1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd All star Returns in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ada32

ada32 Member

I don't think so. Now that you have educated me. It is not too late to join operation "White man can jump." :p:p:p

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

It's a failed operation, most of them aren't even close.

3. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Where does it say Lin felt awkward?

He handled it beautifully. He graciously accepted the invitation, had fun, and tried to shared the spotlight with his peers.

#163 Alex L., Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

I'm trying to keep an open mind about Houston (never been there) and Texans, but the ignorance and racist comments in this thread alone smell too much like red-necks to ignore.

Someone mentioned China Towns everywhere as proofs of Chinese invasion. Are you that ignorant of this country's history? The U.S.A. was built on the back of Chinese labors, and no, Chinese labors were not treated much better than African slaves. Chinese Americans have every right to claim ownership of this country as Irish Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans, Scandinavian Americans and African Americans do. Not to mention all the Native Americans came from Asia.

Then people assume Lin got all his votes from China. Have you even paid attention to the culture phenomenum called Linsanity? That didn't happen in China. It happened in New York. Have you paid attention to Lin's background. He's not from China. Unlike Yao, he doesn't have universal support in China (he has many fans in China, but no where near Yao's popularity). His parents were from Taiwan, which would hand over the key to the island in a heart beat if Lin agrees to take it. He's from the Bay Area, a California kid and California happens to be the most populated state in the Union. He went to Harvard, the first Harvard player to join the NBA in nearly 60 years. He broke out in New York, which happens to be the biggest city and the media capital in the U.S. He's a devout Christian, which happens to have the most followers of any religion in this country. He also has the perfect Underdog story and he's the perfect role model for scholar-athlete.

Lin's fanbase = Asian Americans + Californians + New Yorkers + Harvard Alums + Christians + Taiwaness + anyone who loves an underdog

Chinese fans would probably come in behind all these demographic groups. Plus, Linsanity was a worldwide headline in its peak. I've seen many Lin fans posting online from Europe to Australia. But of course, blaming China is so much easier to fit into the narrow racist mind.

BTW, from the comments I read online, some of Lin fans want to vote Lin into the All-Star Game to show up the Rockets' coaches. The reasoning is that the Rockets coaches would have to think twice before marginizing or benching an All Star. It's what fans do: showing support.

5. Peaceful Elbow

All Stars game is a joke.

[​IMG]

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Are you talking about chenjy9's post? He sounds Asian to me and being sarcastic.

7. Jedster

Jedster Member

There's a customer service area in Disneyland too where you can voice your complaints!

8. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

You're citing this inaccurate historical nonsense as evidence that the good people of Houston and Texas are ignorant and racist rednecks? Seriously? GTFO

9. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

yeaaa because if lin is not in the all star game in houston the arena would be empty.

GTFO you stupid bellend.

you know what would be a career enhancing move?

being a better 3pt shooter and practicing a better left hand.

those would be career enhancing moves instead of being embarrassed by real all stars in your own home floor.

go get a clue while you GTFO.

yeaaa because if jeremy lin continues to improve no way will he have fans ever again because he did a righteous and noble thing by turning down something he didnt deserve.

buncha dumb asses here.

10. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

BTW, do you know why the Rockets - Bulls game was prime time on Xmas?

Because China broadcasted it live. Taiwan has been broadcasting most of Rockets' games live and then runs replay at prime time at night. But China hasn't been. China chose to broadcast the last two games on Xmas because those were the only ones that make sense to China's time zone (14 hours ahead of Chicago). For China to get the Rockets game, the Rockets had to play at prime time here in the U.S. If the NBA only considers American audiences, it has no reason to chose the Rockets-Bulls game over the Heat-OKC or the Knicks-Lakers for the prime time slot. It's obvious China demanded the Rockets game and the league accomodated its 2nd largest market.

If you're a true Rockets fan, be grateful for Lin's popularity. Lin was the reason why the Rockets got featured on Xmas and played during prime time. It wouldn't have happened if the Rockets' PG were Gragic, Lowry or even James Harden.

11. Jedster

Jedster Member

You can include me in at least 3 categories on your list. But you forgot an important one I think...at least for me.

+ anyone who likes a classy character guy

For the above in the NBA, I include people like Steve Nash, David Robinson, and even Dwight Howard (before 2011). I'm sure there are many more, but these guys were prominent to me.

So people can't really say Lin fans are only supporting him cos of his ethnicity. It could be for some people, but I support him from 4 categories, and I suspect that most of his fans also support him from more than one category.

12. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Yes. This is his post:
    "Hasn't this already happened? Every major city seems to have a China Town. Every clothing and shoes I purchase are made in China. Hell, every year more and more jobs pick up and move to China."

It doesn't sound that sarcastic to me and I never assume someone is an Asian.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Personally, if I was Lin and I was voted in the all-star game, but at the cost of Harden's spot, I would feel pretty bad.

14. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

No, there have been a lot more racist posts than just one. I've seen racial slurs on here that were not deleted by the moderator or called out by anyone. I've seen racist comments about Asians, Asian Americans and xenophobic comments about China here that I haven't seen on the Knicks sites. After a while, I have to correlate it with Houston/Texas.

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You're an idiot

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

This is probably the most diverse bball forum out there. I think some people just being overly sensitive.

17. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

So report those posts. It does not make it excusable for you to make libellous statements about everyone in Houston and across the State of Texas.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

For all of you calling Texans/whatever "racist", who was the last face of the Rockets?

Hint, its an Asian dude.

19. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Let me guess, you are not a minority?

I wonder whether it would go unchallenged if someone uses the N word instead of the C word in this forum. If Lin were an African American who breaks into the NHL, would people feel so comfortable uttering so many racist comments about him? I doubt it. I have been living in some of the most diversed cities and frankly, the nonchallant racist comments here surprised me. No, this is not a diversed forum. Far from it.

20. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Houston is pretty diverse...