1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Snippets from Chicago paper

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heech, Feb 3, 2003.

1. heech

heech Contributing Member

From the Daily Herald:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/main_story.asp?intID=37655101

Oh shut the hell up. Compare your schedule to Yao Ming. This guy really isn't impressing me with his personality post-Duke. He complains about the offense, and his lack of playing-time/success... his father has come out publically "informing" the press that his son considered wanting out of Chicago... he takes over Jordan's locker despite the fact NO one has used it since Jordan left... and then he complains when the Chicago crowd gives Jordan a huge ovation upon his return.

I've always seen Jay Williams as a competitor against and measuring mark for Yao Ming.. so that makes me a little harsher on him. But speaking totally objectively, even if he was just some other random rookie, I'd still be totally unimpressed by his persona.

And a little more from the article:

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Are you kidding me?!?! Jay Williams is going to be a superstar! He has the court vision and athletic ability to be a major force in the NBA! Just look at what he did in college! He won a national title! Yao Ming is overhyped, fragile, won't be able to adjust to the NBA game, and will get pushed around by everybody in the post. He is going to be a complete flop, mark my words.

Sincerely,
    Duke Vitale

3. wiredog

wiredog Member

Are you being sarcastic?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Duh.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

No, he's serious.

That's why he's running with scissors. You don't run with scissors unless you're serious.

6. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

You're just missing one closing sentence.

"He's going to be awesome, with a capital A, baaybeee!!!!"

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know, it's really a damn shame Gettin_branded is no longer around for us to really rub this in his face. :D

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Duke Vitale... lol.

I forgot who said it, but I'll steal it anyway:

It's so fun to watch people eat their words.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks RIET... that was ****ing hilarious!

(and kudos to heech and A-Train :))

10. tariq

tariq Member

Isn't this the wrong forum for all this?

11. supermagichero

Duke Vitale, shut up and get out! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#11 supermagichero, Feb 3, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If it wasn't for the fact that I saw Vitale during this whole Lebron James fiasco I would have thought he was hanging from a shower rod or something. In fact he compared Yao to LaRue Martin. The guy shilled for Jay Williams as if Duke was cutting him a check every week. By the way, this isn't in the wrong forum because it's talking about Jay Williams. Here is Dick Vitale's "well-informed" opinion:

<i>In a column for ESPN's Web site, Vitale warns that Yao has all the potential to wind up like the forgettable LaRue Martin, who was drafted by the Trail Blazers out of Loyola Chicago in 1972.

"My gut feeling watching (Yao) is not positive," Vitale said. "Maybe I'm not being fair, but I see a player who won't have the body strength to endure the kind of physical contact that takes place on the interior. He will face superb athleticism day in and day out in the NBA, especially if he's in the Western Conference. I feel he will be abused inside.

"Some say he can handle the basketball well and shoot 15-foot jumpers. But is that what you really want from a player his size?"

While suggesting the Rockets pass on the Chinese star, Vitale offers an even more startling proposition: Trade Steve Francis to get help in the frontcourt, then use the first pick in the draft on Jay Williams of Duke.

</i>

Could you imagine how disasterous it would have been to the Rockets playoffs hopes and rebuilding program to pass up on Yao, trade Francis, and keep Jay Williams, especially since there wasn't really a big man the caliber of Ming available to get for Francis! I doubt we could have gotten Garnett.

#12 RocksMillenium, Feb 3, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  13. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

jay williams= bobby hurley

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Damn, while I was reading that, you were really pissing me off. Then I saw the end of it and I laughed. Good one.

15. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Somebody definitely would've gotten lynched by the houston mob.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Thats what I call, "Sh#t hitting the fan".

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We would've picked Stoudemire or even Dunleavy :)o ) over Jay Will.

In fairness, most of those comments were made by his father, and not Jay himself.

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I remember Vitale and Bill Walton were doing the color for Lebron James' first game and when they went to commercial, you could hear Walton clearly saying, 'would you calm down'.

it was pretty funny at the time

Vitale is an idiot. I can't believe this guy still gets air time.

19. foodworld

foodworld Member

That might be a little harsh there :)

But Hurley was one of a handful of players ever to total over 1000 assists in his collegiate career. On an ACC powerhouse that seems impressive. But is it? Maybe, but among the others was NC State's Chris Corchianni.

20. jeffreychang

jeffreychang Member

Excellent impersonation.