1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another monster 3rd Q for Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by T-2, Feb 2, 2003.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Keep talking. Y'all are laughing, having a good time now, but wait until next time.

We're gonna run it up your butts.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The ~Rockets~

will never be "out."

;)

3. AGBee

AGBee Member

Mavs lost to a pretty undermanned Kings team that was slumping...does the L count?

4. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Once again the Mavericks do what they do the best, lose to one of the good teams, this time the Kings were w/o Webber, Jackson or Pollard. Obviously the win matters, the Mavs were playing well, and the Kings were slumping, they still defeated the Mavs. It really tells you something about this Mavericks squad.

I'd really hate to be a Mavs fan right now, but I'm certain you have an excuse for everything, tell me whats your excuse for this game.

5. Bookit

Bookit Member

I'd really hate to be a Mavs fan right now, but I'm certain you have an excuse for everything, tell me whats your excuse for this game.

The amount of jelousy of the Mavs success is amazing. Lets see, here is an excuse. The Mavs played last night in a thrilling game against the Jazz in Utah. They flew home and arrived at 2:00 am. The Mavs then had to play a team with their backs up against the wall who has lost 5 of 6. Bibby and Christy were in major slumps and both broke out tonight. Also the game was the Maverick's 5 game in seven nights. They got off to a slow start and that ultimately cost them the game. Sacramento would not be denied tonight. BTW, how did the Blazers do against the Jazz the other night?

6. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

The Blazers defeated the Magic tonight and Pippen had a monster game, 25 points, 17 rebounds, 7 assists. 21 out of their last 26 for the Blazers. How do you expect for your Mavs to do anything in the playoffs if they can't win simple significant regular season games.

You consider an 8 point performance by Christie a breakout performance? You've got to explain that one to me.

7. Bookit

Bookit Member

Christy hit two CRITICAL shots to close out quarters. You never answered, how did the Blazers fare against the Jazz the other night? Was that a "simple significant game" or can you pick and choose those games to tailor your point. How 'bout when the Mavs blew out the Blazers by 20 in Portland? Was that insignificant too? Don't get your hopes up too much this year. Pippen will soon be injured and the Blazers will come back down to Earth.

8. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

NBA 2night, the words of Tim Legler and Sean Elliot, the Mavs will not win not win in the playoffs because they cannot make defensive stops. They are at least a few years away from being a serious threat, unless they get a talented big man to compliment Dirk.

To address the Blazers lost to the Jazz, they had an off game, you know you can't win them all. But to be brutally honest this loss doesn't really mean all that much because who really thinks the Jazz will accomplish anything in the playoffs. I'll give them their due for still winning games but their best years are clearly behind them.

Critical games are against, the Spurs, the Lakers, the Kings, the Blazers, and possibly the Pacers or Nets. Just because a team has a winning record doesn't mean that game is necessarily important.

Pippen will not get injured and he will keep the Blazers on their winning streak.

Dallas is starting quite the trend, losing to good teams minus their all star power forwards, whats next they're going to lose against the Duncanless Spurs (hypothetical situation).

9. Bookit

Bookit Member

We'll see this spring. Pippen always get hurt. Don't forget, the Mavs are 2-1 against the Blazers this year. Oh, I forgot, those 2 wins don't count because the Blazers "weren't playing well" at the time.:D

10. Mr. Slim Citrus

Mr. Slim Citrus Contributing Member

A Mavs fan and a Blazers fan having a p****** contest on a Rockets board? :confused:

11. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I mean the wins obviously count in the standings but it's pretty easy to beat a team when they are playing poorly. I mean personally I would think you would care, because when the Blazers defeat the team, I want it to be that they both played well and the Blazers simply played better because they are the better team. Not because one team is playing well and the other team at that time was not playing well (Blazers).

Don't be all that happy, I'd be upset after losing to the Kings who even my very inconsistent Rockets defeated.

12. Bookit

Bookit Member

Don't be all that happy, I'd be upset after losing to the Kings who even my very inconsistent Rockets defeated.

