1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 10/17/2012 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

Perspective is always a good thing.

2. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

I wholeheartedly endorse visiting Turkey. Istanbul and Ephesus have amazing historical places and the beach towns are great. I'll also add Cappadocia as a must-see due to its unique landscape.

Turkey is a secular country. It separates the state and the religion. I wouldn't say Turkish attitude toward religion is like Americans' however. It's obvious that you only visisted the very tourisy western Turkey. If you have gone in land toward eastern Turkey, you'd find people are more conservative.

Even in Istanbul, have you see any Turkish women wearing skirts or dresses bearing their legs? No. On my entire trip in Turkey, I only saw one, who's a "girlfriend" of an Irish guy and I ran into them at a coastal tourist town. Most women over 40 still cover themselves in long dresses and coats (to the ankle and with long sleeves) and head scarves even in the summer heat. Some professional younger women wear short-sleeves and don't cover their heads, but they still wear long pants. Men can wear anything they want, except in the mosque. Men have to wear long pants in the mosque.

Liberation from religion is not the same for women in Turkey. Although, Turkey is still less conservative than most other Muslim countries on a whole.

3. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Oops, "baring" their legs.

4. alethios

alethios Member

Now our rookies are becoming food. What's next, Omer Kebab?

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Turkish food does go down hard.

6. marothisu

marothisu Member

I agree with you. That was my experience, and I did go outside of Istanbul. I went to some rural areas more east and south as well. It's no different than saying in the US that there are areas in the deep south, arizona, etc that are very conservative and religious as well. You have regions in the US that are definitely more tolerable of certain things than other regions/cities. Although I'd say there are some big cities, just like here, that are definitely more conservative than others.

I did actually see some Turkish women who were not exactly covered up at some clubs in Istanbul. There are a lot of them who are classy. There are many at least in the big cities that do not do it, but they dress nicely without looking like a slut. My experience at least. I've seen a lot of different things there.

It is different for women there, but when I was there in many areas, I did see both things. I definitely saw a lot of what you were talking about, although more were Kurdish than anything in certain areas. I saw women who dressed in skirts in some of the hot nightlife areas, I saw women who dressed classy, I saw women what you were talking about, and I saw the stereotypical Muslim woman covering up. It's not like they WANT to all dress skimpy and can't. It's that they don't view themselves like that. The country is going some change in certain areas. Slowly, but in the end they are still a secular country. They are generally accepting of other peoples/religions too, whereas some other countries are not nearly as accepting or even close (again, in certain areas).

They are much less conservative than other Muslim countries for sure. I don't think you can find another Muslim country with openly gay clubs/bars there. Homosexuality has been "legal" there for longer than the US, however they don't really have great anti-discrimination laws. So you have a lot of people who don't like them and can get away with things.

Anyway, to add to the areas..Pamukkale too. I'll say that Troy is a tourist trap. It's important historically, but not much there. Ephesus is awesome. If you go to Ephesus, stop by the museum too, and also St. John's Basilica (where the Book of John is believed to have been written). One of the ancient wonders of the world is also right outside of the Basilica, although only one column remains. Oh, and if you're in the market for buying a > $3000 rug, then there are some places in the area that are amazing more out in the country. There's also the "House of Mary" which is believed to be the final house of the virgin mary. Up a few thousand feet in the mountains. Nondescript old house, but the stuff in the area around it is cool. Unofficial pilgrimage site.

7. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agreed, nice post.
    Very good read of rockets situation
    I think mc hale will play the best team at the start of the season, when thw numbers shows as the reality, machado, dmo and white will have more playing time.
    The only thing I'm not with you is about kevin martin. I think his value will growing to the half of the season and morey will take a bad contract with a good pick or a young player for him. I bet this trade will be with chicago

8. mirus

mirus Member

You should really try it .it's really nice,like all of these guys told you.bit of expensive tho.

I always wonder how Muslim athletes survive Ramadan,especially for a practicing Muslim.(I knew Hakeem was one(i think he's a practicing Muslim could be mistaken),but he was way b4 my time.

BTW The original source is here
    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1077894
    Credit goes to this poster.
    there's a few other anecdotes in the thread.

9. marothisu

marothisu Member

After awhile they get used to it...if it was someone who just started practicing and they had to do this, then it would be way different.

