1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA please go back to NBC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Parlett316, Feb 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

ABC has dropped the ball. What happened to the double headers on the weekend? I can only watch games Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays now!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok I feel better now.

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

I wish the NBA would go back too. The All-Star game is on TNT now. I cant ever remember an all-star game being on cable. I dont have cable so I have to go somewhere else to watch the game.

3. mingbai

mingbai Member

I hope so too because I am in Toronto, Canada. Now only the cable chanels carry the NBA games but they always broadcast the eastern matchs. No Rocket at all. What a s**t!

:mad:

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

ABC doesn't have Peter Vecsey, and that is reason enough for me to like them.

5. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

That little song they played before the games made basketball. I miss that

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

ABC will start carrying weekend games after all-star weekend. NBC only started carrying games 2 or so weekends before all star weekend in their last contract that so there isn't much of a difference.

Personally, I really like the ESPN/ABC & TNT deal with the games. 5 games a week on cable plus any ABC weekend games coming up and now since the NBA is on ESPN they cover that a lot more on SportsCenter and such.

Chris

7. Asian Sensation

AustinRocket I agree.. I miss that NBA on NBC theme song before games with the pregame Hype up with a story for each team. I forget who did the voice for it but it was classic. And Hannah Storm was pretty hot too :D

8. Parlett316

The theme song will remain the same :)

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

ABC will broadcast very few games even after the ASG, way less than NBC did.

I've said it before. The NBA is practically moving towards cable. That is a gesture of making it a middle-class entertainment. What about the poor kids who have no access to cable, not to mention game tickets. It will eventually hurt the league's popularity.

10. OrangeCountyCA

me too!:( Those were the good days.

11. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

The one they play twenty times a game, sixty times over a tripleheader, or about one thousand friggin' times over a season? The one they play often enough to make you want to detach your ears and/or your skull from the rest of your body?

Yea, I kinda miss it too. ;)

Actually the best song in my book is the intro from CBS during the early 1970's. Yeah, it was silly, but I loved it.

12. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i miss the theme music

13. Val

Val Member

I think the NBA games were ruined when they moved from CBS to NBC. I miss the old days of Dick Stockton and Brent Mustburger. Those games were classic along with the theme music. I have yet to see a telecast on ABC, and I agree they aren't showing the same amount of games on TV as they did on NBC. And WTF, the all star game is aired on cable? Most of the US population doesn't have cable. Why the hell the NBA would do that is beyond my guess.

14. Parlett316

15. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I have to say I absolutely LOVE the new broadcast agreement! I get games 3 straight days during the week plus the 2 hour "NBA Fastbreak" show on ESPN Tuesday nights. Then, as a bonus, they have some weekend games on ABC during the weekend. I feel like I am watching a ton more basketball now than I ever have before. Plus no more Vecsey or Costas!! I like all of the TNT & ESPN personalities than the ones on NBC.

This has been by far and away my favorite year of basketball on television....minus Tim Hardaway, that is...

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed!

Chris

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

John Tesh.

Freaking John Tesh. He came up with the NBA on NBC theme. I like that voice over guy too.

I remember in the mid/early 90s during the intro, they had Bird, Magic, and MJ shooting baskets. They would shoot two at a time, and the next person shot four at a time, and the next person shot six at a time.

I liked it when they would do that intro part, and then pan a shot to the city where the game was. They would either show the arena building, or some famous landmark or the downtown landscape.

Hannah Storm is from Houston. No, I haven't found her house yet, so I can't hide in her tree, or peep through her window.