1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

from ESPN Insider

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by choujie, Feb 7, 2003.

1. choujie

choujie Member

Some information from ESPN Insider

Suddenly, Hawks talk is grounded

The trade talk surrounding the Hawks has cooled in recent days. The Spurs aren't going to make a trade for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, and the Sonics are stuck in a holding pattern.

Seattle is interested in adding Rahim but is worried about the luxury tax ramifications. If the Sonics added Rahim, then re-sign Payton to a three-year deal for roughly $10 million a season, they'd be well above the luxury-tax threshold. It won't get any better in 2004, when Desmond Mason is up for his contract extension. If the Sonics believe a combination of Payton, Mason, Rashard Lewis, Abdur-Rahim and their gaggle of 7-foot stiffs are enough to compete with the Lakers, Mavs and Kings, they should pull the trigger. If it isn't, what's the point in spending that kind of money?

One question everyone is asking? Why aren't the Lakers getting involved in the Rahim sweepstakes? A combination of Robert Horry, Tracy Murray and Samaki Walker (contracts all expiring this summer) would be enough to get the deal done. Rahim is the elusive, versatile, young third option the Lakers have been searching for. While Rahim looks like he'll never be a go-to guy, he's the perfect complement to Shaq and Kobe.

The Sixers are facing similar money issues. Larry Brown would love to get his hands on Theo Ratliff, but Sixers owner Ed Snider is asking tough questions. Will the addition of Ratliff, who has a history of injuries, be enough to propel the Sixers into the Finals? The answer is probably no. While the Sixers do need a shot blocker and a rebounder, that's only one of their problems. They still lack any consistent perimeter game, and the chemistry between the core is already shaky. As much as Larry Brown wants to tinker, if he can't convince Snider & Co. that a move will seriously improve the Sixers' chances, they're better off keeping Derrick Coleman, letting his contract expire this summer and getting under the luxury-tax threshold next summer.

While Jason Terry is getting some initial interest, the Hawks won't move him unless someone takes on another big salary (read: Alan Henderson's), as well. Considering Terry will be looking for a big contract this summer when he becomes a restricted free agent, teams are loathe to put that much money into a Terry-Henderson combination.

Teams want to try on the Glove

Of all of the All-Star participants, expect Sonics guard Gary Payton to get the most attention from GMs looking for the final piece of the puzzle.

Teams will be looking for a couple of things from Payton while he's here. First, there's been talk Payton, at age 34, is finally showing signs of slowing down. After getting off to a torrid start this season, Payton hit a little lull in January. He's picked up his game again recently, but teams are always trying to get a handle on how much a guy has left in his tank. Two, everyone wants to know where he'd be willing to play next season. No one wants to give up the goods for a rental.

Here's what one Eastern Conference executive told me from the lobby of the Marriott in Atlanta. "I think he's available if you're willing to pay out the nose for him. The ongoing feud he's had with Howard Schultz has hurt his standing more than he realizes. Schultz was the guy who put the brakes on [Sonics vice president] Wally Walker from trading him last season. The big question on everyone's mind is, what does he want to do next season? At his price tag there has to be some sort of guarantee that he's going to re-sign."

Payton told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last night that he's expecting to be wooed by some teams and players here in Atlanta. Expect a pretty intense feeling-out process from several teams in the hunt for that missing piece. But the question remains, would Payton agree to re-sign with any team that isn't the Sonics?

"Whatever happens is fine," Payton told the Seattle Times. "If something jumps off and it's a good team that I want to go to, then we'll think about it. It's not totally my decision, but I don't think a team will trade for me (if) I'm not going to be there (after the season)."

Miller not Jazzed to be a Clipper

Still trying to figure out what's wrong with Clippers point guard Andre Miller? I bumped into a source close to Miller just outside the Champs sports bar here in Atlanta last night, and he shed some light on the situation.

Apparently Miller is despondent with the situation in L.A. "He didn't believe any place could be as messed up as Cleveland was," the source said. "But he was wrong. No one is on the same page there, and he feels like there isn't anything he can do about it. Everyone has their own agendas. There's a lot of talent there, but everyone's going in different directions."

The source also said that the style of ball the Clippers play hasn't really meshed with Miller. He's especially suffered since Lamar Odom returned and took over some of the ball handling duties. So what are the chances that Miller re-signs with the Clippers this summer?

"Zero," the source said. "He knows they won't match a big offer, and he's pretty sure that at least Utah will come in with something big this summer. He'd love to play with Jerry Sloan. He isn't a real vocal leader. He thinks having a real disciplined coach and system will be perfect for what he brings to the floor. I'd be shocked if he isn't a member of the Jazz next season."

Clips GM Elgin Baylor, in an interview with the O.C. Register last night, seemed to echo those words.

"Miller has not played as well as he is capable of playing, and I'm not sure why. It could be that he's getting adjusted to the system. It could be that he has things on his mind. I know that he was concerned about his step-dad (who died Jan. 17). But he's a better player than what he's shown, and I'm sure that eventually he'll come around."

Speaking of the Clippers, don't expect Elton Brand to be a big player in the free agent market this summer. Brand's camp, led by agent David Falk, is concerned the Clippers do intend to give Brand a big offer. The problem is, Falk feels they won't give any money to anyone else. The last thing Brand wants is to be stuck in a long-term deal with a team with no hope of competing for a championship.

Falk is going to insist that owner Donald Sterling re-sign several other players first. If that doesn't happen, Brand won't risk signing an offer sheet from another team. If the Clippers' matched (like the Cavs did with Ricky Davis in Cleveland) he'd be stuck. Instead, expect Brand to sign the team's one-year tender (just like Michael Olowokandi did last summer) and become an unrestricted free agent in 2004.