This is lame. Lets see, the Mavs beat the Rockets the other night. Does that make Sacramento a bad team because they lost to the Rockets?:confused: Or does that Make the Mavs bad because they lost to the Kings? Oh, wait a minute, the Mavs beat the Jazz the other night and the Blazers lost to the Jazz. Do the Blazers suck? Dumb argument.

13. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

LOL! Talk about a double standard.

The Mavs lose a game to one of the top two teams in the NBA and he says they suck.

The Blazers lose to a team they will be competing with for seeding in the playoffs, and he says "they just had an off night, they can't win them all". What a loser.

So Pippen had a good game last night, how many good games does that make for Pippin this year? One game?

The Blazers are a joke, and they will prove it once again come playoff time.

14. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Mavericks are currently 0-1 against Spurs; 1-1 against Lakers; 0-2 against Sacramento. Those 3 makeup the pre-season "Big 4" of the Western Conference. The Blazers (of late, mind you) are beginning to look like they might make it a "Big 5". Truly, games played against Portland in November were easier than ones played in January; the fact is not debatable; but I digress.

Against the other 3 of the "Big 4" the Mavericks are 1-4!!!! The Mavericks have been RUN out of the playoffs the past two season by 2 different of those 3 in convincing fashion. The Mavericks win with great shooting and transition. The Spurs, Kings, & Lakers are capable of lowering opposing shooting % dramatically, and the Lakers and Spurs can just about completely eliminate ANY transition baskets. If it doesn't happen in game 1, over a 7 game series Jackson or Poppovich WILL make adjustments to limit the Maverick's effectiveness and the series and each game WILL boil down to a string of half court possessions. In a half court set, who is going to score more often Duncan on Nowitski or Nowitski on Duncan? In a half court set who is going to score more often Shaq on the Mavericks (hell clear the bench with that weak squad and he still gets to the rack), or the Mavericks on Kobe & Shaq??

Just look at last night's game; Nowitski makes a great shot; but the Mavericks let a guy get a relatively easy throw down for the win!! Then the Kings shut Dirk down, and engulfed him on his final try!! How the he!! do the Mavericks let the weak side get that kind of run at the rack in that situation??? GLARING WEAKNESS. No defensive fundamentals. Playoff EXIT!!

Trust me, I know, I had to watch my 62 win, high flying, high scoring Spurs get it handed to them by the seasoned (48 win) Rockets in '95 because the Spurs simply could not get a stop in crunch time!! Ultimately that style of play got Bob Hill fired, and Pop replaced him, put in a defense first attitude, and won a ring. The Spurs have never won more regular season games than they did in '95 - but the team they have now is better built for the playoffs.

15. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

See, now why don't more fans of other teams respond like this instead of just saying ... The suck, they'll never win anything ... I can respect a response like this much more then just asinine comments.

I also have to say that I agree. You know I really like Nellie as a person and he has done a GREAT job in turning a pitiful franchise around however I don't think he has what it takes to win a title. Does his son have what it takes? Maybe, maybe not. I think Dallas is in a similar situation to the Tampa Bay Buccs this year. They had a great coach in Dungy that did a great job in turing the franchise around but they had to get someone else in there to put them over the top. Dallas is in the exact same situation.

If the Rockets really want to get rid of Rudy T, I as a Mavs fan would love to have him coach our team. He's proven in the past that he knows a thing or two about defense.

16. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Screw the Blazers are a joke, Pippen one good game, I hope that you realize that the blazers started to winning because Pippen is now playing the Point Forward. You criticize me for not giving enough reason as to why the Mavs would not win, but what reason have you given that the Blazers will not get it done.

How is a double standard, what matters the most in this league is winning the Title, the Kings have a chance of winning it and the Jazz do not, what about that do you not understand??

17. Bookit

Bookit Member

101 6 7, thank you for your informative post. Your rant must have taken some time to produce. I will try for a rebuttle. The Mavericks were NEVER considered a contender in years past. So how can you bring up the previous 2 years playoff results into your argument? This year's playoffs is what really matters. Not last year's or the playoffs the year before. The Mavs are getting better and it is only a matter of time before they break through the second round.

