1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone know what happened to Royce White?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by greenteaman, Nov 3, 2012.

1. marothisu

marothisu Member

^ That being said, I think him missing camp was utterly BS. He should have been there. Everything else though? People like to jump to conclusions so much.

Name me one or two other professional jobs in the world where a rookie (i.e. college hire) is really expected to contribute just as much as a person who's been there for 10 years. Honestly...try and name one. Professional sports is the only one I can think of.

The guy is a rookie. Cut him and the others some ****ing slack. Next time you don't, go to your job and start picking on the guy who just graduated college because he's not as good as you. That's essentially what you're advocating.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

R O F L M A O!!!!!!!

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He misses camp in a bs move, but we aren't supposed to jump to conclusions?

That's a big red flag to me. Plus the fact that he was put of shape.

4. marothisu

marothisu Member

The jumping to conclusions is not about the camp thing. Him missing that actually REALLY surprised me. I still don't understand what he was doing.

I'm talking about everything else. People think because he has an anxiety disorder that it lets him affect himself on the court and if they knew anything about him for real, they'd know that's the furthest thing from the truth. If the guy doesn't pan out, it'll have nothing to do with his anxiety disorder. It'll have to be with him not being ready for the play, not learning plays, etc etc etc. Just like anybody else. His anxiety disorder has nothing to do with his basketball stuff. It's other things. As he's said in interviews, he feels safe on the court. He did nothing but good things at ISU, and contrary to popular belief, it's not some small arena. It fits 14,500 people. The Toyota Center fits 18,000. ISU was sold out most games. It's not like he was playing against crowds of 500 people.

He's not deahtly afraid of flying either. He'll do it if he has to. You'd think if he was deathly afraid of flying that he wouldn't have flown to...well...uhh..Italy..and back? Exactly. The reason he's trying to driving thing is because he knows, as well as his college coach told him, who played in the NBA for 10 seasons and was in the front office for 4-5, that the rookie season is stressful. He's trying to ease his stress in one facet by doing the bus thing (which does not involve him riding a bus every single game). That's up to him. It might be a little weird, but it's not completely crazy. If the travel thing didn't pan out, he would just deal with it in other ways. Guaranteed.

He's not as nuts as everyone makes him out to be. He just needs to focus on his basketball. He's a rookie though and with time will improve. I don't expect him to get much playing time for the first month or two at all.

5. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

It's one thing that he is not as good. That's absolutely understandable and excusable.

It's another thing that he refused to show up for work when he could, especially for a very important event. This is absolutely inexcusable.

Eight pages and 140 posts into the discussion, I can't believe someone still cannot tell the difference.

6. marothisu

marothisu Member

I agree that him missing the first week or camp was inexcusable. You aren't going to hear me defending that. I was pissed off when I heard about it for the first time.

However, almost everything else is ridiculous. He's ramping up, has new teammates, learning new plays, has a new coach, etc. Cut him some slack. If he sucks in 2-3+ years, then yes you'd have a point. It's amazing what some "fans" will say these days. The guy's played in a small handful of preseason games for a little bit and you guys already want to crucify him. It's absurd. I can't believe how hard some fan bases are on their teams' athletes.

Patience is a virtue.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Oh wow. Enters this thread. Reads some of the insensitive posts discrediting/belittling/mocking Royce's legitimate mental health disorder. Deeply saddened but not surprised by some of the comments. Exits thread.

1 person likes this.
  8. marothisu

marothisu Member

That's the funny thing. While people do this....most people have **** that stinks too of themselves. Once people start talking about it, they get all pissed, but it's fine to do to someone else. I'm sure if they were in the same room as White, they wouldn't be saying ****. I could imagine an overweight message board person next to a 6'8" 265 pound guy who is extremely strong and tough. They wouldn't think twice about saying it. That's the beautiful, yet sad thing about the internet.

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

With all due respect, what you said there is kinda stupid. Imagine some folks criticize a serial killer on a internet discussion board. Are you also going to say they would think twice about saying it if the serial killer is sitting next to them? Think before you write please.

10. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

I LOL'ed, and I'm a WOF...

11. slickster

slickster Member

There's nothing that can be done. Send him to D League and forget about him.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

it actually isn't kind of stupid Marothisu is right. The internet is a bullet proof vest. I see that all the time with fans who tweet foolishness to players that they would never dare say to the players face. Internet posting forums/twitter and the like have both fostered and destroyed communication.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

You are right. And no woman should criticize a rapist because they wouldn't dare to say it in the rapist face in the same room. What an intelligent insight.

14. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

The Morey apologism is out of control- White was a wasted pick.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is silly. Your taking one situation and applying uniformity to every situation and things don't work like that in real life.

Let's keep it real right now. Let's not pretend that there isn't a stigma against mental health issues. There is absolutely no stigma whatsoever around rape. None. When Todd Akin, Murdoch and a few of the republican congressman said those statements about "legitimate rape" they were immediately put on blast. But if that same statement was made about mental health issues would there be a similar vociferous response? Hell no. When it comes to mental disorders people freely toss around the word crazy, lazy, diva etc.

Look at this board specifically, Sigmund was banned because he said a statement to the effect that women asked to be physically assaulted. Inappropriate and the right amount of punishment was given for Sigmunds stupidity. And yet on this very same board I have seen some really insensitive statements launched against Royce that belittle/mock/discredit a legitimate illness. Why is one idiotic/inappropriate statement greater than the other?

Speaking as a woman myself there is a ridiculous double standard in a lot of things. Some social issues are giving a lot more significance over others. As society now stands women's rights >>> mental health awareness. Not to say that one social issue is more important than other. But it is a fact that mental health issues are more often than not put on the back burner for other social causes.

So to sit here and to try and toss around that silly little example that you did to discredit the main crux of this entire situation surrounding Royce is nonsense. Very few people are informed about mental health issues and as a result of this ignorance people speak insensitively and say things that really should not be said.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know the discussion has moved off a bit, but let me ask you all a question. First, i would like to say that i am all for Royce working through this situation, but where was all the concern for a bus and all during his one season of college play? The entire draft process? He pushed through those. These are the type of questions people are asking.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Read a blurb in Hoops magazine where Royce White said he viewed the NBA as just a job, not his life. A job huh. Imagine if he worked at a business that required him to travel all over the U.S. to attend meetings. Could he get away with telling the CEO he couldn't make it to a lot of these important meetings? That he couldn't prep for these meetings because he may come into town later than everyone else?

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It just doesn't look good for White now. I will be surprised if he gets any minutes soon. I really, really hope i am wrong.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

Forgot to add. go ahead and criticize all you want. I have absolutely no issue with critiscm whatsoever. But there is a massive difference between criticism and just plain ignorance/mocking. There is a whole lot of the latter than there is the former that is why I have avoided this thread from the most part because I knew what to expect.

And yes, everybody would say the same to a rapists face over the internet as they would in the same room. And rightfully so because rape is uniformally accepted by society as being wrong. But people would call someone suffering from mental health crazy when they in fact are not crazy but are sick. That is a hurtful thing to say but unfortunately by societies standards comments like that are not internationally accepted as wrong. And that is disappointing.

Your comparison falls short in so many ways. Like I said one of these things is not like the other although it should be but it isn't.

Peace.

1 person likes this.
  20. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Wow some people need to lighten up...this went from an entertaining thread to a discussion about ethics on the Internet :rolleyes: As if such a thing exists.

1 person likes this.