1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Power forward should we go after?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Love would be ideal

2. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep... they just HAD TO draft Damian Lillard didnt they.

I was penciling in Aldridge as my #1 target if he became available, but I think Damien Lillard is going to make it real hard for Aldridge to force his way out of Portland. As long as LaMarcus is happy, and healthy I think he stays in Portland.

Things can change on a dime though. Who knows.

I will say though that it depends on where the Rockets are by the trading deadline. If it looks like they are a playoff bubble team then it might not be a bad idea to try and steal Josh Smith from Atlanta. Yes, I understand that he might cost WAY too much in free agency next year, but it might be worth a gamble to aquire him for the second half of the season, and give this team a chance to show you what their ceiling could look like.

I dont consider Josh Smith a superstar, but he is an All-Star player still that could actually hold good value to the Rockets on the right contract. For that reason, he's on the list, but with an asterick by his name.

#43 dobro1229, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  4. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Oh, that would be so sweet. I think he would be perfect for this team. How much is he making? Get it done Morey!

5. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Good questio.. J Smooth is a great option but his shot selection suck and gis bball iq comes into question but sometimes a player needs that change of scenery.. Its so difficult to project him in Hou.

Pau is too old for my liking, so no

I like K Love, but is he the answer? Idk

My pick would be Al Jefferson, we need a beast down low and he fits the bill, in his prime, you cant go wrong with Asik covering his defensive defeciencies

6. monster

monster Member

Unless we think we're going to actually contend this year, why not give PP, DMo and TJones a chance to learn, and give us a chance to evaluate their futures as our PF.

As far as players not currently on our roster:

Love - yes, but how on earth do we actually get him without giving up 1/2 of our team?

Al Jefferson - would be willing to consider. I haven't seen him play much in awhile, but I think he has the offense that we need at that position. Is his defensive liability going to cancel out his upside? When I think of a PF, I want someone who can shut down the lane, but if Asik works out as our big time defensive player, then I guess we can afford to be flexible here.

Josh Smith - I just don't know. Any time I hear his name, I think "knucklehead", but maybe that's unfair. He's been pretty solid the past few years hasnt' he? I think he needs to give up the long-distance shooting habits and focus on banging down low, cleaning up on missed shots, and playing within the team. If he's doing all of this and a wide open 3 presents itself, it would be a lot easier to accept him taking a few, but he isn't Dirk.

Paul Milsap - blue collar, under the radar guy who gets the job done (and would probably need as much money as the others to come here). Who knows. Maybe some of these players will now see that we're starting to build something positive here and their interest in Houston would be higher than a year ago.

Cousins - another knucklehead, but maybe he's growing up mentally. This is another guy who I'm not sure how we could land him without heavy sacrifice. I'd be willing to take a shot if the right deal came along. I dont' want to give up 1/2 our good players for him. I'm more willing to trade future picks. Of course we would probably have to give up both high picks and good players.

Pau - sigh. I dont know. I don't mind it near as much as long as he's not expected to be our #1 guy at all times.

For now, I want to see if DMo or TJones can progress. I think both of them along with PPat are undersized for the 4, but if they can play, they can play.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let's see if McHale intends to actually play any of his rookie power forwards (DMo, TJones, Rolls Royce).

Now that the team has a shot at the postseason, he seemed to go the JVG route last night by ignoring the rooks and playing Marcus Morris and Greg Smith (in Ppat's absence) at the 4 (maybe Parsons as well? without seeing the game, I can't say).

The 4 will be our Achilles heel for now. I hope Ppat won't be injured and will play well, but I don't hold a lot of faith. Neither hater nor hoper.

As far as full-time 4, I believe Terrence Jones could be that guy. But as I say, will McHale give any of the newbies a chance?

If he doesn't, and if Ppat lays an egg, let's be realistic: neither Cousins nor Aldridge will be available. Minnesota won't set us up with a future Love-Harden dynasty. Jefferson is a 5 not a 4 and has the mobility of a phone booth.

Are either Josh Smith or Paul Millsap worth the cap space we'd have to surrender?

If McHale truly wants the team to play up-tempo, Josh Smith would fit the bill, but we probably wouldn't be that team to fear in the playoffs, and Terrence Jones would blow up for another team, and for much less money.

Got-damned if you do, got-damned if you don't.

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

Q'dFT

10. josh123

josh123 Member

Love, Aldridge, or wait for the right fit.

No Millsap, no Josh Smiff, no Jefferson, no thank you.

Ask yourself, does adding one of these guys put us in the finals?

1 person likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would agree. I am hoping one of the three rookies can become that guy.

Josh Smith is a guy that I like his defense, but hate his offense.

Rockets played Morris to stretch out the defense last night. If the Rockets are truly looking for a stretch four, I wonder what it would take to pry Nikola Mirotic from Chicago. He is still in Europe and may be a while before he comes over if he comes over. He is a 40%+ three point shooter at around 6'10.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think David West would be great on this team. And would come cheaper than the other players demanding max offers.

13. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Out of Josh Smith, Aldridge, and Millsap who plays the best defense? Smith has the stats, but I don't watch enough ATL, Utah, or Portland games to make an educated assessment.

14. rockets06

rockets06 Member

This exactly! Really want to see Patterson on the floor healthy, with D-Mo & Jones worked into the rotation at the PF. Really don't want to see Morris anymore! Maybe Jones & White get playing time at SF & PF in the coming up games.

Derrick Favors would be nice IMO & LaMarcus Aldridge would be a miracle!
    As far as upcoming FA next yr I'd go with Jefferson, Smith, then Millsap! But what could we trade for Favors?

15. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

How about we trade Morris, 2Pat and Douglas get ourself a second rounder and a backup PG. that would do the trick. then we can start our rookies Jones and Moti at PF. and Moti can play some Back up C if needed also. but lets not go break out bank too, unless we getting another Star player like Harden with Potential.

Lin / PG / machado
    Harden / Cook
    Parson / Delfino / White
    Jones / Moti / White
    Asik / Aldrich

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I agree with the Aldridge/Love/Cousins comments. If we are serious about winning a championship, we cannot settle for lesser talent. We need another superstar.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

...or Harden.

Id like to have him, but not at max money.

Good player, wrong fit. We need an offensively minded 4 who is a decent defender. Josh is the opposite.

Again, like him, but not at max money.

Considering where he is and how his team is likely to do, id say our chances here are better than the others. Probably take Parsons, Pat, Dmo/Jones and a pick or 2 for starters.

No thanks.

For now, yes. Although unlikely, one of our own could fit the mold without the head injury.

18. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Bargnani! :)at the 4 spot.

19. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

THIS.

20. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I would love to see Al Jefferson at the 4.