1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

That was a very revealing look into Sampson and mchale's attitude about how Lin will continue to be used on this team. More spot up shooting, more hiding in the corner, more uninvolved. Lin has two choices, learn to play off the ball and start shooting like ray Allen or demand a trade to LA.

2. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

This is the kind of ignorant trolling that gets people's backs up. It's like you simply ignored everything else that has been pointed out REPEATEDLY about his usage and role on the team.

He's not back down to earth, he's just not being allowed to play. Everytime he has been allowed to play, he's done very well.

3. kinein

kinein Member

1. You do not know the history the Warriors have for losing talent. They are the NBA's BEST at losing top talent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-spears_jeremy_lin_warriors_knicks_nba_021312

Just saying... you didn't know anything about the roster situations at both the warriors and rockets. I'm not about to research every interview - with the owners of both teams, every article, and every podcast to educate you but both teams regretted their cuts.

4. mil

mil Member

So if Lin miss the shot but the ball hit the rim,does it make the loss a bit less bitter for you ?A little less sugar for your coffee? Air ball or not ,a miss is a miss regardless by how much. Lebron,Michael Jordan,Kobe and lots of great players had fired air ball in their carrier.If firing an air ball from 3 point line,needs to be crusified,what are you going to do if a player miss an open lay up or dunk or miss a free throw,where he is wide open and not a single soul by his side and he can take his time to shoot? Take it easy ,my friend and enjoy the ride. The season just started.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That is stupid. Why would they drain harden like that?

6. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Because not only are the players inexperienced, so are the coaches.

7. directshoot

directshoot Member

This team is just like Tmac's Magic. Harden is the No. 3 scorer in the league now, but they are the 3rd worst team of the west.

8. GTRockets

GTRockets Member

I joined clutchfans thinking i could learn more about the Rockets. So far all I have learned is that there are so many Rockets fans here that don't know anything.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Weeeee!! Im in a time machine!!

Oh how I miss the days when Yao was here adn it ws very common to see the new Yao fans beg for a trade to LA so "they will use him right"

Deja vu

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Lol...do you think Lin is on Tracy and Dwight's level in that he can just demand a trade and make it happen. Even those guys didn't do it after signing a fresh 3 year contract. You LOFs amuse me. He is a Rocket and he will be a Rocket for awhile.

Rocket fans and LOFs better get used to it...like it or not.

11. mirus

mirus Member

oh god....i'm sure we all have different opinions from time to time but couldn't you guys discuss in a reasonable manner or agree to disagree instead of calling names?this is a disgrace.Some of the guys are probably over-worrying it so the best thing you can do is tell him the reality is not so.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

At least make an effort to pretend to root for the rox.

13. munco

munco Member

If he was playing badly running the point I would wonder if he's any good. However they have him playing the roll of a spot up shooter that's camped out in the corner. Doesn't make any sense. They might as well have him down in the low post.

14. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Yes, Lin is a horrible role player. He is a horrible spot-up shooter. This is nothing new. That's why he was cut from GS and from Houston initially because they wanted him to be a role player.

Morey brought him back based on stats he had in the D'antoni system where the PG made all the decisions. So I'm confused why Morey went after him if that's not the style he's going to play here in Houston. There are much better spot-up shooters than Lin.

15. samylee1978

samylee1978 Member

aghhhh best thread all season... been saying this since the summer. drive in o a crowd turn it over. cant shoot. but he does play good d and is better then douglas, who is the worst point guard ive seen in years

16. BayAreaBaller

BayAreaBaller Member

Well, to be honest, the triangle would have been perfect for Yao. He really should have been a 25 and 10 guy instead of the 20and 10 he averaged with the Rox.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah this is my logic. When he does have the ball & creates I see flashes of what I saw last year but that rarely happens now. So it is kind of frustrating cause I feel like he could help this team a lot more than he is now if they would just let him.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Told you so.....

19. kinein

kinein Member

Keep in mind there are a few troll-accounts.

Some home-grown and some from New York.

LinMVP = Sigmund, there are more.

20. kinein

kinein Member

[​IMG]

If Joe Lacob were ever going to have peace of mind, forgetting the inevitable frustrations that come with life as an owner of the Golden State Warriors, this would be the place.

But as the wildly successful venture capitalist walked the sunny links at Pebble Beach on Thursday, he -- like so many others these days -- couldn't stop thinking about Jeremy Lin.

