1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is our bench good enough for the 2012-2013 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nomangame, Nov 4, 2012.

?

Is our bench good enough for the 2012-2013 season?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    81.9%
  1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

- Delfino and Morris can bring periodic scoring but neither is good enough to deserve more than spot minutes on a decent team. Also, both are streaky and one-dimensional. If they're not on, they bring as much bad as good.
    - Douglas does NOT deserve spot minutes on a decent team. Same for Aldrich. Both bring more bad than good.

If you threw Jones, Motie, White and Machado in there right now, they'd have their bumps, and may initially be liabilities in some areas, but the difference between them and the guys currently playing is that they actually have the talent to be positive contributors...and they won't show it unless they get some experience.

It's not like we have a ton to lose, which is why McHale not playing them bothers me so much.

2. whitedog324

whitedog324 Member

I really don't understand why they waived Livingston.

3. sando

sando Member

Our bench is good enough to help us ... tank.

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think the bench will be fine, and improve as we go forward. Delfino will be a hit or miss guy, could be on fire and have a huge spark or go cold. Smith looked good his first game, Morris looks much improved, and Douglas is probably the weak point but he's not god awful. Last night, he was looking pretty good on the defensive side.

Now, going forward the rookies could step up, and if any of them blow up then you have an even better bench. Jones looked awesome pre-season, and I think White and Motiejunas have high potential.

5. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I think Terrence Jones and White can make a difference if freakin McHale will play them.

6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Douglas had a pretty good defensive game near the end last night. He played atrocious O though.

7. nomangame

nomangame Member

Good point.

But my concern is this: If we're going to get another quality player (which I'm pretty sure Morrey would) Harden and Lin as the magnets to attract one may not be enough.

Put it this way, would you rather play with a great player or a great team?

Or maybe I'm just overly worried.....:(

8. sidestep

sidestep Member

The second unit last night, IIRC, got every defensive rebound except like 1 when they were in there. That looks promising. If they can play high-energy defense and rotate effectively to get stops, and generate just enough offense to keep them in the game while the starters are resting, that's about as much as I would ask from them with the current pieces. I'm not so fixated on the scoring which should/will get more polished over time.

Cole showed some nice footwork last night, and I expect one of the backup PFs to emerge as a reliable offensive contributor over the season. I'm more concerned about the bench getting stops and controlling possessions with rebounds. When Asik isn't in there, they got to fill the vacuum when it comes to rebounding.

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The rookies need to start getting some play in the near future. I don't know why we even waste minutes on Tony Douglas.

10. sidestep

sidestep Member

There's probably something not right with Douglass mentally that has got to give at some point. There's just no way a professional NBA player can continue to miss layups and generally suck like that; this must be the low before it gets better. (Let's not bring up last season bc of the shoulder injury.) It's only been 3 games.

Not even Douglass can be as bad as Douglass.

#30 sidestep, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  11. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Rotate Pat & Parsons with Jones & Morris

The bench needs a boost. Unfortunately, we got rid of Livingston. I think that was a mistake. Until we're able to address the issues at guard, I propose we start playing Jones at 4 and let Marcus backup Parsons. Not only has Marcus proven that he can score, he's also shown an ability to get up & down the floor quickly. He's not likely to become the defender that Chandler is at the 3. However, I think he's passable and will always bring toughness to the position. He'll also dominate most bench 3's in the post.

Additionally, TJ is a real athletic specimen. His size, length, speed, and advanced (for the 4) ball-handling should help the 2nd unit's offense. TJ has the ability to get the rebound and take it straight to the hoop. Our 2nd unit looks slow and feeble at the moment. It requires Harden and Lin to play too many minutes. Having another ball-handler would help, and it would minimize Delfino's court time - who I think is part of the problem.

This is not ideal, but I think it would be a minor helpful tweak until we have a solution at backup PG. Personally, I think we should roll the dice and play Machado. His short-comings at defense, should be negated by his above average play-making. You have to pick your poison. I can't see Scott having a much worse shot than TD right now. Hence, I'd rather give a little on D, to have a better return on O.

The bench looks like they're running on ultra low octane gas right now. They need an adjustment of some sort. I think these suggestions would help. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sad to say, but PatPat and Parsons are brickers until proven otherwise.

We're asking too much out of Harden and Lin.

Free TJ!!!

13. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

If Harden and Lin played too much, they would be injury-prone before All-Star break. Rockets is not a contending team this year, use the other rookies (especially TJ) to test and develop their potential. A nine-man rotation as at present will make all starters too exhausted and highly increase their chance of injury. There's a reason why NBA allows 15 registered players. 9 man-rotation is only useful in playoff games.

14. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

I hate Mchale, he's way too old school to play the rooks. Last game would have been nice to have them in there, rookies play better at home. Free Royce!

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Whats funny is when HOU hired him I thought he was brought in as a development friendly coach. Who knew HOU hired Alderman2 with a complete refusal to develop young guys.

17. tomato

tomato Member

CHRIST! Adelman2?! We'd win 10 more games if we had Adelman2!!!

18. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Is there any speculation why Jones is not playing ? He did well in preseason and I thought he may start and now he's not even playing

19. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I don't agree with this advice.

20. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Hi everyone i'm your average Clutchfans member and although I do not spend extensive time with the Houston Rockets squad, nor do I watch and coach them in training day in and day out, I believe I know a better rotation than someone who is being paid millions to do so.

I also wanted the team to fire Adelman because he didn't play the likes of Terrence Williams who is a superstar that every team wants and every other coach in the league would give a chance to play. According to my NBA2k12/13 game's he can average 35ppg and close in on a triple double every game...

Another thing I dislike about Mchale is that he never plays rookies, for some reason I didn't consider Chandler Parsons a rookie last year and will continue to ignore that fact as it somewhat gives my argument more validity.

1 person likes this.