1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets recall Donatas Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 18, 2012.

1. psingh34

psingh34 Member

the rockets starting line up is one of the youngest in the league.... they are ALREADY playing young people even if they are not rookies ... just look at how many years there starters have played in the league ..

Lin 24
    Harden 23
    parsons 24
    patterson 23
    asik 26
    morris 23
    smith 21

these players are key members of our rotation and all every young. You dont have to play rookies to be playing young players. Other teams who presumably have no problem inserting rooks as you claim are teams with more vets and they are inserting one rookie into a veteran team... the rockets are already playing young players, in order to play the rooks they would basically be taking playing time away from younger players... so if you play rooks like jones and dmo you are taking time away from patterson (3rd year player) morris (2nd year player) smith (2nd year player) ..that to me makes no sense

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't get excited about news like this anymore. Why call them up if they are not going to play? They didn't get drafted to be cheerleaders.

3. prs325

prs325 Member

The chorus sounds like the melody from the first verse too.

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

When are we gonna see what he looks like playing for the NBA?

5. jocar

jocar Member

Before weight training..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DURING..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bring on Shaq...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Beard

Beard Member

Wow this is the first time ive ever predicted a personnel move correctly...very exciting. Also excited to at the possibility of seeing D-mo tomorrow. 76ers are very small, nobody to exploit d mo in the defensive end. With a big game the next day vs memphis and T jones not doing to great, I expect to see him get a couple meaningful minutes for the first time, especially if morris isnt doing to hot

7. avangeline

avangeline Member

Pattern out for the season then.

8. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I would love to see Dmo play I think we need somebody with a post game and he is the only big we have that is good at it.
    I didn't watch him play much in the D league but up here with Asik and Smith playing with him they may cover up some of his weakness on D.

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I think there's a good chance either jones or DMo gets some run in the next 30 days or so. With the pace the Rockets have been playing at, Asik has been gassed in the 2nd game of back-to-backs, 2Pat is out, and Morris and Smith are prong to fouling at a high rate. And guess what? We have a 4-in-5 to close out the year, and another two 4-in-5 to in January, and between the 4-in-5s there aren't a lot of rest time either. The opponents aren't all playoff teams, but the scheduling is totally brutal.

I doubt jones/Dmo will be back at the RGV during this next 30 days, and whoever plays himself into the rotation could stay there permanently.

10. nbafever

nbafever Member

He did have ankle surgery during the lockout last year. That was the reason given for the dip in his play. Is it the same foot where he had surgery on?

11. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

I'm just tired right now of Asik not finishing. When you miss so many shots that close to the rim, it's like not scoring on a fast break. I'd like to see Dmo and Asik play together. Asik for rebounds and blocks, and Dmo to finish at the rim.

12. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

Date in title?

Can we start dating the DMo-TJo D-league send-downs/call-ups in the thread title? I'm getting confused on whether these are old threads resurfacing or truly a new send-down/call-up :eek:

Does anyone have a running tally of how many times they have been sent down and called back?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here's the way I see it. Unexpected situation or not, D-Mo is locked up until the Summer of 2016. Morris, Smith, and Patterson could all become free agents in the Summer of 2014.

The Rockets have made a significant investment in ALL three players, but they have yet to get a significant CHANCE at regular rotation minutes playing behind Scola, Dalembert, Camby, Bud, Parsons, etc. in the past.

This is a chance for the Rockets to use the first half of this season to see what they have in these 3 players before they have to make a huge decision about what to do with their careers.

D-Mo and Terrence Jones are locked up till 2016. What is the point in destroying the careers(AND THE TRADE VALUE) of 3 players(still with upside) the team has invested so much into, just to play 2 guys who are going to be with the team for another 3 years after this season at the very least?

As for Winning Now.... I think that's a factor but its not the whole story. Yes, Morris, Patterson, and Smith help the team win more games now than Jones and D-Mo would right this second, but I see it more as these are three players that have payed their rookie dues, and now deserve at least a half season to get rotation minutes before their fate as a Rocket is decided.

D-Mo, and Jones will get their shot either in the second half of this season, or they will get regular minutes next year just like it always happens every year.

Even if for some reason both players have to wait until next year to play regular minutes.... guess what.... Rockets fans will have 3 more seasons to evaluate their guys. Im sure by then, the clutchfans mob will have some other shiny new toy on the bench they want to see play instead of D-Mo and Jones by then.

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

For D-Mo it's third time, I guess no other player have been thrown up&down that much in NBA this season (in history?) :eek:

15. dobro1229

Good job. FYI, D-Mo will not play extended minutes tonight so dont get your hopes up. You can bank on that unless its garbage time. He was brought back because it looks like they have another 4 practices in Houston scheduled, and he has a chance to work with the Rockets coaches instead of RGV.

They use RGV for the players that aren't going to get rotation minutes to get some cardio, and work on their games when they aren't going to be able to do so due to travel, or heavy game schedule.

Also note that due to the Holidays, they might have the 23rd or 24th scheduled as an off day to spend with friends and family.

I dont anticipate D-Mo will get regular rotation minutes until after the all-star break unless there is either an early season trade, or more injuries hit the front line.

16. dobro1229

This is the first year that teams are allowed to send 1st through 3rd year players back and forth as many times as the team wants to. This will become a trend with every NBA team now. Not just the Rockets.

OKC has already sent Jeremy Lamb down to the D-League a number of times as well. Hell, Amare Stoudamire is getting work in the D-League right now. Lamar Odom got some work in last year in the D-League.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the loss of Pat, believe it or not, is significant to our chances of making the playoffs this year. From a win-now standpoint, he was the best option at the 4 spot, and had showed real strong improvement from last year. Being the youngest team in the league and also being 500, i started to drink the koolaid on the idea that making the playoffs would make us a more attractive destination for top free agents, and may be better for us in the long-run than a mid-lotto pick (especially given how shallow this draft will be). That said, I'm very excited to see what D-Mo and Jones can do, as well as Greg Smith's potential with more minutes at the 4-spot. And if it becomes clear that Morris and Smith are not gonna get it done playing big minutes at the 4 (i suspect neither will be the ideal fit), we should go all in on the Euro and the Wildcat and just let them play. What do we have to lose?

18. thekad

thekad Member

^Patterson has been pretty terrible for the most of the year. Sucks that he has this recurring injury, but his loss doesn't mean much to this team aside from the fact that McHale will continue to play Morris out of position more and more.

Honestly, at this point Terrence Jones and Motiejunas should be getting most of the minutes at the 4 with Patterson out. Morris backs up Parsons and Harden; Smith backs up Asik.

19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

yeah it hurts from the standpoint of lessening our chances of the playoffs. it also hurts because I think Ppat's stock was on the rise, but this injury can't help at all. I hope Dmo/Jones gets some time, but I'm not holding my breath. Like dobro said earlier, I don't think the staff is priortizing their development nearly as much as the 2nd/3rd year players and for good reason. Would be nice to see what the rooks can do though.

If anything, I'd like to make the playoffs and get rid of this pick obligation to Atlanta. Makes trading in mid-season difficult.

20. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

DMO Ready?

I wish i could make a legit comment...but since i don't have Comcast all i can do is look at stats and be pissed off.