1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd All star Returns in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 27, 2012.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't believe that Lin is a bad player or that he is not athletic or agile. I just don't believe that he is as good as some people think he is or as good as the contract he signed. I have nothing personally against Lin or as a basketball fan. As long as he is a Rockets player however, I hope he proves all his non-believers (myself included) wrong as it will benefit the team. I just simply don't think or care much of him as an individual player.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

That's really a small sample size to say anything. Although I do think they tend to be more harsh on Lin and don't buy into the hype.

3. jocar

jocar Member

Who votes players in the skills competition?
    I'd love to see Lin in that, and Harden/Clyde/Hakeem(substitute for WNBA girl) in the shooting stars competition :D

4. jocar

jocar Member

forgot... Parsons in the Rook/Soph game too

5. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Lin isn't making the all star team by vote or by coaches' decision. Moot point. Even if he did make it by some miracle, he'd play like 1 or 2 minutes so that the real all stars could get theirs.

6. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I see a lot of Asians saying, "I'm Asian, and I think he's overrated!"

I don't care if someone thinks Lin is overrated. I think some players, of all races, are overrated -- but what does being Asian have to do with it? Like they're embarrassed by Lin and trying too hard to seem "objective."

So when are your two friends going to join the NBA and outplay Lin?

7. jocar

jocar Member

I find it amusing how you two can condemn 1,000's of people based on a couple of dumb posts. Great way to make enemies of strangers!
    A+!

1 person likes this.
  8. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

Lol, wasn't Yi Jianlian almost voted in as a starter a few years back? The all star game has been a complete joke for quite a while now.

9. Jedster

Jedster Member

There's a good chance they were comparing him to Lebron and Kobe when they said that.
    I know I did when I said that Lin isn't a superior athletic a few months ago. In my head I saw Lebron flying THROUGH other players, and I knew Lin could never do that.
    Then again, I don't think many other players have outstanding athleticism or any particularly strong skills either. Taking a look at the Spurs game...Duncan is a 7 foot Mr Fundamental. He's not outstandingly athletic either, and neither is Ginobili. Yet they're really good players.
    But you're right about Lin and his agility/speed tests. Brute force air domination should not be the only mindset when I think about athleticism.

10. Quickman

Quickman Member

Initially, I would say I'm against the Lin voting because clearly he has gotten all those votes because of his race. But then I realize that I'm Asian-American first, a Rockets fan second, and an NBA fan third. Lin getting in the all-star game puts an Asian-American and a Rocket in the spotlight. I am definitely pulling for Lin to be voted in. When was the last time the Rockets had an all-star backcourt?

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

cmon Lin has all star skills..would you really be surprised if he is to dominate allstar game and be awarded mvp of all star game?
    I wouldnt...of course that may not happen but to me Lin has more chances o fbeing allstar game mvp than 80% other allstar players

12. Quickman

Quickman Member

I absolutely do not agree with you, but I'm also absolutely hoping you're right. That being said, I also hope the Rockets can sign Yi Jianlin and Asians can squeeze him into the all-star starting lineup next to a revitalized Yao Ming, Wang ZhiZhi and, of course, my yellow Asian butt as the starting 2-guard.

13. Quickman

Quickman Member

This leads to an interesting question, btw...

If the NBA had about 5 active Asian players in one conference, regardless of skill level, what would the chances of at least 4 of them being voted into the same all-star lineup? lol

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

u wot m8

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

I love it when minorities are allowed to become spokespeople for their entire demographic based on absolutely no qualifications at all except for their race.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

Some Asian-Americans are so eager to prove their "Not Too Asian" credentials.

Lin's not an outstanding athlete? Sure, he may not have Tony Parker's elite speed. But if you can regularly blow by most NBA defenders, you're an extremely gifted athlete, even in a league of extremely gifted athletes.

No particularly strong skill? He's one of the better penetrating PGs in the league, and he's a very good passer. Not much of a shooter, but he can work on that.

17. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

i'm a Rockets fan, and not just a Lin fan before i'm labeled a "LOF" however, that being said he doesn't deserve it...in my opinion Parsons deserves it more then him because Parsons has been more consistent with his scoring.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The Asian voters bring upon undeserved wrath and hatred on players like Yao and Lin because of their stupidity. And then they wonder why their favorite player is always under heavy scrutiny.

The voters and the fans are shameless while Yao and Lin feel embarrassed.

Be a fan. Just dont be a dumbass.

1 person likes this.
  19. langal

langal Contributing Member

So the thousands of whites who voted for Yao and Lin are ok? I guess u were one of those aholes who got mad when Yao made it to an All-Star game then. Afraid Shaq's feelings got hurt back then?

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

^^^

"Thousands of whites" LOL! Dont forget thousands of blacks, American Indians, Latinos....

Yes, I am sure the non-Asian voters see something special in Lin to vote him over Harden and keep him close to Chris Paul in the counting.

If you dont think the results are mostly due to Asian voters, you are either willfully ignorant or just plain ignorant.

#320 Zboy, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012