1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strategic Advantages of Acquiring Paul Millsap Mid-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

We need a big who can work off the pnrs from Harden and Lin. Beyond that, it would be ideal if he could create his own shot too.

Josh Smith is a more favorable candidate.

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

What IS Paul Millsap's value as an unrestricted free agent? I feel like I had a good understanding of that earlier but now I'm not so sure.

Considerations:

1. Keep in mind he is coming off of a 4 year / $32 million deal.

2. He's going to be 28 years old in one month, hardly a young man, and he's going to want this to be his last big payday before dignified retirement or veteran's minimum journeyman status.

So, *more* than 8 million per? How much more? How many years?

I feel like he's going to need 4 years...40? That kills the 2013 max star chase, but it also leaves enough for another solid role player. You'd still be retaining Parsons and then signing him at market value regardless of the cap situation, but that team feels like a consistent second round exit-caliber team to me. It's a relavent team, but I don't think that's enough for serious contention. Feels too much like settling, too. More moves would be necessary before the poison pill year. Is a 30 year-old Millsap on the decline going to be enough bait?

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

This. End of discussion.

4. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Milsap is better than most of the power forwards on our current roster now.

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

He's only made 30 3P in his entire almost 500 game NBA career, including 12 this year. This 1st 10 games he was 10/17 from 3P in the last 25 games he is 2/11 from 3P. Morris has made 43 3P this year alone.

Have you checked his shot charts recently? This is from NBA.com
    2010-2011 195/413 47% midrange (42% of fga) (56% of fga in paint)
    2011-2012 105/307 34% midrange (36% of fga) (61% of fga in paint)
    2012-2013 36/115 31% midrange (30% of fga) (64% of fga in paint)

If he can't hit his midrange jumper and isn't really a 3P shooter then he's going to clog the paint with Asik.

6. goyao11

goyao11 Member

if we're talking trades for Jazz players, we shouldn't be looking at Millsap, but rather at Gordon Hayward.

He's gonna be the next Ginobili, a sixth man player that can bring you tenacity and instant offense off the bench. If we end up losing Parsons, this guy will be more than an adequate replacement at perhaps a cheaper price since he really isn't getting much exposure playing for a mediocre Utah team with little media buzz.

And then go after Bosh.

Lin/Douglas
    Harden/Hayward/Delfino
    Parsons/Hayward/Delfino
    Bosh/(Jones/Patterson/Morris/Monte)
    Asik/Smith

Easily top 3 in the west.

7. Grigori

Grigori Member

More like a Jazz fan if you ask me.

The only way Millsap makes sense is if there prove to be no market for him out there, and we can't sign a star, and we give him a Delfino-like 1+1 contract as a placeholder for the salary cap until the season after. Give up assets for him? Gimme a break. No friggin' way in hell.

I know Utah is desperate to get some value out of Millsap, but quite frankly I doubt there is anybody out there willing to give up any kind of real asset for him: He's just not that valuable. If Morey was holding Millsap's contract right now, he would be desperately looking to trade him away right now. No way he trades for Millsap. LOL. LOL at the wishful thinking.

8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

this is a cerebral team of young, hard working players

josh smith does not fit. (knuckle headed plays)

kevin love does not fit (poor D, questionable attitude towards the game)

aldridge screams soft to me.. does not fit (also doesn't want to leave portland)

MILLSAP is the most logical choice out of acquirable players. he will cost the least amount of assets and then will cost less to keep on the team.

that is the moreyball way.

morey stated previously that he wants a player who can provide the team with a half-court option, but who is also versatile enough to spark the break.

the most central of the thought bubble that is the vexing PF problem lies at Paul Millsap

9. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good data, but I was referring to the fact that he's been an improving 3 point shooter. UtahMountain also pointed to this fact that Millsap has added the 3 point shot to his arsenal.

The effectiveness of the midrange game has been overstated, and not as important, especially for the type of power forward we need. The "far" mid range shot, or "long 2" is actually the worst shot in basketball. The Rockets want their players to either shoot 3s or put up points in the paint. I don't see Millsap's mid range being a problem. Carlo Defino and Toney Douglas sucks at everywhere else, but the 3, and they are extremely effective on offense. This is the way the Rockets' offense works and Millsap will fit in just fine.

10. ty185

ty185 Member

Actually I think it's the exact opposite. I remember we have a huge number of teams with potential max room, so much that the number of "Cap teams" is somewhere double the number of top FAs. Analysists have been warning for ages that the upcoming summer will be a summer of desperation and over-payments.

Assuming that's indeed the case, I'll try to trade-and-extend a player like millsap as much as I can. no benefit wait til summer to entertain bidding wars.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

A point that hasn't been discussed is how our future PFs personality is going to mesh with the team's.

Millsap would be the unanimous best fit. Im tellin yall he could propel the team to the next level provided the rest of the team also grows.

the money saved could be used for quality depth.

PAUL MILLSAP FOR ROCKETS PF. MOREY IM TELLIN YOU

12. Raven

Raven Member

How the Rockets manage to re-sign their young core, I have no idea. Asik will be up in a couple of years and don't forget about Parsons. That kid is going to get a huge payday, either here or somewhere else. Les says he's willing to go over the cap under some circumstances. Well, those circumstances could be right around the corner.

With that out of the way,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-josh-smith-before-he-bolts-team-in-offseason

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This is a perfect example of stupid stats... watch the games.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What do we have that the jazz want though? More 4's? There already packed, it would have to be a 3 way almost, unless there willing to take Patterson, Douglas maybe Aldrich and some picks for him.

15. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

These players will become free agents at the end of this season. I think Morey will try to get them for free.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Aldridge has maybe the best hands of any c/pf in the nba, you can send garbage to him and he makes it look like a Magic Johnson special, lord knows how much of Lillard's crap passes benefits from that.

17. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Can we steal Kenneth Faried from the Nuggets? He doesn't have the three point shooting but the hustle, rebounding and athleticism is there. He would be good for our run n gun style of offense

18. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Actually, DMo will fit our system quite well both in long and short runs, but he has been playing terribly.

19. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Guys we need to follow Morey rules....

Only get max players if they are
    - top 15 in the game.
    - young or in prime

20. ilias

ilias Member

Milsap is a good player, but more of a quality utility player rather than a 2nd or 3rd banana in a contending team. For me the question is not how we can upgrade at PF, but how we can build a championship calibre frontcourt. A Milsap-Asik duo is far from that. In fact with Asik as a centre only Aldridge, Love and Bosh would give you that. Unfortunately they are unattainable. Which leads to the logical conclusion, that Asik needs to go for us to contend (unless you feel he can improve dramatically in the offensive end, which I doubt).

I would trade Asik + TJ + picks for Cousins + Garcia (or other bad contract the Kings wish to offload) and then sign Josh Smith as an FA at $50-55m for 4 years. Then you have a frontcourt that has a post up game, mid range shot, excels on the PnR, and is great in transition, rebounding and defense. Keep Smith, Morris and Montejunas for the flexibility they give to throw different skills at the opposition. Trade PPat for a pick.

Sign a playmaking PG that can hit the open 3 to pair with Harden and Lin when the other sits down, eg Mo Williams, Beno Udrih. Upgrade your wing backup with someone like Reddick or Bellinelli.

PG Lin/Williams
    SG Harden/Reddick
    SF Parsons/Delfino/Garcia
    PF Smith/Morris/DMo
    C. Cousins/Smith

I think we could contend with that.