1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give Blinebury a break!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steve francis, Feb 7, 2003.

1. steve francis

steve francis Member

While I wish he would be more positive when the Rockets actually play well(about half the time), he is one the few people willing to tell it like it is and pinpoint their problems. He singled out Rudy, Les, Mobley and Francis, holding them repsonsible for the fate of the team. He rightly singled out the tired "youth" excuse that some are so fond of using! I hope that these people have read the articles and take it to heart. The Rockets can and should be a lot better than they are. Blinebury is the most brilliant sports writer I have ever seen in Houston. He has a tremendous imagination and routinely comes up with amazing and apt metaphors. It's time the posters on this board show him some respect and give him his props!!!!!!!!!!!

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Read more, post never...

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

GIVE FRAN THE DAMN PROPS!!!

4. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

This is a great thread. All Star Threads For All Star Weekend.

First five people to agree with SF in this thread -- with no less than 150 words -- get a free CBFC membership card, on me.

awesome.

CBFC

5. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Fran, here is your prop !!
    ;)

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with SF,

I read only the second half of the article and saw Fran drop at least 5 or 6 superlatives down to Yao, so that "Fran never gives out props" argument can now finally end.

Also, Fran's articles keep us in the ball game (along with a post game from Feigen) with some clutch 3 point metaphors which helped slice the Rockets down and figuratively get us within striking distance of Rudy and Cuttino for a chance to bash them vicariously through Fran.

Yep lets put him in the trash, or edit him..... great idea......

Here is a question for all of you doubters, haters, non-believers, and fair weather Fran fans:

How many times did you pull your hair out when we lost games in 94-95?? I didnt think we had a chance in hell from the 6th seed either. And I couldn't begin to put my frustration into words beyond arrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg!! and Nooooo Vernon!!!

Patience is the key. "Choke City" articles are part of the experience. Growth is inevitible. Continue to be a Fran fan. Just BELIEVE.....

We are still learning how to read the Rockets folks, and bad metaphors are just part of the process.......

Dont knock yourself silly over this article.....

#6 heypartner, Feb 7, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2003
  7. steve francis

steve francis Member

To A-Train,

Read more, respond never...

8. edc

edc Contributing Member

I think someone should merge Fran with Bill Walton. We wouldn't hear too much from the fused entity because each of his utterances would have to end with a different, new, and bizarre method of comparing basketball players/teams to Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia, and/or the Dead.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My problem isn't really with Fran. It's with the Chronice. Because they are the only game in town, they don't have to hire anyone. So, they have Robertson, Lopez and Blinebury with the occassional contribution from Herskiwitz. Well, that is just lame.

Like anything in business, competition can be healthy. Without competition, Robertson and Blinebury have license to be EXACTLY THE SAME. I mean, am I the only one exhausted by Blinebury's constant use of similies and metaphors to make a point?

I'd just like SOMETHING, ANYTHING different from the Chron. Just because the same two guys have been doing columns for you for the past 20 years doesn't mean they are the most qualified or best for the job!

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Don't need 150 words, 5 will do

Hallucinatation

Fran is da MAN

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Fran, this is for you: [​IMG] Great job!

12. steve francis

steve francis Member

Jeff, you seem to think that anybody could write at that level for the Chronicle. However, this is a reason that you and I are not professional journalists. It takes TALENT to do it. It's an incredibly competitive business, one that many people would love to do but few actually can. And Fran Blinebury stands out among his fellow writers(including former Post writers Falkoff and Sefko) as much as they would stand out compared to any of us. It's far easier to write in ordinary prose than to consistantly conjure up relevant and brilliant metaphors to write about sports. It takes creativity and intellect do this, to a greater degree than most people possess! You don't have to like his style, but there is no need to let jealousy color your statements. I can fully appreciate and acknowledge Mr. Blinebury's superiority without envy. Why can't you do the same??

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Fran annoys me sometimes with his negativity, but I thought he had another good article in today's paper, this one on the thug appeal of the NBA.

14. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Uh huh ...

Ruh-hiiiight ....

Your entire argument assumes that Jeff or you or anyone else that doesn't write for the Chronicle tried to get a job there, but couldn't because they were beat out by Fran. Is that true for you? Did you apply and get rejected? I can pretty much guarantee you that Jeff didn't.

BTW don't state your opinion as fact (i.e., that Jeff can't write at the level of the Chronicle). I've read a lot of Jeff's posts over the years and in my, and many other people's opinion, he writes at least as good, if not better than any of the Chronicle writers.

15. steve francis

steve francis Member

I've never applied to any newspaper or even seriously considered doing so. I am realistic about my writing ability and that of most others. People don't realize how extraordinary Blinebury's writing is! I challenge posters on the bbs to come up with a commentary comparable in length to Blinebury's after every Rockets game while using as many metaphors. Most of us couldn't even begin to do it on that level!!!!

16. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

gig's up Fran! stop posting!

17. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Ok, I get it now. You are kidding.

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

sf are you really fran and you are trying to cover your ass?:D

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Steve: Actually, I know a LOT of people in the local media because I have a very close friend who worked in it for 8 years. I also was a journalism major in college as was my wife and she worked for the Chronicle at one time.

I'm not saying the Chron should ditch Fran. I'm saying I would like to see more variety.

Besides, ask any critic of the local media (try reading News Hostage in the Houston Press which is where I got the term "Random Metaphor Generator" to describe the imaginary machine that creates so many of Fran's colorful comments) and they will tell you the same thing. Having fewer columnists is NOT a good thing because they don't feel pressure to be good.

Oh, and despite what Launch Pad says (thanks by the way :) ), I have no aspiration or interest in writing for anyone and I respect and admire the skills of professionals like Blinebury and Robertson. I just wish we had some other options.

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I guess Blineburry and Feigan are playing the "good cop, bad cop" roles. :D