1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Asik for MIP?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Oct 31, 2012.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With Harden getting more minutes and being number one option.....

3. LinMVP

LinMVP Member

Harden was already good player. Being first option will most likely make him worse, his greatest thing was efficency and that will drop.

4. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

Omer, Chandler and Lin will have more space to score...

All rival defense were into Lin and Asik during the preseason.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm just thinking that MIP generally goes to a good player that sees increased minutes. I don't think they generally look at efficiency. I think it is possible for him to jump in scoring from 16.8 ppg to around 24 ppg. I'm not saying it is right, but if Harden is scoring around 24 ppg, he will probably be in the discussion.

I don't think he will be MIP...just think casual fans will.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MIP is the kiss of death; I hope he doesn't get it.

7. trowa

trowa Member

mip award is overrated. lets not worry about that

8. trowa

trowa Member

but, if he does become dpoy, now thats impressive!

9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

noooooooooooooooo

10. jocar

jocar Member

The MIP curse has claimed many lives, let's hope for DPY instead

Kevin Duckworth (1988) – Two-time all-star died suddenly of heart failure in 2008.

Pervis Ellison (1992) – Was bitten hard by the injury bug the year after winning the award and never got back to that level.

Chris Jackson/ Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (1993) – Refused to stand for the national anthem due to Islamic beliefs in 1996 and was eventually black balled by the league.

Don McLean (1994) – Traded to Phoenix in 94-95 and went from 11 ppg to 2.6. Busted for steroids in 2000.

Dana Barros (1995) – Rode the award to a free-agent signing in Boston, and never got close to his numbers in Philadelphia.

Gheorghe Muresan (1996) – The 7-foot-7 monster was struck hard with injuries and will be remembered more for My Giant, with Billy Crystal, than his time in the NBA.

Ike Austin (1997) – Was a feel-good story as the MIP, but fell of the face of the earth after signing a big deal with Orlando.

Alan Henderson (1998) – Had a breakout year with Atlanta and never met those numbers again.

Jalen Rose (2000) – Was dealt to Chicago in 2001, then sent to Toronto two years later. Rose fizzled out in New York and Phoenix before joining ESPN as an analyst. Arrested for a DUI in February 2011.

Tracy McGrady (2001) – Most feared scorer in the NBA but lost a few steps when back problems flared up during his time in Houston. Shoulder and knee injuries would pile on, leaving McGrady to come off the bench for Detroit in 2011.

Jermain O’Neal (2002) – The Pacers big man would fall victim to numerous injuries and never get over the Malice in the Palace, where he was suspended for 25 games, forcing him to bounce around the league before coming to rest in Boston this season.

Gilbert Arenas (2003) – Signed an $111 million deal with Wizards and played just 68 total games for Washington in four season before getting dealt to Orlando, where he’s averaging eight points a game.

Zach Randolph (2004) – Randolph has continued to excel on the court despite the curse plaguing him with injuries, suspensions and drug charges.

Bobby Simmons (2005) – Simmons parlayed his MIP into a contract with the Bucks in 2005 and didn’t earn a cent of it, missing the entire 2006-07 season with an ankle injury. He was recently waived by San Antonio and is now drowning in the D-League.

Hedo Turkoglu (2008) – Signed a meaty five-year, $53 million contact with Toronto in 2009, after winning the MIP and putting up a good showing in the NBA Finals with Orlando. He was run out of Canada after being spotted at a nightclub despite the fact he missed action with a stomach virus. He’s back with the Magic, scoring over 11 points per game.

Aaron Brooks (2010) – Brooks flourished in the role of scorer for Houston in 2010 but injuries slowed his progression this year, eventually sending him to Phoenix, where he scored under 10 points per game behind Steve Nash.

11. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

Nah MIP is probably going to Dragic or possibly Brandon Roy is he can stay healthy.

12. Grigori

Grigori Member

Asik: MIP? What that? I aiming for MVP.

13. GideonC

GideonC Member

If Asik doesn't get the trophy, hope he steals it as they try to hand it to somebody else... and then throws it to Lin to start the break.

14. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I'll tell you a scarier statistic. No one has ever won an NBA championship with the MIP award :eek: