1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. thething

thething Contributing Member

Patterson being injured may be a big reason for their success.

2. munco

munco Member

If it wasn't for Harden missing the second game against the Spurs, McHale/Sampson would still probably be yanking Jeremy Lin.

Just to refresh people's memories, on 12/8 Lin was playing fairly well against Dallas and for some inexplicable reason McHale benches the kid for the majority of the game and the entirety of the fourth quarter. Lin played 18 minutes (in the two prior games he also played limited minutes: 26, 20).

Then on 12/10 vs the Spurs Harden is out and McHale/Sampson are forced to play Lin for the majority of the game and Lin gets to run the show. He goes H.A.M. for 38 and it's like the coaches finally realize "oh crap. maybe we shouldn't just have this kid camped out on the baseline to shoot spot up 3s like he's Bruce Bowen or Shane Battier."

With all this said, we have been blowing teams out the last few games so I have to give McHale credit right now. It was just incredibly frustrating watching the 20 or so games prior when the offense basically had Lin standing around waiting to shoot a spot up 3.

3. liubaoxin

liubaoxin Member

Big time DIDO... Also remember, it was after the SAS game, then the TOR stinker, and lastly the NYN blowout that finally the coaching is settling on current winning trust play on JLin...

Jlin simply survived despite of bad coaching... Harden deserves big credit for not wanting to be the M. Jordan everybody eagerly wanted. He is now the true superstar team player of the MJ in his 3rd prime year !!!!!

4. Asian Sensation

I wasn't to pleased with the signing of McHale. I thought it was a major downgrade to go from Adelman to Kmac but the guy is growing on me. It's not just that we're winning right now even though that helps but he does seem like a good fit for this current bunch and the players seem to listen and respect him. I give McHale credit because he seems "new school" enough to connect with our young core even though he comes from the "old school" mentality and era. We all know he's not the best X's and O's guy but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand the game and know what it takes to win.

It was so sad to watch him walk off the floor after the Boston game crying. It's hard not to root for the guy.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Same here, I'm starting to like Mchale. I think he is a better coach than I gave him credit for.

6. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

now that the rockets are winning we will really see what mchale is made of.

7. gah

gah Member

Like many, I wanted to keep Adelman but I warmed up to McHale since last season. The only thing in the back of my mind that bothers me is the total collapse we had at the end, it still bugs me and I would like to know what happened behind the scenes. If that's repeated, then surely I'd want him gone. But overall, McHale has done a pretty good job with what he's had in both this and last year's group.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

Morris/Smith has been the reason why we have won? No.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Mchale is a good coach for this team. He's a players coach in the mold of a Rudy t. Guys just want to fight for him. I'm confident that every player is behind coach 100%. I think he overachieved last yr with that team. To be able to have the same record with the same talent as adleman had the yr before and still get 40 wins was amazing. If not for the late collapse he would have had us in the playoffs, as a 6th seed. Not to mention adleman is a hof coach and that makes what mchale did even greater. Is coach the best x and o guy prob not but is he one of the best motivational coaches who demands hard work and hustle? Absolutely. Mchale is prob the best coach for this team at the moment there's not another coach I'd rather have to build this young team up. He has the players respect and the old school mentality to put them in check if need be. The future is very bright and mchale is a big reason for that. This thread needs to be deleted lol jk because coach is here to stay.

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

#1 offense in the game, better than D'antoni/Adelman/Karl. Coach of the year candidate.

12. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Oh look, everyone who supported the idea of firing McHale 2 weeks into a season with a brand new team, is having their over-reactive guess work exposed.

I know better than to think people are learning anything. A 2 game losing streak will have the knee's of the impatient, jerking once again.

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Didn't like Mchale last season, still don't like Mchale.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Why's that? Doesn't give the future Chris Webber enough PT? :rolleyes:

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Now is the perfect time to fire him, while his stock is high.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think that is part of it, but you still have to give McHale SOME credit. I can't believe it's a coincidence that they go on a tear right after he gets back.

1/4 McHale returning
    1/4 Morris replacing 2Pat in the starting lineup
    1/4 The players meshing better and improving their chemistry
    1/4 Lin starting to play up to his potential

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Fixed :)

18. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

You guys are giving the dude way too much credit. If we make the playoffs I will give him his due. Until then Mcfu#$boy is still garbage.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What did he do to make you so angry?

20. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

It's easy to win using one strategy but what separates great coaches from average coaches is whether or not that coach can adjust when other teams starting devising counter-game plans.

McHale hasn't shown that he can adjust his current pace-and-space game plan when it isn't working out, so the jury's still out on whether or not this guy is championship material. I sure hope he is.