1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley, Eurocup MVP to join our Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 23, 2012.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would love to have Rip as our 3rd guard. If we could get him for free, I would take him in a heartbeat. I wouldn't mind waiting a little bit for him to heal.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. BimaThug is the master at calling people idiots while denying that he is calling people idiots. :p

2. I agree that the competing market for eating Hamilton's contract does likely reduce the price the Bulls will have to pay for a salary dump. As such, I wonder if the key is whether a trade partner can offer something in addition to the largely one year salary/tax savings that a straight Hamilton salary dump offers.

For example: I wonder if any of the teams would be willing to take Hinrich (owed roughly $4m each this year and next) off their hands. He has not done well at all and the Bulls are in luxury tax hell next year, too. Thibodeau, however, seems to trust him. My guess is CLE is a more likely willing taker of Hinrich than HOU given how much HOU seems to value 2013-14 cap room.

As an alternative, perhaps HOU can offer the Bulls someone with smallish $ next year (like Patterson or Morris) in a Rip trade package to make it worth it for the Bulls to give up Mirotic or the protected CHA pick (or whatever is deemed a more favorable package of assets by Morey). The Bulls can use another useful front court player who is locked in at a small salary. As I said, their tax situation (thus ability to sign outside FAs )don't look good and they never managed to replace Asik.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This is very similiar to what i was thinking...

Maybe we can trade machado/greg smith for rip/mirotic(or either chicago or charlotte 2st whichever morey deems better)/and a 2nd..

Opens up a spot for beverly and gains us assetts and/or picks...

4. rogower

rogower Member

Thanks for your response, and I appreciate your insights on this board. However, I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Patrick Patterson's trade value. Patrick Patterson provides what should be recognized as journeyman production and really has no business in any contending team's regular rotation. Further, he is being paid (in 2013-14) much more ($3.1 mil) than a journeyman's salary (i.e., at or slightly above the league minimum). Finally, it is impossible to ignore the fact that Houston's recent hot streak coincides to a significant degree with Patterson getting injured (and thus not playing, at all) and subsequently replaced by Marcus Morris in the starting lineup. Houston is very clearly better with Morris starting at PF than Patterson. If/when Patterson returns, what to do with him? Also, if/when Patterson returns, and his minutes plummet, and maybe he's irritated about that... what happens to his trade value at that point? Does it go up? No. Does it stay the same? No. Right?

For what it's worth, I am from Kentucky, received my B.A. from the University of Kentucky, and closely follow UK basketball. Not that this makes me an expert on UK players or anything, just want to point out that I am very familiar with Patterson, that's all. I was a big fan of Patterson when he was at UK and believed that he could be a very good role player in the NBA. However, that hasn't really happened, and by the time a player turns around 24 years old, he's as good as he's ever going to get, as a general rule. Patterson turns 24 this March.

Also, as a UK fan, I look at Terrence Jones, obviously a former UK player, as well, who the Rockets have under team control for the next three and a half years (assuming he isn't traded), and Jones appears (to me, and I've watched him play quite a bit) as a player who can immediately be at least as productive/efficient as Patterson, and is young enough that we can reasonably expect him to improve over time (probably not to the point where he is a good starter in the NBA, but I think it's reasonable to expect him to fairly quickly evolve into a good rotation guy). And, again, he's under team control for three and a half more years (two years longer than Patterson), he's quite a bit cheaper than Patterson (Patterson's 2013-14 salary is double Jones' salary), he's younger than Patterson and therefore has, unlike Patterson, "upside."

Also, keep in mind that if a team trades for Patterson, they are only getting him for a year and a half (or a year and two thirds, I suppose), so they're not getting a guy under team control for a very long time. And that any well-managed team should be able to find a guy who can provide Patterson-caliber production (i.e., journeyman production) at a much cheaper price than Patterson's current salary. And that Houston actually IS a well-managed team, and Morey has repeatedly (and very recently) demonstrated that he can be expected to do better things with $3.1 mil in cap space than to sign/pay a Patrick Patterson-caliber player. I suspect that Morey values $3ish mil in 2013-14 cap space more than he values one more year of a journeyman forward, particularly when the team has multiple players who are younger and cheaper than Patterson languishing in the developmental league.

In any event, we'll see what happens. The February trade deadline is less than two months away, and Morey is pretty clearly far more proactive (and clever!) than the vast majority of his peers (meaning that I expect a trade to happen sooner rather than later). I'm beginning to think that Morey is content to just make three moves between now and that trade deadline: a) a 2-for-1 deal along the lines of the three examples I suggested earlier in this thread, b) sign Patrick Beverly, and c) trade Scott Machado to Chicago for Richard Hamilton and whatever additional asset(s) (presumably a lottery-protected first round pick) you can pry away.

