up, 13.64% Transition

Differential Win/Loss Average - +2.77% ISO, -1.22% PnR Handler, -2.5% PnR Roller, +0.01% Spot up, -4.78% Transition

In a nutshell, the stats point to the following. We're running more ISO's, fewer PnR plays (Handler and Roller), doing about the same amount of spot up shooting, and significantly less transition.

The decline in Transition I would conjecture is coming mainly from tired legs. Tired legs didn't only impact our transition game. Comparing the Winning vs Losing stretch, we saw significant drops in Pace and Shooting, as well as an increase in Turnover differentials per 100 possessions (Rockets vs Opponent).

Stats of winning vs losing

Possessions - 100.2 vs 93.57
    eFG% - 58.68% vs 47.7%
    TOR Diff - -3 vs +3.65

So yes, we're running WAY less resulting in fewer possessions and fewer transition plays, shooting worse, turning over the ball more, running more ISO's and fewer PnR's.

And for final reference, here's our last game...

Charlotte - 11.3% ISO, 6.6% PnR Handler, 0.9% PnR Roller, 34.9% Spot up, 22.6% Transition

Possessions - 93, eFG% - 45.9%, TOR Diff +3.2

I certainly hope that more rest will start curing some of these ills.

As for the decline in PnR's... I hope that this is just a short blip in the play calling radar.

3 people like this.
  2. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Hi Morey! Great posts!

3. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Do you like watching basketball?

4. torocan

torocan Member

I watch every game, and also like to review individual plays and play sets to confirm my impressions and put context to the numbers.

5. rockets13champs

i love these type of fans

6. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

So to sum up...basically during the losing streak we had more iso, less PNR, and less transitional points.

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I have no doubt that you watch the games. My post wasn't meant as any type of attack.

Do you ENJOY watching the Rockets?

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Is this sarcastic? :confused: Finding out what type of plays are being called in wins and losses isn't some intangible mumbo jumbo. It's a pretty valid stat imo.

9. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

To sum it up pre-losing streak people thought we are going to outrun everyone.

Jus like how Forrest outrun the rest.

Post-losing streak people are now more negative about the team.

You can look at the game thread to see how it affected the members of the garm.

10. torocan

torocan Member

I Love watching basketball in general. And I like analyzing it too.

I watch the Rockets, Knicks, and a lot of OKC, Denver and the Clippers. A little bit of Memphis and Miami as well. And lately (though I hate to admit it), I'm watching the Lakers.

Though I got to admit, watching the Lakers is more of a schadenfreude thing than anything. I don't hate the Lakers, there's just a certain beauty in watching a $100M payroll team burst into flames. :grin:

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I do agree less isos

12. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

You may like watching that, but I'm sad that Nash can't get his ring before his retirement. The guy totally deserves one.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Don't get me wrong, I do feel sad for Nash. I really respect him as a player.

As for the Lakers... meh. I'm just not a fan of buying your way to a ring.

Oh, and forgot to mention the Spurs. I love the Spurs organization and culture.

1 person likes this.
  14. peter2012

peter2012 Member

I guess I know who torocan is, a big lin fan like me. Enjoy your post always, keep up working.

15. Roxs

Roxs Member

First of all, thank you for this. Would rep you if I could.

I think it's easy to say that the schedule and the tired legs could be the reason why the team is scoring less transition points. But I'm also thinking the scouting report is out that you need to get back on defense vs the Rockets. Same with the slower pace. The scouting report on the Rockets is to slow them down.

What I'm more interested in is the reason why we're running fewer PnR plays. A lot of the teams during the losing streak had good interior defenders and the Rockets lack players with interior presence on the offensive end. Of course correlation doesn't equal causation.

In general, we don't do enough PnR it would seems. That's always the commonly held belief. Would love to get a straight forward answer from the coaching staff. While we're at it, would also love to get some serious answers about how they plan to adjust to the current scouting reports.

2 people like this.
  16. torocan

torocan Member

Actually I'm a Morey (Go figure, a stats guy that likes Morey... who knew?), Lin and Harden fan, though Asik, Parsons and Delfino are really growing on me. And my latent Toney Douglas hate from his time on the Knicks has pretty much disappeared with his play this year.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I agree with Torocan, buying your way into a championship is a cheap thing to do and deserves failure. ;)

18. liubaoxin

liubaoxin Member

You are the true Rockets fan, appreciated as always...

19. pnr

pnr Member

Props torocan! Always appreciate reading your posts. :)

20. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

1 person likes this.