1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are the 2nd most-welcomed NBA team this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxD, Dec 27, 2012.

1. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Its Lin, and Yao before that don't forget.

Harden doesn't hurt, but what we're talking about is a demographic that feels kinship with our team not necessarily because they are Htown expats.

2. highlander3128

One thing I don't understand is that if Lin is that popular in the US alone, why people in Clutchfans called out Lin's votes for ASG were mostly form China? Is it the reason why people in the US want to see Lin in the ASG? Anyone feels the need to entertain this idea?

3. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Attendance is going to be crazy when the Rockets visit Golden State. I'm sure a ton of people in the Bay Area will turn out to welcome their local hometown, homegrown Jeremy Lin back. Besides the fact that he briefly played for the Warriors, he grew up in that place and the Warriors was his childhood team. He played his High School ball in the Bay Area and won them a state title. He even still lives there in the off-season, and wore a Warriors jersey this summer when he was working out with David Lee in Taiwan. I think there will be a ton of people at the game to welcome their local Bay Area kid home.

4. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Doesn't the visiting team share in the boxoffice takes?

If so, Les is probably laughing at Jim Dolan in private. The Rockets have just over one half of the Knicks' salary. They not only beat the Knicks twice this season but they stole the biggest boxoffice draw from the Knicks. The Rockets are #2 and the Knicks are #9. :p

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

All he does is LIN.

6. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Lots of people see the Knicks on the road. Don't know why they're only 9th. Small sample size, or Crazy Eyes isn't that much of a draw because people didn't realize he was still alive. Or maybe nobody wants to see the All-DUI team.

7. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

The Bay area media, along with New York media, Christian Post, Harvard Crimson and of course Asian American media and Asian media, still covers Lin's news closely. It's very easy to figure out where Lin's fanbase is when you google Jeremy Lin and see which media is covering him regularly.

Recently, I found many articles about Lin in Latino Post. That makes me scratch my head. :confused:

8. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Because nobody likes seeing a team full of AARP members? :p

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

James Harden and Chandler Parsons put butts in seats.

10. hkomives

hkomives Member

During the Linsanity period in NYC, the Latino newspapers had Jeremy lin all over the back covers for many days.

Usually they have msotly Latino sports coverage.

11. just a word

just a word Member

Been talking to my family, my dad says actually a lot of Mandarin speakers don't think they should vote for Lin because he's been sucking. It's basically the same discussion you see in GARM. With China, there's... a bit of political dissonance with Lin because while his grandma still lives in China, his parents identify as Taiwanese; you notice this in Lin's interviews where he basically refuses to be pinned down as either and I'm 98% sure that he self-identifies as American more than anything else. (and the 2% is that he might consider himself christian-american/asian-american lol)

Lin frankly has widespread MAINSTREAM appeal; casual basketball fans, who don't care if he sucks, they just want to see more of him.

Let me ask this:

Why is Justin Bieber so popular when most music fans just want to say "**** no"?

12. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Just another example of Lin fans everywhere, even in San Antonio. :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just got back to the hotel from working out &amp; the fans start screaming for @<a href="https://twitter.com/jlin7">jlin7</a> but I'm with @<a href="https://twitter.com/longlivethelam">longlivethelam</a> haha <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Priceless">#Priceless</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23comedy">#comedy</a></p>&mdash; Scott Machado (@_ScottMachado) <a href="https://twitter.com/_ScottMachado/status/284460376282783745" data-datetime="2012-12-28T00:46:53+00:00">December 28, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. my2cents

my2cents Member

Many NewYorker hearts broke their when Knicks let Lin walk. Some of them could not recoverand don't watch the Knicks game anymore.

14. munco

munco Member

As people have mentioned it's definitely the Lin effect. Not sure why it's not listed in the original post maybe sarcasm? It's 100% the reason.

The bigger question is why is attendance so low at home? Don't you guys in Houston realize you have the most exciting team in basketball??

15. trowa2

trowa2 Member

during linsanity, almost very road game was a home game

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

If Bieber was on the ballot - he would probably be starting..

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

SUCK IT HEAT!!!!

18. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Pretty much.

19. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Every team Lin faced on teh road almost became a home game for him cuz he would get cheers whenever he scored or did something when he was on the Knicks. was pretty funny lol

20. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

1. Jeremy Lin
    2. " " Whatever else you guys want to say.