1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy needs some subtlety in his game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, Jan 9, 2013.

1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Please don't quote him/her. Thanks.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'm ducking Magic Johnson? I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, but Magic doesn't consult with me before he gives his opinions so there's no way I can be ducking him. That said, I'll be happy to make a tip jar bet with you if you care to put your money where your mouth is regarding Jeremy Lin. 1k seem like a fair number?

3. King1

Look how rattled you are. Another LOF begging someone not to quote me on the internet. I love this. Fish in a barrell

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

/Thread

5. adamzee

adamzee Member

uh oh. don't look now. queen troll getting rattled by multiple hall of famers. keep on ducking :grin::grin::grin:

6. King1

What am I ducking? I guess you don't care to put your money where your mouth is. Can't say I'm surprised. Back to sleeping in your Jeremy Lin snuggie.

It's also cute that you have to repeat what I say because you lack the intelligence to think for yourself

7. liunatic

liunatic Member

Do you like Mallard Ducks?

8. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Well what are you going to bet? Because everything you say is full of intangibles.

Are you going to bet he will never put up all star numbers? (He already did)
    Are you going to bet he won't make history records in the NBA? (He already did)
    Are you going to bet he won't match up to Nash or Stockton stats in their prime in his games? (He already did)

Or are you going to bet something wishy washy, easily debatable, long term and avoidable intangibles like "in 3 years time he will be a bench player"? The chickening out kind of bet? Because anything you are willing to bet to show that Lin is a bench player without using dumb long term intangibles to your advantage are already proven. So please why don't you tell me what you are willing to bet that can be proven and not controversial. If it makes sense, I will bet with you no problem.

9. raskol

Agree with op. Lin needs to start hitting mid range jumpers from the free throw line like he did last year and in that Lakers video. He used to have this hesitation move as well but I haven't seen it this year. Definitely, he needs to get a better mid range game. Harden gets up strong and high enough to not worry about shot blockers as much and his 3 is solid, but Lin 's 3 ball is broken and his drives are often cringe worthy when he takes it in against the shot blockers. He needs to draw them out by hitting mid range jumpers and floaters more often. More variety please. As for TOs, no lazy passes but risky TOs are fine IMO. It makes him play his game and if you havent noticed our run n gun is often predicated on Lin passing up court quickly or with Lin in transition. And Harden is by far our most consistent and best player. Let's not pit Lin against Harden until he starts earning it. I for one do believe in his potential but as of now Harden is earning superstar status while Lin is not even a star at this moment.

#169 raskol, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  10. raskol

Pleas don't quote him. He's got good points at times but hes purposefully overdoing it. If you stop he'll stop. If you continue, he'll diss you and Lin even more. Thanks.

11. King1

I'm willing to bet that Lin will never have a season like a prime Stockton or Nash.

12. King1

The only thing that will stop me is Jeremy Lin consistantly playing well and helping the Rockets win games. At that point I will give him credit and admit I was wrong. If he doesn't, then I was right. Pretty simple

13. SK34

SK34 Member

When has Lin put up all star numbers? When has Lin has avg 10+ ast 15+ points

14. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Well this bet is not a bet because of all the intangibles as I mentioned before. First we need to determine what "like" means. What kind of statistics does he need to show? How do we account for the different scenarios such as team dynamics, ball handling dynamics, scoring option dynamics, coaching dynamics etc.? How do we account for injuries? What if Lin wins a ring but doesn't show the same statistics as Stockton or Nash? Rather he shows high defensive stats and average point/assist stats that leads to the ring? Does that mean his season is less than Nash or more than Nash?

These are all controversial, so you can't use that as a chip to bet. I really can't think of any bet you can make with Nash or Stockton as comparisons. So my final point is don't pull out betting as something to justify your points when your points are full of undefined variables. Showing signs of a player is one thing because these are historic facts, hence "potential". But saying that he will never become "anything more than a bench player" as a fact is just blatantly ignorant and betting on it just shows how childish the thought process was.

15. jason330i

jason330i Member

you are willing to bet that jeremy lin will never have a season as good as two hall of famers in their prime?

way to go out on a limb.

16. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Your stats are only as good as the dynamics of the team you are playing with. Stockton was good, but who did he have to work with? With Harden around and they way the Rockets wants to spread things, there isn't going to be enough touches on a nightly basis for Lin to get his 20 plus points even if can or wants to. I doubt he will ever get the stats that a few people are wishing ofr 20/10....but he could end up being more successful then say Nash, Stockton, CP3.....in terms of the ultimate goal of playing in the NBA (championship ring). As of now, Stockton is guaranteed to never get a ring, Nash's dream is looking bleak this season, we should see for CP3 and Lin.

17. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

So you go from calling Lin a bench player to betting with someone he will not have HOF numbers?? Yeah. Right.

18. L7N

L7N Member

I'd rather see Lin be the most improved player to reach the pantheon by hard work rather than mere talent (although he has that also).

To say Lin has more upside than Harden is unfair to Harden (although possible). What? Just because Lin has a nice story, we are going just forget that Harden worked hard to get to where he is at? GTFOH.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

LOL more upside than Harden? Probably as a marketing tool. Lin's upside is average to above-average starting PG. Harden's upside is best SG in the league. I'll let you guys figure it out from there.

20. King1

I was never the person comparing him to the two. Talk to the LOF fans