1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Avery Johnson FIRED!!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dave2000, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jvu

jvu Member

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

With Joe Johnson and D-Will running a Jerry Sloan offense I can see a not so poor man's version of a Stockton and Hornacek type backcourt.

Would be a good fit IMO.

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

1. He was playing through injuries last season, too, and missed 11 games.

2. Even then, Deron Williams shot 41% with a TS% of 53%, the latter of which is excellent for a guard, but still not quite in line with what Deron Williams was producing in Utah: TS% in the high 50s.

3. Ultimately, injured or no, it's hard to not believe Deron when he tells us himself that he is a "system" point guard and that what the Nets were running was limiting his production.

4. Of course this also means that with Avery gone, the onus is now on Williams to play his ass off all the way to the all-star break. He must. He has no other choice, no other scapegoat right now.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

The Nets signed Mirza Teletovic, 26, on a three-year deal worth $15.675

he hasn't played many minutes but was considered one of the best shooters in Europe..

I would consider this as a reason too

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

He was also fired in Dallas because the players didn't want him as their coach.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Back to ESPN he goes. :p

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The Little General was never above a Little Generalizing. Dude seemed to know fewer details about NBA teams than even Magic Johnson.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

D-Will AKA Coach KILLA!!

Avery was coach of the month for oct and nov lolololol

9. torocan

torocan Member

Deron Williams 2. Coaches 0.

Deron Williams has loads of talent, but he's played like crap for the last 2 years and change. And this season has lots of talent but is still playing like crap.

Is it the system? He *says* he's a system PG...
    Is he declining? Hard to say...

However, with this being his 2nd coach KO, he's running out of excuses fast. :(

10. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

Nets have a lot of good options available. Phil, Jerry... Nate McMillan is still available I think?

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Upgrades, all of them.

Even Mike Brown would be an upgrade.

I always felt like Avery was going to be the weak link in that organization's bold new bid for respectability.

I feel the same way about Vinny Del Negro and the Clippers, too. Sometimes it really IS just the coach holding a team back.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

better than Bill Simmons.....

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Same ol' names that always come up: Jackson, Van Gundy, Sloan, maybe a few others I'm missing.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sloan???? at least three in this thread are suggesting Jerry Sloan? lol

People, you do recall his history with Deron? Not sure if serious. You know Deron will never play for Sloan, again, right?

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I talked to Avery the day after he was fired from Dallas, real nice and friendly guy

16. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Just BSing here, but maybe Deron finally understands what he had in Jerry Sloan now that he's been coached by Avery Johnson?

Then again, Jerry Sloan couldn't even land the Bobcats job, so I'm not sure NBA GMs are as impressed with him as internet GMs.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When the star isn't happy....

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well, the Nets system hasn't been point guard friendly at all. I don't care if you are CP3, D-Will, Rose or whatever, that wasn't a good system.

The only thing I'd ask is if D-Will did all he could to change that system.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I'm sorry are best players couldn't make open shots. Yeah that's my dads fault totally...</p>&mdash; Avery Johnson Jr. (@itsaveryjohnson) <a href="https://twitter.com/itsaveryjohnson/status/284366766560391168" data-datetime="2012-12-27T18:34:55+00:00">December 27, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When will his teacher get fired? ;)

20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Jeff works 1 day a week now. I'm not sure what is pay is (I'm guessing it's close to the same), but why would he want to return to the stressful job of coaching, getting blamed for every loss, dealing with players who demand PT and the media before and after every game. He has more job security as an announcer. Unless they offer him a sizable pay increase, I don't see him coaching again.