1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones long D-League stint?

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by teebone21, Jan 10, 2013.

1. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Jones has been with RGV quite a while this last month while dmo is serving powerade to patterson keeping the bench warm. Is this an attempt to speed his progression for a spot in rotation ?

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

1 person likes this.
  3. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Well... I was him, I would stay with RGV too. DMo isn't getting any meaningful minute here (only 1 or 2 min when rox are winning in a large margin I believe.)

4. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

And to be honest, for what I have seen T.Jones is playing much better than D.Mo.

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

D-Mo stats

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fm%2Fmotiedo01%2Fgamelog%2F2013%2F&div=div_pgl_basic"></script>

6. adamzee

adamzee Member

agreed.

7. cstrike2

cstrike2 Member

Same thing that happened with Marcus Morris. Seemed like he was garbage, went to the dleague, didn't expect him to be a factor this season, and then he was. The Rockets use Rio Grande like a minor league team. And DMos only up with the team to make sure they have someone to take the court in case of a disaster

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think you are getting closer to be a rotational player by playing full games fr the Vipers than by sitting at the far end of the bench. Jones is a lot closer than D-Mo but couldn't get any meaningful minutes right now. So let him develope in the D-League.

D-Mo needs to get his body NBA ready and he needs to learn the game speed. He won't help us is year, when he gets on the court he seems to be lost and gets pushed around. But his offensive moves are already really good. So let him get comfortable with the game, let him bulk up next off season and hope he can contribute next year.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think there is a limit to the number of times a player can be send down and called back up. DM may just be staggering who is down there now. It makes no sense to have players down with Rio Grande when there isn't enough playing time down there either. Only one of them should be down at a time. It's entirely possible TJones gets called back up and DMo then goes down for a month.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not anymore. Players with three years or less of experience can be sent down and called up an unlimited number of times. Players with more than three years' experience can now be send down WITH THEIR CONSENT and the consent of the player's association.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think there's a limit within the first 3 seasons of a players career.
    Also, if they are taking turns with long stints on the Vipers, that would allow them both to get valuable playing time.

12. w00t

w00t Member

Dmo vs Jones... One of them will have to go... if not this year, then next for sure

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess on why Jones is down while DMo is up had to do with understanding. DMo may already grasp offense and defense assignments well enough to play, but just isn't skilled, strong enough. Or it could be that they don't want both on D league at same time as they are two similar and would get in each others way.

14. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

I hope not. Hopefully Jones learns the 3 perfectly, then I believe we can keep him while D-MO and Morris play the 4. Maybe Morris slides down from time to time and Jones moves up to the 4/5 when needed.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jones would be out of position at the 3. He will do most of his damage at the 4/5.

16. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Why do you say out of position at the 3? SFs too fast for him?

17. w00t

w00t Member

I think that this is how both Dmos and Jones rook season will go. Half month on the bench, half in dleague. Rockets are having a final look at what PP and Morris has to offer. Imho Morey don't want to lose the value of his assets :grin:
    Rooks will play next year...

The positive thing from this (for me), is that Dmo will be the first guy camping for the LT national team preparation camp next summer. Apple store style of camping :grin: No more Mr "superstar" wants guaranteed minutes to show up :rolleyes:

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Whether he can play three very well or not doesn't matter he is probably a better four. Rockets want to run and have a floor spacer at the four. He should excel at it.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I don't find that assessment fair. D-Mo has come in during garbage minutes where there is no structure. I want to see D-mo play in a system to give him a fair evaluation. Jones got to be part of the regular rotation and therefore we saw him in a system.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

He looks like a 3 to me in the NBA. I don't know if he can play like how he did in SL. In the few minutes he's had, NBA guys have treated him like a rag doll.