1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: "Where was Jeremy Lin?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Nov 16, 2012.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Current Defensive Statistics from Synergy Sports, INCLUDING the Portland game...

Points Per Possession Allowed

Jeremy Lin - 0.71 (50th in the NBA of ALL positions)
    Toney Douglas - 0.87 (151st in the NBA of ALL positions)

Opponent FG%

Jeremy Lin - 34.4%
    Toney Douglas - 42.5%

Opponent 3pt%

Jeremy Lin - 33.3%
    Toney Douglas - 37.5%

Overall Opponent %Score

Jeremy Lin - 32.5%
    Toney Douglas - 38.2%

Numbers are a funny thing. They often tell us something different than what we "thought" we saw...

3 people like this.
  2. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Why didn't Parsons get Benched for giving up 35 points to Batum

3. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Almost spit out my ginger ale :p '

Love that this post is half serious/half jokes.

4. kinein

kinein Member

lol - i just hate how we lost. You could see Harden struggling - and you could see the rest of the guys all watching struggling ~ Without Lin on there to AT LEAST add one more pass, one more assist, one more steal, one more block, one more rebound. CMON! Lin could have contributed +1 more ANYTHING and increased our chances to win.

I know the REFS were ****E - I think right now we really need a leader and Lin is the most CALM under control ~ ANTI-HERO Ball cat we got on that team.

He's led teams ALL HIS LIFE. He's battled through and won out in Triple OT. He's ALWAYS fought from the underdog position (nothing to do with race) - just pure basketball. HS, College, Summer League, DLeague etc.

His shot and jumpers not there yet but - he has worked hard to add many other layers to his game ~ eventually his shots going to come back. Its only a matter of time and COACHING - they need to be helping him work on his shot 24/7

RAGEQUIT! Already shot an angry text at Morey. FML

5. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well, the coaching staff may love the way Toney defended Lillard but at the end, the Rockets needed to score and Toney looked like a chicken with his head cut off a few times tonight. The Rockets really needed Lin's playmaking ability to help ease Harden.

6. redlawn

redlawn Member

Cool beans. But let's keep the assumptions to a minimum, how bout it? Jeremy's not my hero, but yes I do cheer for him. As I cheer for Harden. And Parsons. And Morris. And other Rockets players.

OK now. Anything else you want to take a stab at? I don't think you know me AT ALL. So let's lay off the assumptions as I mentioned above. We lost and a large part of why we lost IMHO is because of Sampson's coaching decisions. Rockets fans, not LOF, would be able to acknowledge that. Yes, even legendary players, like Calvin Murphy.

No idea what wrote here. If you can put together some coherent English sentences next time, I'll try to give an adequate response, if I feel like it.

7. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

you cheapen the sarcasm when you tell people it's sarcasm

8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The joke is when you see it and call as it is (and 90% of the people can see it), you have to disclaim yourself with the P.S. because you joined in 2012.

9. kinein

kinein Member

[​IMG]

Love that ****e!

10. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

just ignore him. he's just Tinman 2.0 waving his walking stick at LOF's.

11. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I don't think anyone was going to stop Lillard tonight. Even when Lin made him take tough shots, he was making them. Sometimes elite players just get on fire and you can't do much about it.

But TD had no business being in there at the end. He totally screws up the offense since he doesn't know how to make plays.

But the biggest issue to me was not just that Lin wasn't in there at the end, but how he's being misused. By letting Harden initiate the offense, the defense can key in on him since no one else will keep them honest. But if you let Lin run the PnR and take advantage of his decision-making out of the PnR, you can involve everyone else on the offense and it actually allows Harden to take advantage of his two strengths: driving and 3pointers. Once Lin gets into the lane and kicks it out to Harden, he can take his man off the dribble one-on-one or take the 3 point shot. The Rox look a lot like the Melo-centric Knicks of last year.

1 person likes this.
  12. kinein

kinein Member

Love it Torocan!

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

BUT I'll bet these numbers won't even get a few views, while blatantly incorrect posts like Lillard scores 11 consecutive points on LIn in the last 4:XX of game before OT gets all the attention.

14. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Numbers don't lie.

15. choujie

choujie Member

That's what I was thinking.

16. MT1417

MT1417 Member

It's simply inexcusable to not play Lin in the OT, whatever the reasons are. That is just poor coaching.

1) Despite not shooting well, he had one of his best games tonight and was excellent at facilitating the offense. Benching him because Lillard was hot during the last few minutes of regulation is ridiculous. Lin did shut Lillard down for the 1st 3 quarters, but I'm sure that doesn't count.

2) The multiple substitutions for Lin and Douglas in the final 6 minutes was reflective of the coaching. Lin was in for one minute, then Douglas was in for another minute and then Lin for in again for Douglas another minute. How confused was Sampson? I thought that was kind of disruptive and it doesn't help both players' momentum.

3) Lin did great during his time with the Knicks in crunch time, but I don't care about the Knicks, I only care about what he does with the Rockets. How is he going to ever be clutch if he's not going to be playing during those moments?

4) Lin's your starting point guard. Is he in Houston's future plans? If yes, then he should be kept in games, for his development as the team's young, developing point guard. Unless our secret plan is to develop Douglas instead.

We had 3 significantly high-profile signings before the regular season - Harden, Lin and Asik. Unless they fouled out, all these 3 should be in the game during crunch time, especially this early in the regular season where we are still figuring things out and developing their strengths. When the coach had all starters except for Patterson and Lin to start the OT, I thought that was telling. I can't help but wonder if this will be the case if Mchale was coaching instead.

Hopefully, Sampson learns from this mistake.

17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Yeah bud. You've shown me the error of my ways. I made assumptions. I don't know you.

I do know know you're grasping at elegance in English. I got Portuguese too, sport. If that's easier. I'm off to bed. But first I will say may prayers to Rudy T and defecate on a model of Kermit Washington. Damn that thing stinks.

18. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

He didn't that's actually false. Go watch it again.

19. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

I would be interested to know how many of those 49 players ahead of lin are starters? Guarding other starters (with better offensive skills) is quite different than guarding back-ups.

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it's pretty pathetic when members on this forum asking where lin was in OT, and they just get assumptions that they're only lin fans. People are so negative towards each other, and calling each other names. It's pretty sad. We're Rockets fan and we just want what's best for our team to win and get better to eventually get a championship once again.

1 person likes this.