1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No plays for rookies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by allaroundplayer, Oct 16, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am hoping that at least two of them have a Chandler Parsons like rookie year.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well we pretty much that Jones is going to get minutes. So he will a good chance to breakout this season.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And Im sure its McHale thats been telling them that whatever player brings the ball up the floor has to chuck up a contested shot with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Thats a great way to get your rookies involved in the offense.

Look, its preseason, and everyone on that roster that isn't in the starting five has something to prove to the coaching staff, and its been helter skelter basketball because of it when they come off the floor.

If a rookie wants to get involved in the offense THIS SEASON the first thing they need to do in the preseason is play solid defense, be in the right spots during the play, hussle, make smart plays, and shut up. Then you might actually get rotation minutes once the season starts and you will be forced into the action.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So the narrative on the BBS at the end of the season will be that our rookies really are great players and stars in the making, but McHale's coaching failures have prevented them from showing it.

5. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

I have no issues with him not drawing plays for the rookies, but I am concerned he's not playing them more.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

Looks like only Terrence Jones is going to get minutes out of all the rookies.

7. marothisu

marothisu Member

A big reason is because he's probably the only rookie who can actually play defense to a decent level.

8. carayip

carayip Member

McHale plays whoever has a positive impact, ie Parsons last year and possibly Jones this year. It's up to the rookies only. You don't just automatically become good by playing 40 minutes in blowout losses every night like all Bobcats players did last year. If they are good, they will play.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think D-mo will play backup center and Lamb will play backup SG.

I see no reason at all to play Livingston over Lamb and outside of D-Mo (Greg Smith never plays) we have no one else tall enough to play center.

10. anchel

anchel Member

Bart Whatever said at the pregame preview that McHale told the media that still half of the offensive sets will be implemented this next week. We'll see...
    Hopefully something for Martin off the ball, or even Lin -like we saw from the Spurs with Parker the other day- and something more putting the ball inside. I think Pat surprisingly can help down there, and even the turkish.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Delfino's shot is money and he plays good defense. What's not to like?

He just turned 30 in August. That's our oldest player in the rotation.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. I don't understand why Martin played so much. We already knew what he could do. Throw Lamb out there to the wolves and see how he could fend.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Delfino's shot was money tonight.

14. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

So the rookies can't even spell his own name and you want them to sketch out a novel.
    Got to know the basics of english comprehension before righting a book? Just saying.....

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Martin really hasn't got much burn at all in the preseason despite the fact that when he's on the court he's been lights out. Also, did anyone else see that play they started running with K-Mart running the play out of the post???.... Am I dreaming or something???

Anyways, Lamb.... uhhhh.... he has looked terrible in preseason and has had plenty of minutes so far to showcase what he can do. Not saying he's not going to be a good player or anything, but just like alot of the rookies, he's got a long way to go.

Martin however, is going to land the Rockets something pretty awesome before February if he keeps on playing like this. Remember, K-Mart is a large expiring, and the better he plays, the more value he has going into mid-season. Then the better the piece that the Rockets can get back in trade. I say PLAY K-MART!!!

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I like to see McHale established a solid rotation of players at this point. See which players are playing better with which players. I thought Machado is a better player backing Lin, not Douglas...sorry. He sets up play and he's a true QB that's what you need on the floor and he seems to have good chemistry w/ Dmoe.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I totally disagree. Lamb has the next 2-3 years to hopefully develop as our future SG. Meanwhile, the Rockets need Martin to look good ASAP... as in NOW.

If KMart performs well, I can easily envision we trade him in 1-2 months for a decent draft pick or a young player. If Lamb is 1-2 months ahead in terms of development curve, it's not going be worth anything 3 years down the road anyway.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Playing Martin in preseason isn't something we should question in isolation. Having him on the court with Lin and Asik help them get ready for real time, as opposed to Lin having to get burn with rookies on the court. Form a core for 20mpg, so you can introduce the rookies to a core. Otherwise, everything can just be a random mess.

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'd have to take your word for it on defense because of the two games I've actually been able to see this preseason Delfino show barely a twinge of defensive effort.

20. allanivan

allanivan Member

OMG, you said the exactly what I am talking about... Someone plz send that to Mcfail.