1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin needs to get to the FT line, FFS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zdrav, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

That's what Im saying, they're killing his swag! :(
    Im not sure the coaches will give him the green light, they look set on making Harden the focal point of everything which I think will only hurt the team. You would think they would take advantage of having two great penetrating guards.

I can't even say Im hopeful they'll eventually "get it" because we can see from Mike Brown, coaches can be stubborn with their systems and lazy because they refuse to adjust their gameplans to take advantage of their player's strengths.

2. slickster

slickster Member

Les directed Morey to sign Lin both as a player and as a draw. Lin is not going to be a draw for this team averaging 9 pts a game.

Les can't be happy with what he's seeing right now, and if it continues, for both basketball and financial reasons, he will be open to input about a coaching change.

It's a very strange situation where the coaches are almost tightening their own noose.

3. zdrav

zdrav Member

Well, we all saw how long Mike Brown lasted in the midst of disappointment.

4. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Seems like he's trying to force the players to fit the system and not the other way around.

I really hate this system.

Asik is years away from being able to be this person.

5. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

One of reason nobody seems to bring up is that Tyson Chandler last year sets one the best picks in the league due to following factors:

1. Extremely aggressive n wide stance
    2. Great timing, the dude just knows when to set pick, he learnt that from Chris Paul days
    3. He has the hands and athleticism to roll in and FINISH alley oops.
    4. He knows when to set a fake pick n roll in (verses a real complete pick)

Anyhow, good picks and a threat to the basket gives PnR guards oppurtunity to drive in and create contact instead of getting trapped. Omer Asik is light years away from Tyson Chandler in this area.
    This is one of the major reason Lin is ineffective

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

I have brought this up like 30 times now. A lot of people have brought this up as well. Only a select few are saying otherwise. Frankly if we had said player & Lin struggled I would be saying the opposite but that player isn't on the roster right now so we will continue to see less than stellar back court play.

7. liu1107

Since Omer Asik is young and cheap salary wise, you cannot really expect him to be on Tyson's level offensively. I am afraid Omer will never become a good PnR guy though since he's too heavy n doesnt have the athleticism. Asking him to do PnR all day are relatively inefficient and will only make him tired.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

I love Omer just the way he is frankly. It sucks because they are trying to make Omer something he really isn't lol but honestly he is giving his best effort so I can't even hate. But a young Amare Stoudemire would be PERFECT for this team. Amare can't play defense for his life so Omer would cover for that Amare would just focus on being the roll man & hitting the j on the pick & pop. Keep the defense honest. Unfortunately Amare is old, has terrible knees/backs/eyes & an even worse contract. -_-

9. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

So what is the Rockets' plan? Iso Harden heroball while waiting years for Asik to become like Tyson Chandler?

10. liu1107

I agree. Getting a PnR PF will probably make this situation a lil better; Our front court severely lacks athleticism. But ideally you want your center to do the PnR since it opens up the lane for driving; and most cases opponent center has slow foot speed, easy for guard to shake them off.

11. zdrav

zdrav Member

Hopefully, they're going through all their options.

I guess the first two games was their "Let Lin and Harden loose and let'em play 40+ min a game" strategy. Perhaps for future playoffs?

Now, it's the "Let's see what Harden's ceiling is, and let's see if we can make opponents respect Lin's 3pt shooting" phase.

Hopefully, it is just that: a phase.

12. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

That's not a plan.

Getting a PnR PF will just clog the paint like in NY with Amare and Tyson.

Really, they should trade Asik, which seems unthinkable though.

Either you wait years for Asik to develop or you ask Harden and Lin to change their games and not play to their strengths.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Even just adding 3 point shooters would make this situation a lot better. Kind of like Jrue Holiday on the sixers. They have Bynum down low & Jrue surrounded by shooters. So he has space to attack the rim. The thing though is that Jrue is a great three point shooter himself.

Anyway I am not to worried about Lin's shooting it will get better as the offense figures it self out. Deron is currently shooting 28% from 3, James Harden 27% from 3, Steph's FG% is 37%, Joe Johson is shooting 36% as well. A lot of players who are normally better shooters are shooting poorly while guys who are terrible shooters (Ronnie Brewer) are shooting over 50%. Things will eventually figure themselves out.

14. liu1107

Wow, Lin's 3 point % is like 5 point higher than Harden; it sure doesnt seem that way from watching the game. I thought Harden was around 35%ish.

15. nono

nono Member

Harden has thrown many step back bricks at the three point line.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

Harden is being asked to do WAY to much & it really frustrates me. Part of the reason I am worried is because if the coaching staff keeps this up he could get hurt & that is the last thing we need right now. Playing way to many minutes his USG is way to high & he is doing a lot more than he is supposed to be doing. Also Harden is forcing a lot of things as well & making some questionable decisions, that is on him to be honest.

17. mirus

mirus Member

Anyone has the quantity of threes made by both?could keep things in perspective.

18. Playaz

Playaz Member

Do we watch the same games? Harden miss a lot of 3s. I think it doesn't seem that way for you because you just check his total points.

19. Luca

Luca Member

Agreed, man I wish we had young snare. Amare would be perfect as he's such a great and such a great p&r finisher.

1 person likes this.
  20. Luca

Luca Member

Sorry my bad for some typing mistakes on my mobile. I meant amare is a great p&r finisher.