1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets be the next Spurs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zdrav, Dec 22, 2012.

1. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I think it's more fair to say Jeremy at first 50 NBA starts = Tony Parker at first 50 NBA starts.

2. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I'm pretty sure Ginobili and Parker at the same point in their careers did the same thing. Not fair to compare old vets to guys still learning the game and improving.

3. CertifiedTroll

My dad told me I could be anything if I tried hard enough.

4. allaroundplayer

Morey clearly was not joking in that interview.

Another factor is I don't see any way the Rockets trade for an all-star PF because they see Jones and D-Mo developing into as good or better player within 1 or 2 years than anybody they would get.

Plus, Morris is doing pretty good now. Patterson was doing so so. Not terrible not fantastic. White who knows? Best case scenario he will be serviceable too.

5. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Greg Smith = Duncan

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I listened to the interview. I know he's joked in the past about there being a player on the roster he can't trade because of his daugher (clearly it was Parsons).

There's no reason to think Parsons is actually untouchable. That would be silly.

7. nomangame

nomangame Member

Just one more superstar and we're all good

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The team was put together based on analytics, and there was a long journey for them to get to the Finals. Bucher wants to ignore all that and pretend their championship was won solely based on Carlisle's coaching instincts? Strange argument from him.

9. allaroundplayer

Morey: "He will be here."

How more plainly can you say a guy is untouchable than that?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey also said "He is restricted. So he will be back" when asked about Courtney Lee. How did that work out? Rockets don't want to give up Parsons, but I have no doubt they will do so in the right deal (which a Cousins deal may or may not be).

11. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Parker shot a much higher percentage and was a better dribbler, but Lin is a better FT shooter, 3 point shooter, passer, rebounder, and is better at steals, and blocked shots. You look at the complete game, and Lin is right there at a minimum.

12. carayip

carayip Member

Part of the reason that made the Spurs organization so good for so long is that they always avoid headcases like Cousins. Their most troubled player of the last decade (Stephen Jackson) is still miles more mature than Cousins. And somehow people dare said Cousins = Duncan Part II?! Lol.

13. allaroundplayer

There's a difference though.

Ginobili and Parker have always been about winning. International players emphasize team success much more than the United States. If a player gets hot that is an exception, but Harden and Lin are perpetually self-centered and consistently selfish always trying to accumulate personal stats like they desperately crave fan recognition and their individual "star status" more than anything.

One thing I noticed is how rare either player touches the ball, especially Harden, without trying to make a play and they often pass up easier shots to shoot the ball themselves. Lin could have made very easy passes on fast breaks against NY but didn't and missed layups.

It will sooner or later catch up to them and the Rockets will lose to better teams because of it. It comes down to heart. A telling sign is against Memphis, Harden made an and-one basket in front of the Rockets bench, and not one player even reacted or applauded. That is a tell tale sign that they disapprove of how he plays.

Of course, Lin tries 10 times harder on defense than Harden, so I have much more of a problem with him than Lin.

14. Quickman

Quickman Member

There was a time when the Rockets were a far more successful franchise than the Spurs. They looked up to us and banged their hands in anger wondering how to win like we did. Oh how times have changed.

15. allaroundplayer

Cousins = headache

If players do not have a good attitude, McHale won't even play them. I don't know if T-Jones has a minor injury, but I guessed that possibly could be why he didn't get in the game at garbage time. Maybe he is being lackadaisical in practice.

That alone rules out obtaining Cousins and the Rockets want stretch 4s to give Lin and Harden needed room to drive to the basket. I think there has been quite offensive improvement in this regard since Morris replaced Patterson. Notice how good the Knicks have played since Melo moved to the 4. It is the new trend of the league since dallas won the championship.

Cousins or Aldridge are not those type of players. I don't even think we saw Asik and Smith play at the same time last night, and Asik is a top 5 center defensively. They aren't going to acquire either of those players to replace him at center.

I'm sure Morey said that before the owner ordered him (when the season ended) to get Lin, which is purely speculation on my part, but I believe there are enough reasons to believe that is exactly what happened.

16. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

17. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Very interesting. What is your source for this info?
    thnx in advance

18. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

19. echu888

echu888 Member

Pretty sure Coach McHale will be in the HOF... ;)

20. JK1

JK1 Member

disclaimer: other than similarity that we have 2 players of color in the backcourt and a white swingman...

this style of the rockets team right now reminds me of Run-TMC.