1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. Naismith

Naismith Member

You forget Hou. is a football city. When super bowl is over the Rockets will local tv.

naismith

ps. hello,friend

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Is this crap still going on?

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Well, if that happens then congrats to the tens of Astro's fans that will tune in. I won't be one of them.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Rockets games are not carried by just one carrier. Rockets games can also be seen by subscribers to:
    Coastal Link
    Consolidated Communications
    EnTouch
    Phonoscope

Some of the smaller cable providers are providing the channel to their customers, but the big providers choose not to do so. Could it be that the smaller providers value and care about their customers more than the large providers? Do the large providers just view their subscribers as nothing more than a faceless number, and just a way to make billions of dollars every year?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If either the Astros or Rockets are to be blamed it's for what they've already done...not for what they are or are not doing now.

They turned over control of negotiation to Comcast in exchange for a hefty sum. Comcast is running the show now...not the front offices of either the Astros or the Rockets. Calling to b**** to the Rockets or the Astros is not of any practical use in terms of forcing a resolution to this issue.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Congrats Rockets, I've almost completely tuned you out! I'm not even considering buy and Rockets gear and don't even know when your games are. As a lifetime Rockets fan, this is killing me. I'm just glad I have the Texans and Aggies to focus ALL of my attention on.

7. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I've already missed more Rockets games this season that I have probably missed in each of the last 6 seasons combined.

The sad thing is...I haven't really missed them.

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

I've missed them. I wonder if they'll ever miss me. Or all of us in this absurd hostage situation? This is like waiting for freaking Godot.

#1928 eman, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's exactly why I'm mad. The Rockets (and Astros) have an obligation to make sure their games are available to all their fans. At least they should. Right now, it just doesn't seem too high on their priority list.

LOL, does anyone in Houston actually subscribe to any of these carriers? Hell, has anyone even heard of any of these carriers?

Yes, I'm sure that's the only reason all 3 major carriers are working together to not carry the channel. I'm sure there's nothing else to it at all....

1 person likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is what I don't understand. I do understand being ticked off. I do understand wanting to protest with one's wallet by not buying tickets or merchandise. What I don't understand is why abandon the team? The players and coaches have no direct involvement in this dispute.

11. ima_drummer2k

Ever hear the old expression "out of sight out of mind?"

12. bobrek

So a Rocket fan can only be a Rocket fan if they can watch them? That concept is foreign to me. I generally see less than 10 games a year, yet I read about every single game they play. At times I "watch" via ESPN game center. It's not that difficult to follow the team even when they are not on TV.

13. ima_drummer2k

No, it's not that difficult. But you have to admit that it's not as much fun, right?

The concept of being a fan of a team without watching them on TV is foreign to me. Yes, I still check scores and stats every game night on my phone, but actually watching the games is a lot more fun to me. Crazy, I know...

14. bobrek

Oh, I agree that it is always more fun to watch your team play, I just don't understand why fans are abandoning the Rockets' players and coaches who have little to nothing to do with this dispute.

I grew up in the old days when games were seldom on TV and the playoff games were tape delayed until 10:30 PM.

#1934 bobrek, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  15. Grigori

Grigori Member

Comcast doesn't feel like those small providers are threats/serious competitors, so Comcast can offer them reasonable terms, whereas Comcast wants to offer the big providers outrageous terms as to prevent a deal from getting done to hurt the big providers. Dragging this thing out helps Comcast while hurting the Rockets/Astros, the fans, and the big providers. Comcast is the only winner because the Rockets/Astros are stupid and don't realize that their interest is not important to Comcast.

16. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

The organization wanted it this way...or they dont do the deal with comcast.
    We have all new players except for a few youngsters, and I dont really care for McHale as a coach. I like the old championship Jerseys the best....That being said, I still dont get to watch them on TV. The Rockets are only hurting themselves and their loyal fan base.

17. bobrek

Why would a "loyal" fan turn their back on the players? As I have said, I understand "protesting with one's wallet" by not putting money in Alexander's pocket either directly or indirectly, but what does James Harden or Chandler Parsons or any of the players have to do with this? Wouldn't a "loyal" fan support the players?

This is the same sort of rhetoric that we always hear when players go on strike or owners lock out the players and the majority of fans always go back.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What are the terms being offered to the smaller providers? Do you know for a fact that they are being offered something different than what is being offered to the large providers, or are you just making a guess?

I heard that Comcast wanted something like $3-4 per subscriber for CSN Houston. I don't know if that is an outrageous amount or not. I do know that the big providers like DirectTV and DISH make billions of dollars of net profit every year from their customers subscriptions.

19. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Those smaller companies can't negotiate, they have no leverage. They have to take the channel at whatever cost, because their customers have no other coverage options. And yes, 3-4 dollars is an outrageous amount. None of the large providers have the channel, that should tell you something.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not abandoning them...but it's very difficult to follow them. Looking at box scores doesn't tell the story of how a team is playing. It's hard to develop any sense of being a real fan for a brand new cast of characters that you've never seen play together.

Tonight I'm going to the game...this will be the first time I'll actually see them play this season.