The Mavs record against the "big 3" is not good this year I agree. But the Mavs beat the Kings 3-1 last year and blew them completely out of the gym in one game. Did the Kings get better as the year progressed? Yep, and it will happen with the Mavs this year. The Spurs? Well they are definetly playing better that is for sure. But they only played the Mavs once this year and that game was without 2 of our starters. Dirk and Najera didn't play in that game. Also, that game was played in San Antonio. The Mavs and Spurs haven't played in Dallas yet. Another thing, that game shouldn't count anyway since this is only the regular season. Right? At least according to most arguments the regular season doesn't matter.

If there are truely no excuses then the Mavs are 1-1 against the Lakers this season. They lost in LA and won in Dallas. What is the big deal here? Oh yeah, the Mavs win doesn't count because Shaq wasn't playing. Well it that is the case then the Spurs win against the Mavs shouldn't count either since Dirk didn't play. BTW, how many games have the Spurs beat the Lakers with Shaq in the linup? Oh, and neither of those games count anyway because the Lakers weren't playing well at the time? :confused:

Also, you can talk about Popovich's greatness all you want but if the Spurs didn't tank a season and end up with Duncan then Pop would be just another spare coach trying to break even in the NBA.

You really can't judge Dirk's last shot last night and label him a choker because he ALWAYS hits clutch shots night in and night out. Dirk is a stud, period. He also hit 2 incredibly late shots to beat the Timberwolves the other night.

Finally, last night the Mavs were on the backside of a dramatic win in Utah the night before. How many big games has the Spurs won after a back to back? The Mavs got off to a slow start and it cost them.

18. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Bookit,

A little less hostility, please. A little decorum should be observed if we are going to take up space a non-related message board.

First, I am sensitive about the "tank" season; I must respond. Robinson was injured for all but 10 games that year; Elliot was out the bulk of the games as well. The Spurs leading scorers that season were....Dominique Wilkens & Monty Williams. That team managed to win more games than Boston - if they were tanking wouldn't you thing they would make sure they had the most PP balls? - And Boston had somebody elses balls who finished just ahead of the Spurs - Spurs got a lucky bounce as a repayment for losing an entire season of a hall of famers career (and another of a solid all-star). Bob Hill had Robinson, Elliot, and Rodman (three nba all defense guys) and couldn't devise a plan to slow opponents down when necessary - he NEVER would have won a ring with or without Duncan.

Also, my post was not pumping up the Spurs over other teams, it was intended to simply say the Mavericks are not prepared with their style of play to compete in the playoffs. What, exactly, makes them "contenders" this year? More regular season victories?? Quick, how many times have the Lakers had the most regular season victories during their 3 year run?? (Once). In your world are the Lakers contenders now?? Why or Why not?

The Spurs finished with the same regular season record as the Lakers last year, and had a better regular season record against the Lakers the year prior (although the Lakers won the actual series between the two teams each year). Under your obvious logic this would translate into the Spurs being "contenders". 1-8 ain't contending. The Lakers were, and probably are, better prepared RIGHT NOW for a playoff run than are my beloved Spurs (Which is why I'm so glad Pop has been so efficient in his shopping and my "contending" team has $16 mil. to spend this off season to make sure the Mavs only get 1 division title before the world rights itself.

By the way, while were on the subject, if the Mavs DON"T win it all this year, how's there future cap space look?

19. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Off the top of my head, a day after beating Seatle, Spurs won IN SACRAMENTO (With Webber, Bibby, AND Jackson). Spurs held Sacramento to season low fg%, if you were wondering.

20. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

101 6 7 great comments,

TO: Mavs fans
    My posts weren't really intended to boast about the Blazers, my intention was to state that the Mavs would not get out of the 2nd round. Hell did you happen to catch Nelson's comments after last nights game, very disheartening words.

I'll paraphrase, I don't know why we're considered contenders and we've never considered ourselves contenders ( for the title that is). There was more but I really can't remember it right now. Stern encouraging words from the head coach.

To address the Dirk last second shot, I saw it and honestly did not think it was that horrible of a look, it's a shot that I'm pretty certain he could hit and if he had to take it again, it might go in the next time around. But ultimately the game should not have come down to that, meaning that it should not have been that close.