1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Horror / Scary Movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Sep 29, 2012.

1. 713

713 Member

The first Hulk movie....

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'll echo Event Horizon. That is one movie that REALLY messed with me and gave me nightmares.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It's a really solid sci-fi horror film, shame Paul W. S. Anderson went downhill from there.

4. justtxyank

It was so well done. The whole hell dimension idea was put into work perfectly. It helps that the actors were all good. Instead of trying to get good looking people they got good actors. Sam Neil was perfect for the role.

5. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Nightmare On Elm Street was pretty much the only movie that scared me that I can remember as a kid. The Fourth Kind freaked me out a bit although it was not scary.

6. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

I actually watched The Shining a month or so ago after so many years of hearing it was a classic and loving the Simpsons parody of it. For some reason it wasnt much scary to me but thrilling in some parts and Jack Nicolson's acting was solid.

I really enjoyed The Last Exorcism. It was pretty much the best scary movie I had seen in a while that mad me a tad bit scared. Scary movies for the most part don't really terrify me but I do enjoy a decent story.

I actually posted an article about scary movies recently on my blog. **cheap plug**

Been watching a good load of horror movies on Netlfix that you guys have mentioned. Candyman blowed, Hellraiser blew as well, Children of the Corn sucked ass.

Out of what I have seen so far here's my top 10. I'm sure it can change once I watch some of the other classics I've heard about like Polterguist and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc.

1.Stephen King's IT (Scared the crap out of me when I was younger. I wouldnt go near sewage drains for fear of a clown pulling me under.)
    2.The Last Exorcism
    3. SAW I
    4.The Exorcist
    5. The Ring
    6. The Last House on the Left (New Version)
    7.Drag Me to Hell
    8. Paranormal Activity
    9. The Shining
    10. Jeepers Creepers

7. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

I haven't found the "classics" that I've watched to be all that scary. The Shining meh to me. I thought the acting in the Shining (outside of Jack Nicholson) to be terrible especially by the actress who played the wife. The Exorcist is way overrated. I watched that during Hurricane Ike by myself in the dark and thought it was stupid. I also watched two of the "sequels" and they sucked.

The Ring was decent. I liked the images, but the ending was lame. Same thing with the Grudge. Drag Me to Hell was okay too. The setup was really good, but the story was a bit goofy.

8. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

[​IMG]

9. justtxyank

Agree that the Shining is overrated to me. It's entirely because of the wife. She is terrible. I get why the movie is good, but the wife makes it really hard for me to watch it.

Also agree on the Ring. It was all ok until the thing crawls out of the tv. That was just too stupid. Killed the whole thing for me.

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

The Wizard of Oz - the flying monkeys, the melting witch and those terrifying munchkins.

1 person likes this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

reppd.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

Wow i guess i have to go back and watch some of these movies. I did see Jaws 3D so maybe that's why i'm not into jaws.

13. Win

Win Contributing Member

... there goes the nightmares again - thanks alot TB

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

You guys might think I'm crazy but I think "Signs" is one of the scariest movies I've seen. I dont know what it is, I guess I've always been kinda scared of aliens.

The scene where Mel Gibson's character spots the alien in the cornfield in the middle of the night is so tense and frightening.

I would totally run away scared like a little b**** if that happened to me in real life.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

it is all relative
    Some of these movies are so old .. . even if you never saw them
    you know the story so . . when you do see them . .they not as scary

Then there is the SEEN IT BEFORE
    Seeoinga modern classic that reminds you of an older movie
    takes away alot of the fear factor ..

Rocket River

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One movie I'll add is Insidious. It's another PG 13 film. The things I like about it, are that the protagonists don't make stupid decisions. They do the things most people would do, to fix the problem.

It's actually scary.

Also Ringu was great. Ring is the same thing, and didn't change it very much.

17. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

The Shining, thats one fudged up movie!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Not many movies have really scared me. Recently Insidious & Dead Silence made me jump a few times. The Ring scared me, so did Rosemary's baby.

White noise had a creepy ass preview as did The Grudge & Gothika.

Not much after that.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kids these days...

(Have bad taste...)