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The Terminator

11. shuh

shuh Member

Indeed, if Kevin Martin can keep his current form, his trade value can rise by half season. Agree with you, just hope he does not get injured!

12. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

there ya go. now we're talking Mediterranean food

1 person likes this.
  13. umberto

umberto Member

If a muslim practises fasting during ramadan, he's not supposed to eat or drink (not even plain water) between sunrise and sunset. All the while I thought Hakim(and most muslim players in NBA) probably didn't fast during ramadan , but this article wow me:

Link

That's really really tough. I've utmost respect for this guy. According to my muslim friend, not all muslim practise the same. In some countries, they can opt for not fasting with valid reason, and instead donate to the needy or doing such good deeds.

For 5-time-a-day prayers, if they miss them, they can always make up in their free time. They must strive to practise all these though. Anyway, Omer is not a rookie, should have adapted to NBA life by now. Just hope he doesn't try to convert his teammates like Hakim did. Best to leave religion out of the locker room.

14. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

If Lin's shots were going in, he'd shoot everytime they gave him room. As he should. But it ain't going in, so he's not producing enough spacing for his team.
    Good to see you on here torocan, your analytics were really impressive last season.

15. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Actually he stop shooting a lot under Woodsen and he was running the offence like how he is now with the Rockets (he took like 10 or less shots during this time, most of his points came from line). He only took a ton of shots when Melo and Amare were out and also when they weren't hitting their shots, which they weren't for most of Feb and March. Since the other Houston starters are playing pretty well, especially Martin who is hitting his shots, Lin doesn't really need to look for his shots, just enough to keep the defense honest. Some fans want him to be like he was when he was the top scorer on that team, but for me I thought he played his best as a PG under Woodsen, running an efficient offense, I mean during that time they were blowing several teams out.

If you watched the games last year, in many games Lin would try to set-up his team mates a lot during the first half and only start looking for his shots later, that's why he had such a high PER in the 4th quarter last year. This is why I don't see him as a score first point guard like a lot of people say. They just see that he was so good at scoring so they just label him as such, but he also had a ton of assists.

I do agree he does need to find his jumpshot. It's too bad that every jumpshot he did make in these games didn't count due to a foul.

1 person likes this.
  16. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

he was a shooting guard in high school and in college but since he was relied heavily on offense and opponents game plan him, he developed useful point guard skills. with his skills set and size, it was an easy transition for him. and so that's what he is today.. a good floor general who can also score a bunch.

17. King Boo

King Boo Member

You're seriously saying Lin should get over 10 assists a game if he plays 25-30 minutes?!? I think you're getting spoiled by Lin's good play :p

To put things in perspective, there were only 2 players in the NBA that averaged over 10 assists a game last year, Steve Nash (32mins) and Rajon Rondo(37mins).

Andre Miller, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry etc.. are all in the 5-6 range.

18. torocan

torocan Member

Context. I posted that DURING the game.

I was referring to this specific game where he already had 7 assists at the 16 minute mark. He ended up with 12 assists on 27 mins of play.

And no I don't expect him to average 10 assists per game in the regular season. Last season there were only 2 PG's with 10+ assists per game... Rondo and Nash. And Lin isn't in that echelon of point guards at this point in his career.

19. dantian

dantian Member

Lin played great game and is particularly improving his passing game.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

YES he is really annoying. I got really annoyed about the ignorant things that comes out of his mouth. Seriously, this guy doesn't know anything that are going on in the Rockets. Maybe that's why nobody really respects him.

When Bill Worrell was talking about Lin being on the cover of GQ and stated that Lin said he was disappointed because he wasn't with the Knicks and Clyde said " Oh, if he didn't wanted so much money, he would of been with the Knicks right now." I really cannot believe he really think that's true.

I'm not the biggest Lin fan but at least I know whats going on. At least Bill and Bull isn't as ignorant as Clyde is. Bill reply back to Clyde saying "No he had no choice" because the Knicks told him to sign an offer sheet and so he did, the Knicks just decided not to match...

Clyde is exactly like some of those stupid ignorant Knicks fans that just pull stuff out of their behinds. Just saying anything and believing its true like Lin is really money hungry whatever.