1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who still "REALLY" believes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets-R-Us, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

I actually asked for and received as a Christmas present, two seats for each of the remaining games beginning with tonight's (1-29-03) game agains the Mavs. These are choice seats at one corner of the court, by the visitors bench, Row C.

And, when I asked for the tickets, I believed the Rockets were going to get there collective crap together and not only make the playoffs, but actually have a shot at getting past the first round....

That is until about 10 days ago. So, before I even got a chance to enjoy my choice duckets, the Rockets pretty much destroyed any hope that I had for getting out of the first round, and have all but demolished my hopes for even making it to the playoffs at all!!

ALL the pundits and fans on this site have said since before the season began that this team SHOULD make the playoffs, and "have a chance to do some damage" once it got there....

I don't know how to do a poll, but I am wondering how many of you still REALLY believe we can do either of those things?

My hope is hanging by a very thin thread!! :( :mad: :( :confused:

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sort of like Gandalf hanging by a finger over the abyss before plunging into it with the Balrog. We can only hope the earth spits out a Rockets team that can play more than one good half during a game... before it's too late for THIS season.

You were lucky to get such a fine present, by the way... no matter what happens for the balance of the season.

3. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I don't believe and have never believed given that Rudy is the coach. This guy just doesn't have a clue.

Even if the Rockets get new players through trades or free agency, Rudy still wouldn't have a clue on how to coach. Even we got Tim Duncan, I'll bet the Rockets would still play like morons.

He had no clue when the Rockets had Pippen, Drexler, Dream and Barkely. The only play he had was for one of these players to go one one one while everyone else just stood there and watched. No wonder Pippen was pissed. Imagine going from the triangle offense to Rudy's offense where all you do is stand around and scratch your ass?

Until we get a new coach who can do some teaching, then I'll start to believe.

4. rocketsmetalspd

I still believe in the Rockets but I would feel much better if they would make a trade. The we are too young phase has got to go. Trade for some veterans guys that fight hard every night. Players they should seriously consider trading: MoTay, Griffin, Nachabar, Norris, Mobley.:D

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

My heart still believes, and will probably continue to believe until they're eliminated, either in the playoffs or from playoff contention.

MY brain believes we'll still make the playoffs, as a 6-8 seed. We'll then proceed to get blown out in the first round.

6. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

Pippen was just the wrong fit for that team, and had a horrible attitude. Who cares if he was pissed, he sucks, and would have been a nobody if it wasn't for M.J. Also, Clyde had retired before Pippen joined the team.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't believe in this current team.

Do one of:

-Fire Rudy or trade SF or Cat

8. FranchiseRules

I DO.

1) better record than last year - WAY better!
    2) still are not eliminated from playoff contention.
    3) Lakers - beat 'em; Sacramento - beat 'em; SanAntonio - Beat'em; and all we need is to play 4 FULL quarters against Dallas to beat 'em

Come on. We're supposed to be fans, not critics.
    ;)

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Francis is not a Franchise player. I don't believe he can lead a team to the championship. As the 2nd option maybe.

10. tariq

tariq Member

My faith is not in the Rockets. It is in that one of the other teams will go into a Rockets mode and lose 5 out of 6.

-Tariq

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Fans and critics are not mutually exclusive.

Basketball is like any organization. Just because you work for a great company doesn't mean all the employees are great.

Yes, fans don't own the team but they do affect the team's bottom line through ticket sales, new arenas, merchandising, etc.
    If fans didnt matter, why do the Rockets send representatives over to China to create interest?

If an employee is not getting the job done, what should happen?

And if the Rockets don't make the playoffs and every newspaper writer, radio caller, bbs poster start clamoring for a change, eventually it will happen.

I am a Rockets fan and will always be. However, that does mean Im giving anyone on that team a free ride when they play like crap, don't take responsibility for their actions, and act like petulent little children.

12. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Franchiserules, excellent post and I completely agree.

Watching the Mavs bomb away reminded me of what other teams used to feel like when the Rockets were bombing away during the championship years. I understand that you can get in somebody's face when they shoot but it did not matter. The Mavs were hitting on all cylinders and the refs were pathetic.
    All you had to do was sneeze on Dirk and he was on the line but our players were getting hacked and flung to the floor with no call.

13. FranchiseRules

RIET,

The Rockets are still not OUT of the playoffs.
    Your post makes it seem inevitable. Its NOT.
    Be a FAN, and it will come.;)

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It aint easy.
    The only thing that keeps hope alive is the fact that sometimes they *do* play like we know they can.
    I keeo remembering that we have beaten some really good teams. For a whole half, I thought things would be different than the last week. Then the second half happened.

Very depressing, very disappointed.

Cat just plain out killed us. SF started to drive into the teeth of the defense with no option for anyone else.

This has got to stop.

Do I still believe? Yes.
    I believe that Cat should be benched.
    I believe that Steve needs to watch tape of the first quarter last nite when Yao was damn near unstoppable.
    I believe I understand where some of you guys are coming from, I just cant share in the constant b****fest..
    I believe that the season isnt over, and we still have time to turn it around.

Life is depressing enuff without dwelling on the shortcomings of my favorite team. I prefer to look on the bright side of life.

Some things in life are bad,
    They can really make you mad,
    Other things just make you swear and curse,
    When you're chewing your life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle,
    And this'll help things turn out for the best,
    And.....

Always look on the bright side of life.
    Always look on the light side of life.

btw..FRules....good post...keep the faith:)

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

This is the problem with Houston sports fans in general. They clap and cheer when the scoreboard, or a "bear "or a "turbo" tells them too. But when the team plays poorly they don't know what to do. The scoreboard or "bear" or "turbo" don't tell them what to do.

It's all about being heard.

If you were to buy a stereo at the store, got it home only to find out it didn't work, wouldn't you be pissed? You would probably call the store to voice a complaint, maybe contact the better business bureau. You would surely bring it back to the store to ask for your money back or another stereo.

You buy a ticket to a Rockets game and they play poorly, let them know what you think. Unless you're a sheep or a Power Dancer, you are pissed at the way they played. You payed good money and expect to see effort for 48 minutes. 24 minutes doesn't cut it. Sure they can't win every game, but they should put forth a full out effort in every game. They are cheating you, the ticket buyer, by not giving a full effort.

After all, having an opinion (good or bad) of your team is what being a fan is all about.

#15 BobFinn*, Jan 30, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2003
  16. codell

codell Contributing Member

R2K,

After reading your post, I am all warm and fuzzy inside.

I feel like giving you a hug. :p

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ever since 1994, I will stop believing. Sometimes, I get so pissed, I can't even get on the board, but I will never stop believing that we can turn it around. The first half showed what we are capable of. Now Steve and Cat needs to watch the game film and see what they need to do for entire games for us to beat good teams consistently.

18. montelwilliams

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe that if you beat your head into a brick wall that you will get a bloody nose.

As many boneheaded plays as Francis and Mobley continue to make, I think their noses are the size of an elephants trunk.

This team is done...and possibley Rudy too.

DD

20. Live

Live Member

I still believe in this team.

My hope is that last night's game is that "Wake Up" call that this team really needs.

And what better way to drive it home than last night's game:

Execute the game plan and play together, very dangerous and lethal team. Otherwise, team is very average and mediocre, can't beat great teams like the Mavs.

I've remained a Rockets fan during much tougher stretches than the past few weeks, so I'm certainly not going to turn and run now.