1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Zach Randolph?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sgl_carlos, Jan 20, 2013.

1. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

That's why Memphis is willing to trade him.

If Zach could just average 12 and 10 for the Rockets, that would be amazing at the PF spot.

2. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

For $16m each of the next couple of years he better do more than 12/10.

We just need to send Patterson 11/4.6, Morris 8.5/4, Jones and DMo to big man school to work on their rebounding.

3. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Lol this.... 12/10 for 16 mill! Haha come on man think!

4. stiiphler

stiiphler Member

Zach Randolph is not the answer...

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Patterson's ceiling is not too high (no better than Jordan Hill, certainly); Morris' is a little higher. Still, I think if we give these four a couple of years, say, one of them will shine. Worst-case scenario, we end up with one decent PF, and get some assets back for two of them.

6. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

It's his consistency rebounding that will help this team along with his anger problem to help pump this team up like Bobby Sura once did.

Zbo is 32, but with his game still going this hard, he should still be good for another 4 years, that last 3rd year of his contract is going to be a valuable year for teams who want to clear up space, if he can't help us within the next 2 seasons, trade his expiring contract.

7. arjun

arjun Member

no...that would not be that amazing at all.. jesus. is that what 16 million is worth??? ask yourself.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

ZBO's averaging 16-12 for one of the slowest, lowest scoring teams in the league. He won't suddenly go down to 12-10 on the Rockets where there are far more scoring and rebounding opportunities, even if the Rockets slow down a little to accommodate him.
    His contract also has only 2.5 years left, and he's pretty clearly a top 5 PF right now, so there isn't a huge risk of decline. He might decline a bit but this isn't like signing Amar'e or Joe Johnson on a 5-6 year deal.

I'm not saying the Rockets should get him. I think being patient and targeting 2014 free agency makes more sense. I think Millsap makes more sense as well, both as a younger player and as an asset (imagine if Kahn looks to trade Love a couple years from now; a piece like Millsap could go a long way).
    But if the Rockets don't want to be patient and want to make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two, then ZBO could definitely help.

9. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

He was 20/12 two years ago before his back problems and 24/10 back in POR in 2006 @ age 25. He's a high MPG guy(lowest of 34.4 since 2003 except 26.3 in 2011 and 32.5 in 2007) with a history of injuries. He's played 81 games only twice in his career. Not including this season and his rookie year he averages 65 games played a year.

10. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Zbo would average a lot more than 12 and 10. I mean even asik scores 10 a game.

11. Sanity2disChaos

He is a good legit option. ...but question is how will this influence how active we are or not be a player in free agency ?

12. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Bye Parsons. Hello Royce White.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He's a bit worse and probably still recovering, but raw stats are also an exaggeration. This Grizzlies team is considerably slower and more defensive minded compared to those Grizzlies teams a couple years ago. They have less shots to go around. ZBo's also impacting the game in other ways, he's at his career best in terms of offensive rebounding and defensive stats, so we can't really say that it's an obvious all around decline.

Re Portland or New York scoring, he was much more of a shoot first, think later, save energy for scoring, get numbers on bad teams type of player, so I think in general those numbers don't tell much.

14. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Yes ppg can vary with teams and style of play, but games per season dont. I would argue an increase in offensive rebounds could indicate an increase in rebounds off his own missed shots. Maybe fewer dunks because of age/injury.

I would argue that on a team that doesn't score much or has other weakness a $16M/year player would put it upon himself to score more or improve his game in other areas like players like LeBron, Kobe and KD. Harden too has tried to carry our team but he's in a bit of a slump and trying too hard.

If we're going to spend $12M+/year for a guy he better be @ the top of his game or have a high upside.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He's missed even more shots in Portland or New York. It's not like offensive boards jump into your hands, especially for a 6'9 guy who's a below the rim player. It takes energy, hustle and stamina to bang all game long.

I don't understand this point. This is the best ZBO's team. They aren't scoring much but they are slowing the game down and they are winning on defense. And I'd say ZBO's defense individually is peaking this year.
    And overall, he's changed a ton since his New York days.

well that's an entirely different topic. as i said, i don't think that it's the best possible overall plan for Houston. I'd take 2014 free agency, or I'd take Millsap.
    My point there was that people are being overly dramatic re risks and ZBO's decline when they are throwing around numbers like 12-10.

16. Mock

Mock Member

Z-Bo would help no doubt but like many said he is not the answer. To me honestly I don't think his personality and team chemistry is that great he just seems to be one of those ron artest type guys. *Not that I think that he's like ron artest but u know what I mean*

He would be a great pick up but with his age and being how big he is it may not be such a great idea.

17. rocketblood713

I hear alot of "that guys not the answer" who is then cause Aldridge Paul Millsap and Josh Smith aint the answer either and the guys that are the answer are superstars that are not being let go anytime soon ...

18. Mock

Mock Member

Those guy's you just said are #1 Younger #2 More athletic #3 Open minded in my opinion #4 Arent basket cases and are down to earth #5 Coachable

Not that Im dogging on Z-BO but he's got his ways which I love but it can really hurt a team sometimes.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's clutch. His numbers say so. Plus, it's great that he has his contract already. We don't have to worry about what might be. Zach would space the floor, finish those passes that get to him on a cut and shoot us back into a winning style of ball. He's that second rebounder that we've been missing and he wears a headband. I say go, the only downside would be what we have to give up to get him.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Zbo > Harden. Get 'er done!