1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Looks like a dude

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am not sure i will agree with you. dominating ball doesn't necessarily equal to dominant high scoring. lin needs ball in his hands to be effective just based on limited playing time. it happened during linsanity. it happened when team #1 got injuried. i don't know if he can do it the whole season coz he never had a chance to prove it.

3. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Even his jump shots are better when he's in motion. I think we've seen his best 3-point shooting when he plays with the ball.

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

he is the worst spotup shooter on the team. it causes his ineffectiveness off the ball.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

I just wanted to adress this part of your statement just for fun.

It isn't about running every single offensive play through Lin it is running the vast majority of the PNR plays through him. That will never happen in Houston because Harden is the best PNR ball handler in the NBA. Lin ranks 33rd. So what the coaching staff has done is split the PNR plays 50/50.

Something I have noticed is that Lin/harden runs the PNR about 30% of the time. Lets say if Lin was still in NY they would run 40+% of the PNR plays through him. How do I know this because Felton runs the PNR about 42% time & he is an inferior PNR ball handler. And yet in NY the offense would still run through Carmelo Anthony.

Hypothetically, the Rockets could have Lin dominate the vast majority of the PNR plays over Haren but the offense could still run through Harden. Kind of like how the Knicks run there offense through Melo & Felton still is the primary PNR ball handler.

So basically I do think that any NBA team that needed a PG that was elite at the PNR & had a good PNR Roll man would feel comfortable running the the vast majority of there PNR plays with Lin as the PNR ball handler. Doing this is fundamentally different from having the entire offense run through him like the Knicks do Carmelo.

With that being said Lin & harden are fine people need to be patient. There partnership is already pretty good & yet neither has reached there full potential. Both Lin & harden need to become more well rounded players this off season. Both need to learn how to move without the ball, cut, a few post moves, & Lin needs to be a better shooter Harden a better defender.

6. King1

You're seeing the real Lin unfortunately. Linsanity was an aberration.

7. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

^^^This

Except Harden needs to learn how to move without the ball more than Lin.
    Harden needs to watch some tapes on ray allen, reggie miller and old rip hamilton.
    Lin needs to play point and handle the ball he majority of the time cos he is the pg. That way we can really find out how good he is at ball handling and decision making

8. nickg

nickg Member

No, you're most likely wrong. You're seeing someone play a role that they do not have the skill set for. Its really not hard to understand. Before harden, they got Lin and were most likely going to use him like he was used in ny last year. Which is where he's effective. Then they got harden. He's better so hr takes that role. It realms isn't rocket science.

You can't expect a him to be effective in a role he doesn't have the skill set for. He's not Steve Blake, not a spot up shooter. Granted I have only watched maybe 8 games, and there is the possibility that they only decide to not use him in the offense whenever I watch, but I doubt it.

You can look at his numbers and say he's a disappointment ( they are disappointing ) but there is more to it than that. Telling Lin to be a spot up shooter primarily is like Patrick Patterson to be a starting 4 in tbd NBA. It doesn't ****ing work. Line 3 point shot sucks and he's only shooting 43% from the floor. His assists are somewhat low too, but I have a hard time knocking him for this because he doesn't control the ball like a pg in the league normally does. He's a pg in name only right now, kind of like Chalmers in Miami. Nothing wrong with that because lebron is there, like harden here ( the main difference there is that chamlers can knock down a three ).

Basically, I just wasted my time telling you that your dumb post was dumb. No, Lin will not be as good as his insanity streak ( not now and not on this team at least ) but you have to do more than look at his numbers.

1 person likes this.
  9. King1

Actually, you wasted your time agreeing with me.

1 person likes this.
  10. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I meant dominating in terms of points.

11. VanityHalfBlack

anyone who posts here with sentences containing "...is the most..." or is the "...is the best" or "....is the worst" has caught Clutchfanfitis and cannot be taken seriously.

so that goes for all of you.

come back anytime when you're better

12. Jedster

Jedster Member

LOL...you forgot to add "...ever"

13. Hank_1

Hank_1 Member

Yeah let's talk about the Asian when our big problem is absolutely no production out of Morris or PPat.

Hey, it's five against 4 out there!

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Shut up you ****ing moron.

15. Hank_1

Hank_1 Member

LOH can't take the truth.

16. Hank_1

Hank_1 Member

Our 4's have been shooting <20% during this Losing streak...and

-not rebounding
    -not blocking out
    -not running the floor
    -not shooting with confidence
    -getting lost on defense
    -hell, their not even getting fouls!

and we're talking about trading the Asian....

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin is just gonna have to develop other aspects of his game. The team doesn't need Lin ball hogging for 20 seconds while everyone else runs around hoping he gives them the ball.

More than that, this team needs to learn to execute some half court sets. After Lin gets his chance to be Linsane on the primary and secondary breaks, the team needs to smoothly go into half co jet execution a la the Showtime Lakers. This is where the team has failed.

The sets would be more productive if guys set picks and came off screens and if the ball moves around. Enough with the early in the clock Harden/Lin isolations. Move the ball side to side. Of course, this only works if guys are actual threats to hit wide open shots.

It would help if there was a post up guy on the team...

18. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

We have an Asian on the team?

Does Les know about this?

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Les will fire Mcfail first..trading Lin is not his priority.

20. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli can both figure it out, Harden and Lin can too. It just takes time and perhaps a better coaching system.