1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CF: A little Bi-Polar?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Rox>Mavs, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't post much, but I like to read CF a lot. Usually it's good stuff by good posters, but man it's been hard lately. I've found myself annoyed at all the "X"OF/"X"OH debates and the extreme perspective of the Rockets situation with Harden and all. It's hard to remember this is the nature and reality of fanhood.

Sometimes posters just go on manic highs...."Harden might average 28ppg this season", "Harden is on LBJ/KD's level". I'm all excited about Harden's arrival too but I think if CF starts drinking this koolaid, you inevitably get the depressive lows after setting expectations too high from the manic episodes.

"Harden is terrible" "Overpaid for 80 Million" "It's Lin's fault", etc.....full of knee jerk. It's understandable I guess. Being a fan means getting all hyped about potential that is way beyond what a team is capable of in the foreseeable future. It also means being thoroughly angry and disappointed because that hype can't be met.

Emotions are a part of being a fan. But I'm thankful that our GM and FO try to detach themselves from such extremes (or at least try to). We are somewhere in the middle, where we need to be. We're better off than where we were 2 months ago. We have a future, direction, building blocks, resources, and leadership. It will take time and I don't think it's realistic to see transformation of this team/culture/identity happen in 5 games or even this season.

And just so everyone understands, I'm writing about myself too. I know this is the reality in my head. I know I shouldn't expect too much or too little. But my heart as a rockets fan follows the game and gets hyped and then angry when they can't deliver something that they never could. Emotionality is part of it for me. I think we just all need to take our meds, get some therapy or something to even out our highs and lows a bit.

I just want to say I appreciate some of the older and seasoned posters here because they bring the voice of stability and reason with facts, research, insightful analysis on the game, CBA, etc. Keep posting because otherwise CF feels more Bi-Polar with all the new posters going manic or suicidal/homicidal.

/reality check

1 person likes this.
  2. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Very well sad. But wondering why its just the NEW posters? Since I also saw a lot of posts by the old timers here posting bi-polar comments as well. Sorry if someone is offended.

3. MKL

MKL Member

This place, same as other sports forums, the fans(fanatics) act bi-polar. The Join date doesn't matter much. Everyone is spamming bad threads, when they should lay off starting new threads. Such as this one.

4. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

sad=said.

5. Playaz

Playaz Member

You know what's the problem? People can't understand that young players need time to develop. These idiots want to tank and get a top 5 pick player like Harden but won't leave them time to develop.

They want a contending team NOW. Which is ridiculous considering that the team is inexperienced. If they don't have that contending team, they want the team to tank instead of letting the young players develop.

I'll tell you now: if we get a top 5 pick this year and we still can't contend the next season, they'll call him a bust pick and ask for another tanking season. Kinda sad people can't understand that.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bipolar, schizophrenic, anxiety disorder, you name it. We have it all here.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

No! Wait...yes? Nevermind, no. Yes! Okay yes!

8. Rox>Mavs

sorry...."all" isn't a fair descriptor. Some "old" posters are just as guilty (as I am....I just don't post my manic/depressive thoughts). The statement is more about a few posters that have the "rep" to post reasonably. Even I (though I've been here for a few years) would be a "new" poster since no one really knows me and I don't post much so as a result no one knows if I'm going to say anything thought out or just knee jerk.

New posters I guess tend to be screened and potentially seen as trolls until they prove their rep a little more I guess.

But you are correct, "All" isn't a fair assumption....and "Old" doesn't != bipolar

9. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Thanks for the clearance. This is the internet and people has freedom for speech. I would just ignore, new or old, posters of their knee jerk comments. I would just concentrate whether the team play hard. I would be sad if the team loss and jump with joy when the team won, just the first 2 games. Otherwise, my BP would be shoot up to the roof which I really don't want. Enjoy basketball.

Go Rockets, Go Lin (obviously, im a LOF)

10. rednation98

rednation98 Member

also the time when we first heard we got harden, but some people were mad. Now they seem as if they were all in on the trade too.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

First, threads about the posters or the forum belong in the Feedback forum.

Secondly, CF is thousands of fans with different opinions -- the poster who started "Harden is Jordan!" is probably not the same guy who posted "Harden SUCKS!".... and the "Harden SUCKS!" type threads are usually voted 1-star on numerous thread ratings.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did someone really start a "Harden SUCKS" threads. I'm afraid to look.

Can someone please take a print screen of the GARM or give us the All Clear. I have visions of R2K and DoD with swords drawn, standing back to back, slaying the dead, or anyone who gets in their way.

I'm scared. Can someone hold me?

13. Rox>Mavs

I don't think I ever implied the extremes were the same poster or guy. Just that the extremes tend cause an equal and opposite reaction. The more extreme or high a guy posts, the more negative others posts. Not necessarily the same person posting....

14. jocar

jocar Member

Clutch is doing a good job cleaning up garbage threads around here

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Clutch maybe you should implement a system where if a thread gets enough 1-star votes then it gets auto-deleted.
    Let the community moderate itself, or at the very least give us the option to remove idiots from the GARM.

16. Rox>Mavs

I agree clutch, you do have a lot of work to do managing these threads. It probably gets overwhelming and unmanageable when major events like the harden trade happens. People are going to have strong opinions and a few games in even stronger opinions and knee jerk reactions.

I don't care much for it, but lets be realistic....when you get threads like, "Wow, we stole harden" and "Harden for mip or MVP" that I'm sure people love to read because its optimistic but premature. You're going to get "Harden is terrible" which is annoying to read because its equally antagonistic, pessimistic, and premature.

My point is just to say 1) I understand this is human nature 2) it will require lots of work and management to put some bumpers on these types of reactions and 3) a "feedback" for people to try to put some thought into their posts and not just vomit the first emotion that they feel after a game that drives a statement like "harden is lebron" or "harden sucks". CF gets a little crazy when major moves happen is all. Just my observation and opinion....

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can we please get a temporary sticky up to remind posters not to start redundant threads?

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I appreciate it, but Rockets2K is doing a better job of it than I am.

Exactly... definitely one of the things I'm considering. The more automation, the better -- but I don't feel comfortable with a formula quite yet. It seems more people are willing to 1-star a thread than they are to 5-star it, even if they find it useful. And as an example -- an intelligent thread right now that might not be very positive about Jeremy Lin could get enough 1-star votes.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Would it make sense to restrict thread-starting privileges to posters who have a set amount of reputation points? And if a poster abuses that privilege, penalize him/her by taking away those reputation points.

Another thought is to restrict thread rating to posters with a certain amount of reputation. That way, if a particular thread gets a bunch of 1-star votes, there's a good likelihood that its not worth keeping around.

Finally, you may consider creating another forum which is less moderated where all posters are free to rant and make knee-jerk threads. Threads from the GARM that accrue a number of 1-star votes may be automatically moved to this other forum.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hate the thought of it coming to this, but saw this idea mentioned somewhere. Limit starting a thread to one per 24 hours per member, except for members designated by the mods. Someone like Bima (or one of the mods, obviously) wouldn't have a limit. That would help both in the GARM and in other forums, in my opinion. Full disclosure... I rarely start threads, so it's unlikely to affect me.