1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who pairs up with Harden as the next Star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Jan 1, 2013.

1. SuperLintendo7

Fail Starting 5!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

first name Danny last name Ferry

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This ^^^^

I think we can rule out the 2 as far as our 2nd elite player for obvious reasons. I think at any other position, we would gladly give up our best player at the position for a first tier acquisition.

Lin for Cp3
    Asik for Dwight
    Parsons+Rooks for Love

Trading/sighing for players below the level of the 3 I mentioned I am not not sure would benefit us much. And as you point out, may hamstring us in cap flexibility making further moves difficult or impossible.

Someone out there will give the likes of Milsap, Smith and Jefferson near max money. I just hope its not the Rockets.

4. HardLin

HardLin Member

Morey has stated that your two best bargains in the NBA are max contract players, and rookie contract players. That's because those are the only two categories of players that have their salaries limited (and therefore below market). But if we're looking for a max contract player, we want one that is not just barely worth a max contract, but clearly worth more. From what I can tell, Josh Smith is barely worth the max. Is Lebron worth more? Of course. And Lebron would be roughly the same price. So would Dwight Howard. Or CP3.

So if we're going to sign a max player, it would have to be one worth MORE than the max. Based on that standard, I'm iffy on Josh Smith. I would do it for LMA or CP3 or D12.

Outside of getting a more-than-max player, I say roll with what we have, with possible additions of role players. Because we have some young talent that may develop into something special. Then we can keep our cap space to keep our young talent as their contracts expire. Having a 17-14 record with only upside ahead allows this. :)

5. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

6. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

LaMarcus Aldridge

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Scottie Quitton never lead the Bulls to the Eastern Conference Finals by himself..... Never.

The one and only year he was in the play-offs with out Jordan and on the Bulls they lost in the 2nd round to the Knicks 4 games to 3. Tony Kucoc hit the game winner in game 3 of that series while Scottie Quitton refused to go in the game because Phil Jackson would not call a play designed for him to shoot the ball.

Don't you ever give that piece of **** credit for anything ever again except the credit he deserves for quitting on two different franchises.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I thought this was about getting a 2nd all-star not more role players.

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Maybe Dirk.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

No 3rd-rate stars.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Next offseason will probably be the last in the near future with us having lots of cap space. So if we don't get our superstar until next offseason, we will probably have to trade for him and give up a lot (since we don't really have draft picks to trade left until Atlanta gets ours this could be really painful if at all possible).

What Morey will do is try to get more good contracts - and guys, that could develope into something great. That might mean getting Millsap, that might mean getting Smith. We are not desperate to clear our cap space, but Morey will be very active trying to use it to get more assets or potential stars. I don't think being patient is the answer - being active to get more pieces other teams might want and that might turn into something great is the answer. Of course, if those don't present themselves he won't get lured into bad contracts just to sign someone and probably remain patient and rightfully so.

1 person likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Josh Smith. The Hawks will have a collapse and he'll either demand a trade or walk in free agency

13. TheGoldenGreek

My dream acquisition would be Love. He's the best out of the players being mentioned and also the best fit in our offense. We would probably have to wait until 2014/2015 to get him but that gives us time to develop our young guys as well as acquire more assets to help make a deal for Love possible.

14. jjin15

jjin15 Member

I would like Iggy!
    I think it would be like a Jordan-Pippen type duo.
    We know Iggy is an all star- but he isn't going to be that #1 option that Harden is.
    It's what he does that I think would compliment Harden.
    He is a great defender, good rebounder, runs the floor well, and puts up decent amount of points every night.
    He doesn't need constant touches like another All Star would if we brought them in here.

The lineup:
    C - Asik
    PF- Parsons
    SF- Iggy
    SG- Harden
    PG- Lin

Sort of reminds me of Bulls lineup:

C- Longly
    PF- Kukoc
    SF- Pippen
    SG- Jordan
    PG- Kerr ( Harper)

15. Lostie

Lostie Member

Kevin Love :DDDDD

16. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

I second this.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Don't just state it will be the last with us having lots of cap space, prove it?

We have team options for the year after next on 4 players, and the QO on 2 others is quite reasonable.
    Should we fail to get a max FA this summer (one that is worth it), then there's no reason to overspend on crap, rather we can just pass and wait for the following summer ($33mill in committed salary, or $36 mill if we want to keep the young core together).

This is the very thing Morey is a master at. Now that he has a star to build around, we'll be a very competitive team for years. And we'll be patient in acquiring that second star. If they don't show up, we'll use capspace to gain picks/talent, which we'll gradually turn into more picks/talent and so increase the 'asset pool'.

The only difference I see is that Morey will seriously overpay to get a second star should the opportunity present itself. Now that we have one, the door is open, and if a second is available, I'm sure we'll go all in if needs be.

18. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

royce white

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In the Morey CNNSI article, he basically said the team can't be picky as far as its second star.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206495/index.htm

From the article:

"I ask about the Rockets' future. Harden is a piece of the puzzle, Morey says, but not the endgame. Even after signing Harden to a five-year, $80 million extension, Houston is in position to have ample cap room next summer, enough to sign another foundational player. Morey's not picky about who it is. 'We can't afford to be,' he says."

20. rinklob

rinklob Member

I think our best bet is definitely at PF since our pieces right now fit really well. I don't know that we'll be able to sign anyone with the clout of an Aldridge though - maybe Love is possible.

I wonder if one of our many rookie PFs will turn into anything special.