1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins: Get 'er done Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Should the Rockets pursue DeMarcus Cousins?

1. Yes

538 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

237 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Sorry I forgot to address one thing.

I am aware that he is on year 2 of a 4 year contract, but building championship teams usually takes years, not 25 games.

When I was talking about cap space, I didn't just mean next season but years down the line. The NBA is infested with bad long-term contracts. Seriously, research the list of players who aren't even in the league collecting huge paychecks.

If we were to get Cousins (realistically I don't even think this is an option, but for the sake of sports debate and killing time at work, let's continue) we'd have to commit a big contract sometime next season.

I don't even wanna imagine the kinda of contract drama a guy like Cousins would generate.

So would you want to deal with that? Would you want that hanging over an entire season?

I don't think that's a good spot to be in, so let's try and avoid it at all costs.
    Right now Morey has his 3 FA guys locked up for 3 years and that's really about it. This is the kind of freedom rival GM's must be dreaming of.

The team is looking better each week and creating a genuine buzz around the league. If they run their high-powered offense to a big win over Chicago on National TV tomorrow, see how many discussions the Rockets will enter into all over the sports media world.

Honestly I think the team is in a GREAT position right now. If we absolutely had to sign a 4 (something I'm not sure we even need to do at the moment), let's go for a proven banger/locker room guy.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That is almost assuredly BS. I feel like I'm sounding like jopatmc here, but there's no way Morey isn't interested in Cousins right now. DM's track record and the talent/contract ratio fly sqarely in the face of that notion. This is the perfect time to take a chance on a player like Cousins. We can only hope SAC is dumb enough to give up on him right now. We already know what Morey would do were he in a position similar to the Kings - see the Royce White situation.

3. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Cousins is a 5.

He would slow this team down at the 4 and his attitude is a wrecking ball to team chemistry.

No thanks.

4. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

We don't need Cousins. Asik and Smith are doing a good job at 5 and there is no problem with them. The biggest need, the main weakness, is the power forward position. Lots of player but with an average level. That's at the 4 that we must bring a very good player, a potential all star: Derrick Williams will probably be available soon. When he was drafted, many people tought he would become an all star. Unfortunately for him, he plays behind Love. He has more potential than Patterson, Morris, Motiejunas or Jones.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Buy low, sell high...

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I'm not trying to be a homer, but what exactly does Derrick bring that Morris doesn't?

7. trowa2

trowa2 Member

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

DM's track record for going for high risk-high reward players was because he was searching for a star. We have a star now...with the Lin and Parsons have been playing recently we might have 3. So before while gambling on these guys has no effect on the team, getting a cancer could destroy what we've been building this year. I'm not against getting him if the price is too low to turn down, but as it is we don't really need him.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I can't understand how people actually want this kid...

10. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Yes, in 8 years when he's matured.

Shocked by all the "yes" votes here. I'm sure this has been said many times over, but it's worth repeating. No matter how strong a talent a player is, they're not worth the gamble. Cousins is in his "me-first-i'm-always-right-immature" stage that lasts about 4-5 years. He has no respect and is a timebomb.

11. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

People use to say the same thing about Zach Randolph, that he was a head case and bad fit.

Good organizations can change a players attitude, and with McHale here I think Cousins could have a real chance to flourish. That said, I don't know if its the right move for us. I like the way Greg Smith is progressing and not sure if Cousins is a big enough upgrade longterm versus what it would take to get him here. Asik is already playing All-star calibre ball in his first year here, and with more reps I think Greg Smith will be a fine backup.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I've been a big advocate for him but after watching all the young guys shine today I think we'd do better to bring a veteran like Millsap(or someone else) who's a sure thing with our cap space in the summer. We've got enough youth/talent to groom for the future.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Translation of the report: Morey setting up for a low-ball offer. :)

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Uhhhh.........maybe not.:confused:

15. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

Williams is playing behind Love, one of the best (maybe the best) PF of the League and then he don't have much time.
    But he's 8 pts 4.4 rbds 0.4 ass 0.6 blks with only 17.5 minutes
    Morris is 8.9 pts and 4.2 rbds 0.8 ass 0.42 blks with 22.1 minutes

But overall, he has all star potential. He was very dominant in Arizona and has a big potential i don't see in any of our PF.

As well, excepted Harden, i don't see another star.
    And i'm convinced Williams has the potential to become at least a very good player.
    We won't be a real contender without 2 big player. We have only one and i see Williams as a possible.

OK, it's only my mind but i really believe a lot in this guy and he probably will be available soon.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

But Marcus is much more efficient than Derrick. He wasn't even seeing the court a lot when Love was out. He'd be an interesting prospect off the bench if we can get an upgrade at PF and Morris is shipped out.

17. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I won't pretend that I watch a lot of Timberwolves games or anything, but from what I've seen of Williams' jumper (something that a PF in our offense needs), I really just can't see why we would want him. His rebounding skills may be a bit better than Morris and Patterson, but other than that I'm not intrigued by him at all.

18. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

How good would a low-post scoring and rebounding PF look on our team right now? Z-bo or Pau...sigh.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Rockets' "yeah-but-he-has-a-high-ceiling" chase for knuckleheads does have precedent, though.

Eddie Griffin (r.i.p., sad story)

Royce White

DeMarcus Cousins? Intriguing, but a tough call. The team seems to be rolling now. I don't know if Cousins can become that second star that Morey covets. He doesn't have the mentality, or hasn't shown it; and who can say if McHale/Sampson could bring it out?

20. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Hell no to getting Cousins. The current team actually seems to be made up of good guys who like playing with each other. We don't need to poison that by adding one of the league's biggest boneheads.

Mental issues is where I draw the line on how "undervalued" someone may be. Royce White is an example of that.

Cousins isn't even that good. He's an inefficient volume shooter (under .500 TS% three seasons in a row now), as a big man. Poor defender too, going by +/- and opposing big man stats allowed.

The current Rockets are an elite offensive team with subpar defense. Cousins doesn't address the team's needs.