1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do people want Kevin Love? He doesn't play defense...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Love is still better than Zach Randolph and alot younger too.

2. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I'm really not too amped about what love can bring. Maybe just an off year, but he's a stretch 4 and an elite rebounder which we have in Asik. We would have to clear alot of talent off of our roster to acquire him. I would rather not deplete our roster and either develop what we have, or go after a FA this summer. It's not like we have 1st priority here either, there are other teams in the NBA that can and would offer alot more that we can IF he was being shopped.

3. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Elite rebounding I was referring to Asik. There's better stretch 4 shooters, decent at best defender, decent post game, can't really put the ball on the floor, not great for running game we have, only aspect of his game that's considered ELITE is his rebounding. Even in that tho Ryan Anderson has a better per-36 rate. If we are to add a pf I would go smith if the cost is right. If Patrick can keep this play up, millsap would be redundant.

4. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Smith would really beef up our interior D and is a great runner.

5. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Smith is a d spec, Millsap is an all around player. They are both good just a bit too old.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Asik plays 25-35 mins a game, and our rebounding tends to suck when he's not on the court, especially against some of the better rebounding teams.

Better stretch 4? there's one

Transition game? we don't run 4 man breaks, and it's the rebound and outlet that starts it all.... Our transition game comes out of rebounds and steals, he's far and away the best at his position at one of those and reasonable at the other.

Better per-36 at what? Certainly not rebounds, Love's is nearly double Anderson's.

7. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

Aside from his rebounding, scoring everywhere talents Love is a great passer and picknpop player. So while entertaining a Love trade, saying that he wont be good for us because we have a team that scores and rebounds well is minimizing this conversation.

A Harden-Love pick n pop probably would be unstoppable, and if it somehow becomes stoppable at one point, having shooters around them would make it unstoppable again because of Love's passing skills. We can go with Love at center spot for some time, and with our pace it would be a headache for most of the opposing teams. I wont talk about having Ă–mer and Love would be moda****ing intresting in the terms of offensive rebounding, they will probably get at least Lin's 10 missed shots from the backboard a night.

I dont think we'll have Love this year but, being against LOVE is not a good thing my momma said.

8. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

I've heard Morey was trying hard to sell Cook to the Bulls.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Reasons why we like Kevin Love:

- He's the best rebounder in the NBA

- He's the perfect power forward/stretch 4 that this team needs (deadly range)

- Decent post game and has the tools to be a legit post scorer

- He's young

- He has a beard

He doesn't play defense you say? As far as i'm concerned, defensive rebounding is considered as defense. Here's a guy who can put up 20/20 on a nightly basis. His game is perfect for us.

To all those who prefer Josh Smith.. Man, you seriously need to watch him play. He's a PF who plays like a small forward and a horrible shooter. Sure he can dunk, he can block but he's not even a great post defender. If Morey somehow spends our cap room on Josh Smith, i will be really disappointed. And to all those who want to use our max cap on him, give it a few games and you will start to hate his gam especially every time he attempts those jumpers (face palm moment).. just ask the Hawks fans.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I have no idea why people wouldn't want Kevin Love. He can rebound like no other, can stretch the floor for our drive happy guards and is a top 3 powerfoward. All this talk of him shooting poorly this season is stupid. Multiple injuries to your shooting hand will, newsflash, affect your shooting. We should be so lucky to snag him if Kahn is stupid enough to sell.

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Why do people want Josh Smith? He can't shoot. He can't post. He is not even a legit post defender. Have him spotting up for corner threes and you will all be regretting we spent our remaining max cap on him.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hey come on, man!
    You don't have to downplay what Josh Smith can do just to sell your guy Love.
    Love is better overall but defensively I think Josh has the upper hand....
    Josh is a tweener... but has been playing very well and his defense has been legit
    Shooting is not his forte I admit.

13. jjin15

jjin15 Member

I wish we could get David lee. Great rebounder, good hustle and already has good chemistry with Lin. He doesn't bring any drama either. Would be perfect fit for us IMO. Damn you GSW!

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I prefer LMA.

15. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I would rather sign a FA than trade away a bunch of our guys and mess with the chemistry. In terms of contracts, there isn't much of value except Lin and Asik.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

There is Massive problem being overlooked by every single person in this thread. If we actually become contenders via a love acquisition, we need to start worrying about playoff match-ups.

What happens when we're playing Miami, and Lebron James is on the court at the 4 spot? Do we take out out best defender in Asik to play love at the 5 so we can guard Lebron? Or do we take out love because we need the rim protection Asik offers? Neither answer is a good solution, and our championship window will be steam rolled by Lebron single handedly.

We need a 4 that can block shots, so when Asik comes out of the game, we can match up with the heat and still play Solid defense in the half court without losing to much scoring or rebounding.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Makes no sense. Al Jefferson is a terrible defender, worse than Love, and he's a center. Love plays exactly the way the Rockets want their PF's to play.

As for Love criticizing his team, the Wolves have questioned Love every step of the way, with limited playing time, and a short contract.

18. valorita

valorita Member

It is fact that Morey loves Love. He thinks that his rebounding + 3 point + free throws make him a top 10 player. Healthy Love vs Harden is a wash.

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

What in the hell do you consider too old? Carlos Delfino is 30 freaking years old.

20. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Lol u serious? The Rockets should not go for Love because he can't guard Lebron?