1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Lin still Rockets future cornerstone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by typhooonn, Oct 15, 2012.

?

What do you think Lin's future in Rockets?

1. He will be Rockets future cornerstone

17.8%
  2. He will be a star player

24.7%
  3. He will be a average player

49.8%
  4. He will be a bust

7.7%
  1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Good job Rookie, exposing your LOF tendencies in your first post of this turrible thread. Just turrible.

2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Nothing has changed.

3. Gil

Gil Member

Starting to feel a bit sorry for Lin. Cool guy who just wants to play in the NBA but the hype & THAT contract has pretty much put the spotlight & a target on an average player who still has alot of deficiencies in his game.

I could see him becoming a serviceable Lowry/Gogi/Conley type player in 2-3 years with patience but the feel-good story is pretty much over since he got paid.

Only real problem with Lin is the fact he spent a month promoting his brand in Asia when he should have been working on his weaknesses throughout the summer. Even got a Team USA invite to practice with the best players in the World which he bizarrely rejected to attend the ESPY's or whatever. (Might be wrong on this)

Unless he's really just a marketing ploy to fill Les' pockets then I could see getting rid of two Top 15 PG's for a work-in-progress in Lin, eventually cost Morey his job.

4. webattorney

webattorney Member

Noting that this is a preseason where young players are supposed to make mistakes and try to learn from them, and also noting that we should wait until JLin plays at least around 25 regular games, my guess at this point would be that he will be an above average NBA player if he can develop a solid jumper. Otherwise, because most teams and opposing players would be keyed on him, his score will be down but that should present a better opportunity to make assists If JLin can show an outside shooting threat. Otherwise, they are going to give him open jump shots and play off him and then try to cut passing lanes. This also means other Rockets players have to realize that they can take advantage of this and make open shots. I expect JLin to have an average stats of around 12 to 14 points per game, 9 assists and around 3 turnovers and 2 steals per game. But I do think it's not fair or wise to judge him on several preseason games. Lastly, I think JLin played ok during the first two preseason games, even though his shots were not working. I can tell you now that he is not going to be making as many driving to the basket shots without getting slammed. Yes, it's true that his fame precedes his skills at this point, but all JLin wanted to do was play basketball without being under microscope, but the nature of media and sports fans who either want a hero or a villain will not allow this. I don't feel sorry for JLin who already is set for life financially, but I do feel sorry for him that he will feel a lot of pressure whether he wants to play for God or not. Unfortunately, he is still in the real world which is populated by people who want to see him fail. However, keep in mind that JLin never wanted this much fame, but I think he understands that he has to rise up and meet the challenge. Given his character and past challenges he met, I am confident that he will give it one hell of try. I am rooting for JLin to succeed, and if he fails, I will feel sad, because I like to see good guys like JLin, Durant and D Rose do well.

1 person likes this.
  5. roxxy

roxxy Member

You are wrong on this on so many levels. And your comment that he shouldn't have a life is absurd considering the fact that everyone Rocket players, coaches, former teammates, former coaches, current coaches, media personality have commented on how hard of a worker he is. This is a re-curing theme I see amongst a lot of fans to NBA players. These guys have lives to. Frequently I see fans tweeting players who are active on twitter to stop tweeting and focus on your game. That is just bull ****. The majority of these players spend 5-6 hours a day working on there craft. Relax with that nonsense. And that feel good story stuff was bull. I like Lin the good guard all that "Linsanity" stuff is pointless noise.

6. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

i feel like this topic has been beaten to a pulp already so why do we keep bringing it up after every other preseason game?

is jeremy lin a superstar player? no. is he jeremy lin a franchise cornerstone? more than likely not. with that being said, i do think he can be more than serviceable and is well worth the money that the Rockets have invested in him.

jeremy lin was brought into the fold because frankly the organization understands that the team is more than likely another 3-5 years from being able to obtain "contender" status and will be able to generate revenue DESPITE what is expected to be a less-than-stellar win-loss record at the end of the season. simply put, if you aren't the lakers, heat, or the thunder, there isn't a point at throwing gargantuan amounts at second-rate stars that will have running around in circles much like the hawks and grizzlies. if you can't win many games, you might as well make some money and make sure your bottom-line profit is in the green. it's no secret that the rockets have been struggling with attendance and ratings and the addition of jeremy lin is exactly what the rockets needed. in other words, the move was probably more so a business move than it was for basketball reasons. this isn't to take anything away from jeremy lin the basketball player, but we lost depth at the PG position (losing Dragic and Lowry) to pay more for a similar caliber basketball talent and there really is only one way to justify the additional expense -- it's business. lowry and dragic wouldn't be able to generate the buzz and revenue that Lin could and if we had kept both of those guys only to see similar basketball returns year after year as the team's revenues and attendance continue it's downward spiral, what's in it for the team's investors?

jeremy lin is a marketing juggernaut and a "superstar" in the business sense. it makes perfect sense for the rockets to invest in jeremy lin. however, jeremy lin is more than likely a "stopgap" before the team finds it's real franchise cornerstone.

7. webattorney

webattorney Member

To "cooliobob"

You do make a pretty good point, even though I think JLin will turn out to be more than serviceable.

8. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Go back to the Knicks board. He doesn't need you feeling sorry for him and there was a reason why he didn't practice with the Team USA which I'm pretty sure you know when you even know he attended the ESPYs.

9. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

"Still"???? Are you basing this "THE DOWNFALL OF JEREMY LIN" in Preseason games??? man....

10. 13th Man

13th Man Member

He didn't play with Team USA because he didn't have a contract in place so why risk injury before securing a paycheque? It was a smart career/business move.

How will he turn out with the Rockets? I cannot say only after only 3 preseason games. We've seen that he's displayed good floor generalship but also the bad habits of the past which causes turnovers. His shooting hasn't been the sharpest either so he still has some work to do. I agree that his Chinese tour might have slowed down his offseason development so hopefully he will use this preseason to get back into the groove. I also think that because of being over-worked last year he chilling a little bit right now, maybe a bit too much for coach McHale's liking lol.

11. 13th Man

13th Man Member

How come we can't edit our posts? I forgot to add that I think he will be above average, maybe not star level this year but above average.

12. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

Would still rather have Gogi

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

In the entire history of the league, not a single player has ever recovered from a few bad pre-season games to go on to a productive NBA career. Not one. It has never happened.

At this point, we should just cut our losses and dump Lin for a late 2nd-round pick, and maybe a couple hundred towels to use in the locker room.

14. lalala902102001

Lin won't be a star, but he'll be a solid piece.

This kid only started 30 games in his career, and he's not 100% healthy. Let's give him some time.

15. trowa

trowa Member

rondo also not having a great night for a vet, celtics fans should jump on rondo too

16. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

He just joint the Knicks two days b4 this game...

17. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Why even ask this question after two preseason games?

18. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

your reply is horreble

19. 13th Man

13th Man Member

LOl @ this. More like there's no difference between a star player and cornerstone.

I sense that the OP is a Lin hater. He poses this question after a poor showing by Lin and leaves out above average. How can there not be something between average and star player? Just LOL.

If you think above average means the same as average I don't know what to say.

20. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Cant agree more! But definitely Lin is not Lin was anymore. He still needs time to play up to 100%.