1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real football...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jan 28, 2003.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i must've misspelled it b/c i'm american and arrogant and consider your words inferior:D

2. ScreamingRocketJet

Neither would I.;)

Geeing them up dmise...but damm do some of them deserve it. Some of the most moronic posts I have ever read.

They start the 'we are best' crap...so I am come back with "no your not" and then it's "arrogant aussie". Reality is just about everyone who has actually seen both games says the NFL has nothing on our blokes but hey, who needs an educated opinion.

The insults are water off a ducks back to me...but I am pretty sure at least one poster has wet his pants.

You'd know how arguemnets can get between us...no-one get's hurt, so it's not th end of the world.

Now...get me onto the war in Iraq and why our soft assed pathetic prime minister should stay the hell out of it and you'll really see me get angry...

:mad:

Won't touch that one though...not here anyway.

#22 ScreamingRocketJet, Jan 29, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i'm with you on this one. This is REAL Voetbal (dutch spelling)

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope y'all noticed also who is scoring against whom in that picture :D.

5. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

As an Englishman (more or less) I feel it is my duty to mention 1966, and then forget every single football match played since then... ;)

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

SJC,

The better team lost that match ;). Not suggesting USA was a more talented team, but they outplayed Germany that day :).

This is all tongue in cheek btw :).

7. dimsie

dimsie Member

Hee. :)

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There is no way that ball was fully behind the goal line. You were lucky that the linesman from Russia was blind as a bat :D.

[​IMG]

9. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Oh, I know. Everyone knows.

We got paid back in 1986 with Maradona's "Hand of God". Not to mention every single time we've played you in a championship situation since then.

"Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over. It is now!"

Actually, I think the Russian linesman wanted to disallow the goal, but there was a miscommunication between him and the referee. They weren't about to admit that after the game.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

if we are starting to bring up history.

Germany versus Holland WC 1974:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    we were better. you just got lucky.

and last WC the germans were not a verry good team, they just had Kahn, and damn he is good. he single handedlly got germany in the finals. to bad he failed there, the only team i hate seeing winning more than Germany is Brazil, ok and italy

11. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Boy did we derail this thread!

12. carayip

carayip Member

Everyone, football IS football. "Soccer" is an ignorant term created by American.

#32 carayip, Jan 29, 2003
  13. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I don't actually think that the origin of the word "soccer" is from the US. It derives from "Association Football" (which is the full name of football), and I think it's from the UK.

14. carayip

carayip Member

Football means football in all the other parts of the world except in American which refers its American football as football and real football as soccer.

Football was a sport in British created way long time ago. And the American wanted a sport to rival it and created a sport called American football which in reality is no football.

15. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I believe the Aussies also refer to football as soccer.

In terms of when the games started, there isn't a massive chronological difference. It's highly unlikely that American Football was created to rival football, it's one of several sports derived from William Webb Ellis (?) picking up the football and running with it at Rugby college, in England.

I think it would be fair to say that American Football, Rugby League, Rugby Union (and possibly Aussie Rules Football) all share the same heritage.

It's this shared origin that results with the word "football" being included in the name of the US game. It doesn't make much sense being in the name of "Rugby Football" either, but it's there.

It's really just semantics. In the same way that the States refer to "hockey" and "field hockey", and here in the UK we talk about "hockey" and "ice hockey".

What's in a name?

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Of all the goals in all the games that you could have shown you just had to show that one, and then as if that wasn't enough you have to rub it in some more. That's cruel.

I have to go cry now.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow... we had to create a <I>second</I> thread dedicated to ScreamingRocketJet's inferiority complex.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

no ****.

most americans don't give a **** about soccer or rugby.

most outside the u.s. don't give a **** about u.s. footy.

bfd.

19. ScreamingRocketJet

Soft reply. And typical from you Clutch. Particularly as the arguement had been settled and wasn't yours to add to.

Contesting something with an American has to be motivated by an "inferiority complex" right mate?

I live in the best city in the world.

You live in Utah.

Guess I'll have to cope with that 'inferior' situation...

Silly line...and as petty as yours.

Honestly, that's the weakest line you could use.

#39 ScreamingRocketJet, Jan 29, 2003
  20. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I thought he lived in Austin, TX...

Oh BTW - Soccer sucks.