The 23-year-old family friend who grew up playing with Lacob's son, Kirk, in the Bay Area, who led Palo Alto High to a California state title yet still received no scholarship offers, whom Lacob signed as an undrafted free agent out of Harvard and who had become the poster boy for why owners shouldn't make basketball decisions, had turned into a global sensation -- in a Knicks uniform.

"Linsanity," as his growing legion of fans from all over the world are calling it, had been sparked by Lin's unexpectedly exciting play. The driving and dishing of an NBA castoff has led to three straight wins for a Knicks team badly in need of a positive vibe and good point guard play. And Lin, the NBA's first American-born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent, who was cut by the Warriors and Houston before the Knicks won him off waivers on Dec. 27, has been supplying it in ways that have Lacob rejoicing and regretting all at once.

"I'm incredibly happy for him," Lacob, who was routinely accused of signing Lin as a publicity stunt to appeal to the Asian-American population in his market, said by phone after playing in the first round of the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. "But we were walking up and down the fairways here today, and I'm saying, 'Son of a b----. We were right.'

"Do I feel vindicated? Yes," Lacob admitted. "Do I feel bad, however, that somehow we didn't manage to keep him? I do. And I'm not blaming anybody in my organization because it was circumstantial."
    And not just for the Warriors, either.

The Warriors made the calculated decision cut Lin because of their risky pursuit of Clippers restricted free agent center DeAndre Jordan, a player they felt could fill their void down low. From Lacob on down, the feeling among the Warriors' brass was that notoriously cheap Clippers owner Donald Sterling might let Jordan go if Golden State could offer an annual salary of more than $10 million.

But to create salary-cap room for what would turn out to be a four-year, $43 million offer, they had to cut Lin, use their amnesty clause on veteran guard Charlie Bell and delay the signings of rookies Klay Thompson and Jeremy Tyler. Losing Lin was worth about $300,000 in terms of Jordan's proposed annual rate, a relatively small amount but still an important piece of their plan.

"We knew to get him as a restricted free agent we'd have to load up that contract as much as we possibly could, so short of amnestying Andris Biedrins [the Warriors' underperforming center who is owed a combined $27 million over the next three seasons] -- which I know people criticize us for, but we still stand by that decision -- we wanted to do everything we could and we did," Lacob said. "We went to DeAndre with what most people would say was a contract that overpaid him, recognizing that you had to do that. We had good reason to believe, knowing that [Warriors assistant general manager] Bob Myers was [Jordan's] agent before, that there was a chance that they wouldn't match because, of course, that's Donald Sterling's history."

The Clippers, however, did match the offer on Dec. 13, two days after Lin had been picked up off waivers by Houston, and the next subplot to his surreal tale had begun. The Rockets made their own decision to waive Lin late on the night of Dec. 24 to clear room on the roster for free agent center Samuel Dalembert. General manager Daryl Morey admitted he regretted the move.
    "We should have kept [Lin]," Morey wrote on his Twitter account on Thursday. "Did not know he was this good. Anyone who says they knew misleading U."

According to a source close to the situation, Houston's decision was debated heavily and made with great hesitation. While Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic had the point guard duties covered, and Lin was the natural selection to be dropped because he had the team's only non-guaranteed contract, big man Jeff Adrien had a partially guaranteed contract and could have been the roster casualty instead. He was waived on Tuesday to make room for free agent center Greg Smith.

Both the Rockets and Warriors were hopeful that they could sign Lin again if he cleared waivers. Their hope for a reunion was renewed when there were recent rumblings that the Knicks planned to part ways with Lin. But Lin would turn Madison Square Garden into his personal playground soon thereafter, as another set of events led Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni to turn his way.
    First, veteran point guard Chauncey Billups was amnestied out of necessity to sign free agent center Tyson Chandler after the lockout, thereby creating the point guard void that had a lot to do with New York's 8-15 start. Then rookie guard Iman Shumpert was injured in the Dec. 25 opener and Lin was added two days later to supply depth at the point behind Toney Douglas and Mike Bibby. Finally, veteran addition Baron Davis -- whose debut as a Knicks savior of sorts was eagerly anticipated -- was expected to return from a back injury in late January or early this month but suffered a setback, and the desperate need for improved point guard play remained.

As Morey tweeted, no one -- not even the Knicks -- can pretend they saw this coming. Nor can anyone claim to know Lin's long-term outlook, whether he'll keep this pace en route to numerous All-Star selections or become a quality backup for years to come.

Yet while the Lin file remains relatively thin and the sample size small, numerous NBA talent evaluators said his size (6-foot-3, 200 pounds) athleticism, work ethic, ability to get to the rim and defensive smarts are the type of skills that should serve him well in a long career. Kings coach Keith Smart, the former Golden State coach who played Acie Law as his backup point guard over Lin last season while with the Warriors, said he was confident all along that Lin would eventually become a productive player.
    "Oh, yeah, because he had a skill already," Smart said Thursday. "He had an aggressive skill on both offense and defense -- offensively getting into the paint and getting to the basket; defensively he would get himself into place for a steal or a rebound, and he didn't back down from guys.

"The things he didn't understand was going to the rim in traffic. How far did he go when the long guys are waiting for you there? On the pick-and-roll, when do you make that pass? The skill game wasn't there yet, but the little things that you knew would transfer pretty quickly -- an incredible work ethic, the way he approached the game from the film studies and from listening to coaches -- and you put those to what he already had, and it was just a matter of time with him figuring out the game."

Still, Smart played him only sparingly. Lin's appearances, greeted with roars from the Oracle Arena crowd, often came when the game's outcome was already decided. The publicity, which included a press conference of his own when it was announced that Lin would be playing for the team he grew up rooting for, would far outweigh the performances.

Lin's best work, though, took place when no one was watching. Whether it was with the Warriors or during three assignments with the team's former Development League team in Reno, Nev., he impressed with his tireless approach.
    "They talk about a Kobe [Bryant], who will come in and work on one move for an hour," Smart said. "This young man would do the same thing. This young man would work on the pick-and-roll and getting to the paint for a floater, and just work on that one move. Or he's going to work on the catch in the corner, hard drive to the middle, and then look to the pass with a pass fake, but don't pass it -- shoot it. He would do those things. He's regimented in his preparation."

Said Warriors general manager Larry Riley: "He's one of those kids who believes that if I do the right things, and I work on my game and I study the game and then apply what I've learned and improve my shooting, then I believe I can play."

Lin was lauded for his work in the D-League last season, then turned heads in his one stint with the Knicks team in Erie, Pa., this year when he had a triple-double on Jan. 20.

"[Going to the D-League] wasn't something he wanted to do, but he said, 'If that's what you want me to do, that's what I'll do,' and he did," Riley said. "Every time we sent him down, he became a better player."

Despite an offseason spent shooting hundreds of three-pointers on most days in the Bay Area, his shot is still suspect. Thus far, his play seems to be a case of his strengths getting even better more than it is a case of shoring up weaknesses en route to proving he belongs in the NBA.

One league executive who is high on Lin's game compared him to 76ers guard Lou Williams, saying, "If you like a guy who's a good athlete and can get to the rim, and does, over and over -- either by rejecting the screen or by turning the corner on pick-and-rolls -- then it won't take you long to warm to him." He isn't the perfect fit for D'Antoni's system that some have made him out to be, though. The style perfected by Steve Nash during their time together in Phoenix was geared more toward penetrating and finding shooters all over the perimeter rather than finishing on his own like Lin prefers to do.
    But he's clearly more of a player than most ever imagined he would be -- even those who saw something special in him from the start.

"I was criticized, and we were criticized, a lot last year for not having a quote-unquote, backup point guard, on the roster," said Lacob, who hired current coach Mark Jackson rather than re-sign Smart in the offseason. "Jeremy Lin was the backup point guard, and then we brought in Acie Law and [Smart] didn't play Jeremy but played Acie Law, which I thought was not great. That was something he and I disagreed on.

"Jeremy was a kid that we really liked. I'm not going to sit here and say I thought he'd have 28 [points] and eight [assists] every night, but I certainly thought he could play."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/02/10/lin-warriors/index.html#ixzz2CAHvHmNB

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...5/how-did-everyone-miss-jeremy-lin/53124082/1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ts-shouldnt-be-blamed-for-cutting-rising-star

Comedy... from the Warriors perspective.. the untold behind the scenes tale
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Ez9ySCFmhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-spears_jeremy_lin_warriors_knicks_nba_021312

- Mark Jackson

1 of 6 point guards when cut after 10 days on Christmas Eve.
    - Kevin Martin

On Jeremy Lin - Owner of Warriors
    http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/20...-cruz-warriors-d-league-kirk-lacob-jeremy-lin

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7bYrbOHOj60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lin isn't 100% yet maybe its coaching maybe its confidence maybe its harden maybe its his knee. Whatever the reason he doesn't look like this yet.