1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Would Dwight Howard Look Next To James Harden In A Rockets Uniform Next Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Objectively, as much as we love Asik and the potential to get a star or near-star 4 (Love, Aldridge, Smith, Millsap), if Dwight becomes available you have to go for it.

Give Dwight the passes Lin/Harden gives Asik, and Dwight will shoot Tyson Chandler FG percentages and get back to his 20/15 days, easily. Lin/Harden will get even more space to operate on the PnRs due to the threat of lob dunks. When your offensive system basically breaks down to PnRs and working for shots at rim or 3s, there is no better center for it than Dwight.

The thing with Dwight, he didn't have a real good passing PG in Orlando (Jameer Nelson is solid but not special), and although Nash is with the Lakers, everything goes to Kobe. With the Rockets, you get 3 great passers for their positions in Lin (shot at rim especially), Harden and Parsons.

I think the vibe of having a young (& with great potential for contending), fun and hardworking group of players, and perhaps big-man coaching from McHale and CD (and more from Hakeem) may be just the right place for Dwight. In this environment, Dwight may not be the drama queen that he has been.

2. cw3k

cw3k Member

Howards is immature. I wouldn't want to play with someone like him. Who know when he will be acting up.

As others have mentioned, Howards is a liability. Until he can improve his FT, he will not good for the team.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No thanks. He didn't want us then, I don't want him now. Would rather have Asik for the money, easily.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

He ditched us 2 times, I'd be upset if we shower him with overbearing love. A lot of Lakers fans have said that Dwight is a stats player, not a defensive player who win games. I love Lin for the reason, he is a solid defensive player. His stats don't show up like taking a charge and helping out on defense. Please don't ditch Asik for Dwight, let him change to become Rockets. Don't make the Rockets change for Dwight.

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I see your point and I agree with it to a degree...but how much would howard really improve the team? How many passes that equal points would Howard Get that he could finish that Asik cannot....if its a lob dunk why do we need howard to do this...asik has shown he is capable of completing this play ( i am not trying to say asik is anywhere near the player howard is) But you also do not let howard create his own offense...he has to be fed to succeed.

but with our team how many more points better does it make us? how many more wins...and I think the biggest question is how much does it improve us defensively. Statistically speaking...

On the offensive side a combo of Love and Asik should perform much better then Patterson/Morris and Howard. Also give much more flexbility. If anything having howard in the middle would clog the paint more so then any other center option in the game...which is detrimental do us.

Love would add a major upgrade to offense especially in the final minutes of the game...and that is when howard is almost useless. He would also be elite option at spreading the floor and opening up the lane for lin and harden...and you dont lose any rebounds from howard to love.

The wild card here is how much better defensively would we be with howard...thats not something I can really see numbers to define.

7. Grigori

Grigori Member

My attitude on Howard is pretty simple: If he really really really wants to be here, then I want him here. He'll have to prove it by putting his name on that $61.2 mil / 4 offer though. Actions speak louder than words.

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

If Howard is available and wants to come here, you have to get him. He might be overrated but he is still the best center in the league and a true star. He gives you what Asik gives you plus a solid offensive game - that not only gives you a lot of points ut also opens up the floor more.

Harden and Howard is a championship core with the right supporting cast - and I do believe we already have a very nice supporting cast - and we would probably get good value back if we trade Asik.

So potentially if we can sign Howard we might also get a FA like Millsap - now look at this line up:

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Millsap
    Howard

That is a championship line up!

Problem is: we have next to no chance to get him. He will stay in LA and not leave 30 millions on the table to leave via FA - and for the small chance that he does, he probably ends up in New York, Boston or Chicago, not in Houston.

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

F Millsap. I'll just start Howard at PF.

10. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Member

try and go for howard if we get him and hes not working out just trade him for love....simple

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

More than likely there are two scenarios here to consider with the options that are out there for the Dwight and the Rockets to eventually cross paths-

A. He must be dealt before the trade deadline in February if he wishes to sign elsewhere.

Timing is tight here, and there are only 7 weeks until this would need to happen. Things have to go poorly here for the Lakers enough for Dwight to force his way out. Stranger things have happened, and its something to stay tuned to, but its highly unlikely just because of the timing.

The reason why he must be dealt to the Rockets in February for the Rockets to sign him this Summer is because of the contract situation that Im sure most people on here know about. The team that owns his rights THIS YEAR will have the ability to give him an extra 30 MILLION or so in guaranteed dollars. Keep in mind that after this contract is up, Dwight will be seeking another contract within a new CBA structure(which could very well be even more team friendly) and he will be 30+ years old with potentially declining health.

However, there is another option-

B. Wait another year. Dwight will sign with LA most likely this Summer. However, dont rule out him being dealt in the future sometime as early as the trade deadline in 2014. The Lakers are smart enough to know that they would get WAY more for him in trade next year at the deadline(enough to truely expedite the rebuilding process) then they would this year when he is set to be a free agent.

Dwight & his agent know this, and Mitch Kupcakes knows this. Dwight is a valuable enough player that they could part ways next year(assuming he has made it clear behind closed doors he wants out), and everyone gets what they want in a potential trade.

The only thing that this takes is patience. Patience from Dwight to give it some more time, sign in LA, and enjoy living in Hollywood for the next year, and patience from anyone that wants to take a crack at trading for Dwight next year when he is truely shopped more heavily... that is unless the Lakers become a dominant team once again, and him and the Lakers forge another dynasty moving forward... then... you are screwed, and he will truely be untouchable.

Lastly there is-

C. He takes less money to leave LA in the dust this Summer. This would be the less likely scenario of the other two. Some people out there are clinging to hope that either Dwight or CP3 will for some reason leave their current teams in free agency this Summer. I will just say that in the current CBA the way that the super max player is structured (thanks to the Melo-drama), it will be virtually impossible for this ever to happen with this calliber of player.

If you are a fan of Dwight and want him to be a Rocket, dont lose hope just this Summer if he signs in LA. Scenario B isn't that far fetched if you really think about it. IMO, its probably more likely than C.

However, scenario A. is the most preferable for everyone. Since Houston has very little assets right now to get a deal of that magnitude done, its more likely they just wait it out for a better opportunity for Dwight or a player of his magnitude in the future to come free in trade.

12. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Howard is not that good, AND he is only going downhill from now on.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I thought we were finally free of Dwight Howard. Please no more Dwight Howard!!!

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Howard is too Hollywood to want to come here.

Lebron could be an option because he's close with Harden...maybe if the Heat fall apart, but i doubt it.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Howard and Asik on the floor at the same time? Both can't shoot jumpers so that would really hurt our spacing - and I am not sure if Howard is willing to guard quick PFs at the 3pt line.

If we get Howard Asik is probably on the way out - but his market value should be really high so that's not necessary a bad thing.

16. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

How does howard open up the floor? Everyone is trying to stop him in post (only place hes effective) and double team him. So they are playing off their wingman to give help in the post...that is the exact opposite of opening up the floor.....:confused:

17. ejarts

ejarts Member

after he got signed max contract, he never improved cause he already thought he's at his best. his ego destroys teams. don't need him. heck, Blake Griffin is getting better than him, I hate Blake but I saw how he improved his post game a lot, not just dunks now. Dwight is just a better version of the dunking Griffin.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The Lakers should consider trading Dwight to Miami for Chris Bosh, and moving Pau to center where he should be playing.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Miami does not have the cap space available to sign Howard this Summer even after moving Bosh. No way they do that deal knowing they cannot under any circumstance keep Dwight.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I haven't seen any change in his game at all in quite some time. He relies on physical dominance to beat up people. When that starts to deteriorate, he'll be a sitting duck.