1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which players style of play does Lin remind you of?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Dec 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kastuul

kastuul Member

Last season, Lin played like Stockton in NYK.

But in HOU, he only likes Tony Parker because his 3pt shooting is horrible and none of his teammates are good at PNR receiving.

2. ERC

ERC Member

I see where you're coming from, but honestly I don't see anything wrong with people saying Lin has the style of player X, except he's missing skill Y. This is not a knock on Lin; it's just an assessment of where he stands as a player right now. If anything, it's a compliment when one says Lin has the style of an all-star.

All the media has been saying Anthony Davis could be the next Tim Duncan if he could bulk up his body and develop a low-post game. Again, this comparison is meant as a compliment, not a criticism. The same logic applies here.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lin is finishing at a higher FG% at the rim this season than Tony Parker. 64% FG for Lin (FG/FGA 73/114) & 60% FG for Parker FG/FGA 82/136)

4. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

He will be better than Tony Parker before 30, just be patient!

5. manning

manning Member

6. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Nice guy. I got to meet him twice in Pennsylvania, at a YMCA and a bar. He had two hotties with him at the YMCA, and was talking about playing with Zydrunas Ilgauskas at the bar.

I didn't really talk to him. Just said "hi" and let him go about his business.

7. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

That's who he reminds me of, too.

Current players, probably a slower but bigger version of Tony Parker.

8. jacky c

jacky c Member

yeah, I got your point and I hope where i come from wouldn't put glasses in front of your eyes. we talk sense here and other than that, dont make it public if so.;)

first, i know it's about a style of play and it's no wrong saying Lin having the Parker's style minus his shoot(skill Y)/speed, but... read it twice.
    shoot goes up and down and so does speed throughout your career.
    That means it's already wrong to have an assessment of style of 1 player played just 96 games to a player already played more than 500 games+. If you played 500+ games, you style is nearly the signature. But for a virtual rookie, he can either be a Steve Nash like, TP or Kidd. He may improve a lot in shooting.Style actually is a collective playing summary of a player.

For example, what if Lin improves his 3-pt % in 4th,5th,6th year a lot. Would he suddenly playing like another player with a much higher 3-pt %? My point is style of play is the way you play the game, like 30% penetration, 15% fast break, 30% jumpers, 15% floaters, 10% pnr something like that. Skill is a player's arsenal, style is the way he plays it. He has low post skills doesn't mean his style relate to that. That leads to a point, style (quality, uncountable) shouldn't add/minus with skills (quantity, countable). Thats all I saying.;)

And, by the way, it would be more appropriate after enough sample size. Cause from my point of view, 1st 20 games with Lin, he's so passive, no aggressiveness whatsoever, just having a spot-up shooter like style, how many times he penetrated each game by that time? But he did play different in NY and after these 20 games. Right?:grin:

9. Viola

Viola Member

this.

10. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

2. A younger, taller but less athletic Tony Parker.

TP's change of pace and direction as well speed all trumps Lin I think.

Lin can probably dunk better though ;)

11. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

And he's a much better passer than TP.

TP can't throw no looks, full courts like Jeremy. Partly because TP has Timmy, so he has to throw the boring dump it in the post pass and Pop would kill Tony if he throws full court passes and it gets intercepted....

Pop's fury :eek:

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Honestly I think it is way to early to start comparing him to anybody that is a HOFer. Lin hasn't even had a full season as a starter under his belt. Also in 3 years he has had 4 different coaches on three different teams no consistency whatsoever which is what young players really need. I think now that Lin knows that his back court mate is going to be James Harden for the foreseeable future he will be able to figure out his off season training better in terms of how he and James can maximize there skill sets. I don't think we will really see what his potential is until next season.

13. jacky c

jacky c Member

Thats the point I wanna make but can't, I am that stupid!:grin:

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think he sees the floor better than Lowry and finishes better.

#34 Billionzz, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

He shows flashes of Nash's psychic court vision and his ability to make layups from a wide variety of angles and positions around the rim. I think their size and athleticism is similar as well.

If Lin could just develop Nash's shooting ability and ability to keep his dribble alive without turning it over, he would be a beast, because I think he has stronger defensive effort and instincts than Nash ever has. But, that's a tall order. I hope Lin can at least improve his shooting.

16. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

He's like Bobby Sura with better passing and athleticism.

17. jacky c

jacky c Member

got similar assessment too:grin:
    yeah, lets hope he improve his shooting soon
    got faith in this kid's attitude

18. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

If Jason Kidd and Rajon Rondo can become better 3-point shooters, I have to think Lin can improve on this as well. It's probably going to take some time, though.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

Add Mike Conley & Lowry to that list of players who improved there shooting. I think this summer he worked on his passing, defense, transition game, PNR game as well as his shooting. I think next off season he needs to focus a lot more on his shooting than everything else now that he knows he will have a back court teammate in Harden who can share in the playmaking skills. Also should work on his post game and cutting. And improve his passing & handles some more as well.

20. jacky c

jacky c Member

"In addition, Lin's jumper, so deadly for so much of last year, has been spotty. One reason for that could have been Lin working with a shooting coach to learn a new, more consistent stroke. It takes time to learn how to shoot differently. But it looks like the time has finally paid off: Over the last seven games, Lin is 45-of-84, a shooting percentage of .536."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-and-jeremy-lin-a-viable-duo-in-the-long-term

Don't get it, Lin's learning new shooting way? I just wonder a little bit, I think his shooting arc is a higher than in NY's time, and a little more releasing time. Am I thinking too much? But, just wondering it's a good time to learn a new shooting way during a season if it's true.:confused: