1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: "Where was Jeremy Lin?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MKL

MKL Member

Houston Rockets, where temp coaches bench star player happens.

2. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I'm not a LOF. And I strongly believe that Lin should've been played over TD. It's not because I like Lin. It's because the Rockets NEED Lin to run the offense. This team cannot survive on Harden's playmaking, and as tough-nosed as TD is, he has no playmaking ability of his own.

So it's not about "Jeremy Lin getting to play Jesus", whatever the heck that means, it's about a continuing pattern of the coaching staff mismanaging players.

Harden iso-ball doesn't work, yet every game that's been close you see Harden iso while 4 other players watch and eat popcorn.

Jeremy Lin is not a spot-up shooter, yet every game he's been relegated to the 3 point line when his strengths are driving and the PnR.

All stats point towards Jeremy Lin being a better defender than TD, yet TD is inserted into the game - with the coaching staff knowing full well TD can't initiate an offense - based on his "defensive capabilities".

The Rockets needed one rebound to secure a possession for a possible tie/win vs. Miami. Guess who isn't in the game? Oh, just Omer Asik, one of the best rebounders in the NBA.

So this is hardly an issue about Lin-only fans or regular fans. Stop being so antagonistic and look at the facts.

1 person likes this.
  3. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

What stats? The stats from this season of 8 games played?

I'm just basing my info on what I see, and what NBA scouts have seen. Douglas has been known to be an elite defender on every level he's played.

But what do i know, I'm just basing my info on people who are being paid to scout players.

4. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Batum goes BEAST mode.
    he benches Lin - TD comes in lillard goes BEAST mode.
    Lin comes back in, we comeback and go into OT.
    Lin is out for the whole OT.
    Try to increase defensive by using TD. Doesn't work. Cannot respond on offensive. GAME OVER.

5. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

wtf is this?

6. dream1222

dream1222 Member

I agree, Lin gambles too much, not good D

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Lin is not that good yet... he's a streaky sixth man type thrust into the spotlight. He IS the Tim Tebow of PGs.

8. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Sorry this got nothing to do with LOF or LOH - it's just illogical whatever way you look at it.

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

not even asking to be a the highest scorer or hero . Just let him play his position, help his team win.

10. Lihao

Lihao Member

read through the thread, not only 2012ers that question that decision , btw people keep talking about why Lin didn't play not because they want to see him play , it's because Rockets probably lost today because of that decision.

11. kinein

kinein Member

So your going by the eye-test great! :D

12. linbandwagon

linbandwagon Member

So you don't believe in math, fine. Tony Douglas however, is known to be elite an being terrible at basketball, and not much else.

13. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Clutch put up a tweet suggesting Lillard scored 11 points on Lin in the dying minutes of the 4th Q. This has been thoroughly debunked. Maybe you should go rewatch the 4th quarter, it might open your eyes some.

14. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

So did you see the game today, because it certainly doesn't seem like you have. After this game no man would pick Toney Douglas to defend anyone in the 4th quarter.

If you watched the Knicks games last year you should know full well how Douglas' awesome D and non-existing playmaking abilities helped the Knicks. Oh wait, he was the primary reason why the Knicks were one of the biggest failures of the season. The Knicks needed him to step up and he didn't.

From what I see, Douglas' defense is mentioned because he has nothing else going for him. So it would make sense that you see his defense as well.

15. redlawn

redlawn Member

Please don't compare yourself to an NBA scout. It's like comparing a slug to a sabretooth tiger.

16. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

The three games he's been allowed to play as PG he's done a fantastic job of running the offense.

And his defense has been very good in all of his games.

17. munco

munco Member

You're trying to discredit stats by stating what your eyes see? And then you go on to state Douglas is an ELITE defender? That's news to anyone that follows basketball. He's definitely a solid defender but far from elite. Lin's stats on defense are superior to Douglas' and that's not even considering that he's guarding the starting point guard most of the game (assuming it's not OT). Maybe it's time for an eye check?

I will state that Douglas is better at putting full court pressure than Lin, but that's about it.

2 people like this.
  18. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

believe what you want... you have just implied all the posters in this thread

who wanted Lin in the game in OT....

are LOFs

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The coach wanted to force turnovers, not watch Lin commit them. Simple as that guys. Nothing more to talk about.

20. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Toney Douglas wishes he could sit in the same room as Tim Tebow.

No offense to you, but if you're trying to suggest Jeremy Lin being "not that good yet" is better than Toney Douglas' "will never be good at all", then you're making a fool a yourself.

Regardless of your opinion of Lin, if you truly believe that he is worse than Toney Douglas, I'll call it a day, it's obvious you're in a different world.