2 people like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Some reasonable points, rogower, but I would still side with BimaThug in disagreeing with you.

First, I don't think Patterson is taking Jones' or Motiejunas' minutes. Specifically, Pat is out with an injury and these rookies still don't play. Instead, Parsons filled in at PF. The coaching staff simply don't think the rookies are ready based on what they see from the rooks.

Second, there is no rush to make a decision on Patterson. If they need extra cap room in summer 2013 because Chris Paul or Dwight Howard want to come to Houston (unlikely event, as are all other FA pursuits), you can trade Pat and/or other players to create room at that time. Otherwise, there really are not FA worth committing huge money to on a long term basis (if no CP/Dwight, HOU is likely better off keeping cap room open for 2014).

An extra 2nd round pick is also of very limited utility right now. Not worth much in a trade and the team really has enough young players and you can nearly always just buy a 2nd rounder (other than maybe the really high ones) with cash on draft night.

That said, I am not sure Pat by himself lands HOU a first round pick (other than from a team expected to pick near the very bottom). My guess is that if any trade goes down, Pat is a part of a package going out for something of more significant value.

6. RocketDevil

RocketDevil Member

Ever since Bima suggested (in a different thread) using our cap space in a trade for Rip Hamilton plus a draft pick I thought it was a logical move for both teams. The value to the Rockets is the draft pick and, assuming we are still in playoff contention, Rips value as a player this year. He doesn't figure in our future, and the $1MM salary we would need to eat next year would be a small detriment to our future. Before making this move for a second round pick, I'm sure we want to see Hamilton demonstrate that he has recovered from his foot injury. Because of the nature of his injury, it could easily be a nagging problem all year long or worse.

Clearly Houston, Phoenix and Cleveland are the teams which could do this deal without taking back a player. To some extent, therefore, we would compete with them to do the deal, but I don't see it as lowering substantially what Chicago would have to pay to do the deal. Recently, high 2nds and low 1sts have been selling for about $3MM. To take on Hamilton's contract you would need to pay about 1/3 of his contract or $1.6MM plus $MM for next year or about $2.6MM with $1MM counting against next year's cap. I think that is a good deal if you get Chicago's 1st, a bad deal for their 2nd. If Rip can really help us in a playoff run there is added value for us, and maybe it is worth it for Chicago's 2nd. We will have to see how Rip's comeback from the injury plays out to see how good a deal it might be for us. There is no added value for Phoenix or Cleveland, since they have no real playoff prospects, so I doubt we would have to compete too hard to trade for Rip plus a 2nd.

2 people like this.
  7. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

What's the status with this guy? Anyone have an update? Is it still a go?

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

I want to see this guy play in place of TD for a while atleast in blowout wins/losses

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

No thanks to Rip. I hate seeing our team serve as the old folks' home, where aging stars go to end their careers. Would much rather watch our kids struggle, hustle, and ultimately succeed.

10. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

We need another wing player though, and a high BBIQ player with 3-point range is just what the doctor ordered. Parsons shouldn't be playing 40+ minutes a night.

11. dmoneybangbang

I'd agree if Rip played PF/C. But I wouldn't mind a temporary vet in the backcourt.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Are you kidding me? A veteran champion going to an up and coming young team?

13. rogower

rogower Member

If/when Houston (or Phoenix, or Cleveland) trades for Richard Hamilton's contract and another asset (a draft pick, or rights to a prospect, presumably), it will be to get its hands on that asset, not Hamilton. Hamilton won't touch the floor for Houston or Phoenix or Cleveland. Hamilton is no longer relevant and I would not be surprised if he's out of the league after the season is over.

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

harden needs a backup and that will be anderson. Lin still has TD if TD will be here after this week. RIP wont see the floor in houston i think

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Nope, not kidding. He'll be 35 in February. And injured. Let's go with youth, until opportunity knocks.

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Did I read a post saying Anderson is freakin better than Rip? Oh lord... I question the BBall IQ of this board.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Even after signing James Anderson, we are still committed to Patrick Beverley. Feigen reports we are waiting on his contract buyout and FIBA clearance.

The Rockets will likely release forward Daequan Cook to open a roster spot for Anderson. The move is not related with the Rockets’ plan to sign point guard Patrick Beverley, who had been playing in the Russian League. The Rockets would also have to make a roster move to open a spot for Beverley, once he completes the buyout of his contract in Russia and receives FIBA clearance.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/12/rockets-plan-to-bolster-depth-sign-james-anderson/

18. Rocket Booster

Spartal St. Petersburg isn't a Euroleague team.

19. Grigori

Grigori Member

Somehow I doubt that Morey will be all that interested in giving McHale more rope to hang himself with. Here's the dealbreaker anyway: Rip can't run anymore.

20. Grigori

Grigori Member

Oh ye of too much faith in McHale.