1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Posey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've been wanting him on the rockets for like the last 2 years. Now that he's here...I couldn't be happier.

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Posey fan here. Me likey a lot.

3. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

If the Rockets do nothing else this season, but manage to sign Posey to a 5 year contract for $25 million or less, then they have succeeded. That's how excited I am to have him on this team.

I'm sure most Houstonians didn't get a chance to watch much Denver Nugget basketball, but having subscribed to NBA League Pass over the past 3 years, I was afforded that 'luxury'. :D Having watched Posey play as a member of the Nuggets, I regarded him as a guy that you'd always hate to play against, because of his tenacity and the intangibles he brings.

Plus he has been involved in some of the cooler plays I've seen in a while. First, that one handed alley-oop thrown by Francis a few games ago. Then, that sweeeet jam he got off a great pass by Yao against Minnesota. He also tried to dunk on Raja Bell when we played the Mavs, but got fouled.

I love his ability to cut to the basket and finish, which are traits that I've never seen in any Rocket small forward, for as long as I've watched them. Posey is also an 80+% free throw shooter, which is icing on the cake. Guys in the NBA who score easy baskets, hit free throws consistently, play good defense, rebound, and play unselfishly, WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Right now we have two players on our team that do those things, James Posey, and Yao Ming. The game against Minnesota helped illustrate just how tough this team is to beat when they are clicking on offense, simply because they are able to score easy baskets, hit their free throws, then get back and play tough D on the other end. Having big men who can hit free throws is simply going to be invaluable when this team eventually makes a playoff run.

All I have to say is, when this team figures out how to win (they will), it's going to be damn fun to watch.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

;)

Yeah, I figured. I was just messing with ya. JP all the way...star player from one team to ours that fits in perfectly.

RESIGN JP. :D

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I was at the game last night, and I now love James Posey.

He "D's" it up, rebounds, and is pretty damn good offensive player. He is a much better shooter/cutter than I imagined. If the season has been a dissapointment for anyone, James Posey should be enough to balance it out. Kenny Thomas is a good player, but we won out big time with Posey.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Told ya that Posey was that good!

After watching the last 3,4 games for the Rockets, does anyone even remember who Kenny Thomas is? If you can't see what Posey does for this team defensivley and leading the fast breaks then you are simply blind! All KT used to do was stop the ball movement and try to force as many shots as he can while he can, in short he was looking out for himself. Posey plays within the team's system and is truley one of the better 1-in-1 defenders I have seen for a very long time, perhaps since Pippen in Chicago. The guy has upped our defense that much more and may be the Dallas game's outcome would have been different if Rudy had put him on Finley for longer than 2 minutes. Look for this guy to be an integral part of this team for years to come.

7. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

He needs to shoot more often.

8. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

Hopefully Rudy don't put him back on the bench when Rice came back. Rice would be a good 6th man who bring an instant offense to the second unit. I can see him playing 40+ minutes every night and slight over to the two guard when Mobley is out of the line up as Rice come in off the bench. Hopefully he will resign with the Rockets for 5-6 years/30 millions.

9. themugg

themugg Member

The guy does remind me alot of Elie back in the day. I think the Rockets came out ahead on that deal.

10. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

One more thing that I love about this guy:

HUSTLE!! Dude is everywhere. Batting away balls coming out of literally nowhere, tipping and intercepting passes, all over his man like Gary Payton in his prime, always looking to run on the break..... I could go on......

The flow of the game is SO MUCH QUICKER when he is in there, as opposed to when Rice was starting. I like Rice dont get me wrong, but his days with the Rox are numbered, and we need to develop now for the future. I see him coming off the bench to provide some instant offense maybe 15-20 minutes tops, but he is an injury risk and doesnt fit our long-term plans.....

Keep it up Pose!!!

11. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

I have to agree, Posey is an all around player.
    We saved him from Denver and he has saved our butts many times, subtract Poseys hustle and were 4 games under 500 ball.

Best trade since Francis.