1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the reason for the Rocket's losses and downs of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by longrangesniper, Feb 6, 2003.

?

What is the reason for the Rocket's losses and downs of the season?

1. Not getting Yao Ming enough touches and shots

33 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Rudy T's coaching decisions

17 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Selfish play of Cuttino Mobley

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Selfish play of Steve Francis

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Turnovers

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Field Goal %

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Inconsistencies at the PF spot

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Lack of effort

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. Overconfident when facing poor teams

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  10. Not enough support from the bench

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. longrangesniper

Houston is currently in a two game losing streak, losing poorly to both Minnesota and CLEVELAND who was 9-40 going into the game.

What do you think is the source of the losses and downs of the season?

Vote.

2. James23

James23 Member

besides not giving yao the touches and shoots, the rockets don't know how to win games down in the 2nd half of games. do they even have a plan on how to put teams away? who do they go to control the tempo of the game?

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

as of late the rockets have been giving Yao a good number of touchs. It's just that after a team gets blown out because of Yao, they come back and double/triple team him now, so that the rockets have a hard time getting the ball to him, or if they do, Yao turns it over because it is pokedfree or striped...he continues to hold the ball to low, but that is something he will learn to not do, and hold it high over his head.

4. longrangesniper

Then how do you explain last night where Yao only took 1 shot in the first quarter and only one more at the end of the half? The rockets were neck and neck with the cavs at that point, and in fact, they were trailing the cavs. Yao was almost nonexistant in the offense in the first half, then in the 2nd he started to get more touches. When Yao missed his first shot, the team just stopped going to him for some stupid reason. It is very frustrating to watch the rockets when they don't even get Yao the ball because he should be getting 2x more shots and touches.

Also, this first half uninvolvement of Yao has happened WAY TOO MANY TIMES!:mad:

5. longrangesniper

Maybe this thread is a chance to fully vent your anger at the Rocket's dumb playing decisions at times.:p

6. Uprising

I didnt see the Cavs game, I dont know how that game went, besides the fact that it sounded ugly. I tuned in to the chat room around the 3rd quarter.
    I agree! the rockets should give Yao more shots, I never said they shouldnt!!!

What i was saying is that teams are learning, on how to shut Yao down! I mean, look at the Timberwolves game. After getting blown out by Yao in houston, they learned how to stop him. The double/triple team was almost Instant! as soon as he touched the ball he had KG and that big Nestorvic (sp?) center on him. N. killed Yao in that game. He kept Yao around the perimeter and when Yao came in closer...that is when the double team game. They passed it down alot to yao, and Yao couldnt do anything with it, not because he is in capable of scoring etc, but because the defense was swarming him.
    Teams know that we need him to run the offense...

7. longrangesniper

Yes, I totally agree with you. :) It was just that yesterday and in other games, they could have gone to Yao more earlier in the game, instead of later. This was evident in last night's game. It was as if the guards and other players didn't need him, then realized after the half how important he is to the team.

8. Uprising

True, he did get off 8 shot attempts, which could have given him 16pts right there. that is if he was still playing like a god like he was for a while earlier this season.

he shot 4-8last night. Well, rockets do need to run offense through yao, and Rudy has to stop being their best friend and more of a coach.

9. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

It is not about feeding Yao the ball, it is about how to feed Yao the ball. Rockets players (not only the guards) seems not very skillful at passing the ball to the low post. The timing is just not right for the most of time. Despite how much you hate the Jazz, we have to wonder how the heck Stockton feed Malone with a ease. And this is contagious from the point spot to the center.
    I bet if Yao plays for Jazz or Nets, his stats probably will read like this:

20 Pt, 65% FG, 10 RB, 3 BLKS, and 3 Assists.

10. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

i think we lost all those games cuz the other team scored more points then us.

but im not sure.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Poor Officiating

12. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Wow, great poll... to bad you cant put your finger on just one of those though... :rolleyes:

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

The problem is a combination of all the choices listed. Its a little bit here and a little bit there.

14. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

The reason Yao is getting double and triple teamed is because our forwards can't hit a shot. I mean it was pretty obvious that KG had no respect for EG's offensive game at all. However, Posey and his jump shot, or lack thereof, don't help either. IMO the forward positiion (not just EG but Posey to) is more of a problem than the guard position if we want to consistantly run the offense through Yao.

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The reason is that we suck more than we don't suck. If The Rockets would just not suck more than they do suck, this team would be a lot better. We need more not sucking!

16. Nova

Nova Member

LOL.:D
    Classic A-Train.

17. cas

cas Member

All of the above. But mainly: Overconfidence when facing poor teams, Yao Ming's lack of touches and shots, Selfish play of Cuttino.