1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: "Where was Jeremy Lin?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Nov 16, 2012.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Just using that as what ppl probably were thinking in the back of their heads when they see the same thing happening again.

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Oh the drama ! Well at least we're b****in cause we think we should be 6-3! Who woulda thunk it?

We are fun to watch but boy did coach blow it last night. Sunday oh my my. Sunday.

Must see tv ! ( well off the damn innertubes anyway. Curse you Comcast/ATT !)

3. rocketsfan7

rocketsfan7 Member

Lin's Reality Distortion Field affects everyone differently.

Even simple math is distorted. Here is our own ClutchFans.net twitter feed :eek: :

"Fans buzzing about Rockets sitting Jeremy Lin the entire OT, but Damian Lillard scored 11pts on Lin in the final 4:05 of regulation."

<N/A>

"@pinkpeony28 Lillard scored 11 in the final 4:05."

"@prefixmag Check the box. Lillard's 11 all came in the final 4:05."

<N/A>

"Lillard did score 11 in the final 4:05 of regulation, but my mistake: Douglas was in for 3 of those points, 8 with Lin in."

4. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I hope you're trolling. Because you're the kind of fan that taints all Lin fans negatively by association.

Please leave the internet forever.

5. nono

nono Member

I think Sampson must have been the one who asked Morey to sign Douglas. This is why he keeps on playing him so much, even when McHale had him out of the rotation the last time he coached. It's hard to admit you've failed, which is what Sampson would have to do if he doesn't play Douglas. Sampson trying to justify the Douglas signing by having him win game in OT.

6. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

too be honest... and I get the feeling most LOFs would agree...

I didnt want Lin to come back into the game.... or any future games, for that matter if they want to make him into a spot up 3 point shooter...and deferbot

you can go out and get a PG with a better handle on the ball and spot up shooter...

7. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Can you make a thread where you post all your thoughts on a game with the stats please! You rock man!

8. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

where was douglas' defense on lilliard? nothing there.

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Jeff Van Gundy would look real good on the sidelines

10. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, that's not the Only explanation.

Another reasonable explanation is emotional bias.

Emotional bias means that we tend to remember those events that are spectacular. Not only do we remember them better, we give them more weight when assessing the impact of that event.

It's like airplanes. Airplane crashes are spectacular, so we remember them. As a result there are lots of people who believe Flying is as risky as Driving, even though Driving is in actuality FAR more risky than flying.

Here are the actual statistics.

Fatality risk.

Airliner (Part 121) 52.6 million to 1
    Automobile 7.6 million to 1
    Commuter Airline (Part 135 scheduled) 581,395 to 1
    Commuter Plane (Part 135 - Air taxi on demand) 163,934 to 1
    General Aviation (Part 91) 73,187 to 1

You are 7x more likely to die on the road than in the air.

What does this have to do with Lin?

Lin is not a "spectacular" player. He doesn't do breath taking dunks, or do exotic between the legs and behind the back passes. He doesn't take on ridiculous ISO's, or shoot amazingly difficult shots.

He's just quietly efficient -- So efficient that you don't even realize what he's doing during the game until you look at the boxscore and statistics later.

Case in point. Remember that 38 point game against the Lakers?

In the post-game interview, D'Antoni said he had NO idea that Lin had scored 38 and 7 assists. He knew Lin had scored some, but figured he'd put up 15 or 20 points and some assists.

He was completely stunned when he saw the boxscore. His COACH had NO idea how well Lin was playing.

This is what Lin does. He quietly racks up points, assists, steals, blocks and rebounds... and people don't even realize it.

It's easy to be harsh on Lin when you can't even remember the games he's played well. Posters will say he played awful after Miami, yet post-Miami he was still racking up 16/6... borderline all-star numbers as the #3 shooting option behind Amare and Melo.

Memory is a funny thing...

1 person likes this.
  11. Luca

Luca Member

Hats off man, please keep posting with the Stats.

1 person likes this.
  12. kent335

kent335 Member

The way Sampson coached last night makes me wonder if he had money on the game.

13. whitedog324

whitedog324 Member

No, it's 2 points on Lin, 9 points on Douglas. You got it wrong again.

14. rokit

rokit Member

why is there no lin ISO even with harden on the bench? it seems to me that whenever lin tries to do it the spacing is just terrible, it always looks like the rest of the team is busy doing something else instead of just spreading the floor and letting him play.

crazy, considering how lin was just behind CP and harden last season when it comes to ISO plays.

15. jacky c

jacky c Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFKdfxIQSlw

2:10

thats what we want to do much more, comfortable for Lin, easy open basket by Harden or others.

however, Lin is though, no doubt about that, he's growing as long as he's on the court. He's going to improve everything on and off the stat sheet.

The question is, as an interim head coach, I got no reason to bench a 8m young core starter already proving he can play unless it's my call to cut him. How can I let him grow to prove I was wrong? period.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

Lin is an NBA calibre player, PERIOD. By now, people should stop questioning whether he even belongs in the league. Give him the ball, and he's always good for at least about 6 assists a game, no matter who's around him.

The question is now how much better is he than the average NBA player.

17. wendzall

wendzall Member

really curious to see what happens sunday night with substitutions and play calling by sampson. also curious how mchale will digest things when he gets back. although, he is going through a very difficult time personally, in our connected world, i'm sure he is well aware what happened last night in ot and at the end of the miami game.

18. novaman

novaman Member

Torocan.... you are the man! (or woman?)

19. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

It's not funny, no need to post twice.

20. redlawn

redlawn Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to torocan again.