1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] Helping Little Brother (College Dropout) Find a Job

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, Mar 23, 2012.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Why won't your parents pay for it? Or at least help him get a loan or something? It's 4 classes for Pete's sake.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Try not to be condescending towards the guy. He's immature, he doesn't understand the real world, bla bla bla. You mean well of course, but at the same time it is clear you are very different people who have difficulty seeing each other's perspectives.

One of my closest friends was treated this way and he dragged his ass through a finance degree and working at 2 multinational banks. He has been miserable for it every single day of his life for the past 10 years with little to no savings to show for it. At every juncture, he told me that he's not sure he wants to do this. He was doing it because his father mentally terrorized him about it, saying all sorts of things like "are you going to let me die unhappy?" and "if you want to hang out with your little brothers and sisters, then you're going to play by my rules" - knowing full well he is uber family oriented.

What's he up to now? He quit his job, a 30 yr old guy wondering how to start over.

If you want what's best for him then:

- Support him as best you can but with a deadline.
    - Try to get to the root of the problem, dig deeper.

You might find that you were right, but it is worth hashing this thing out so that neither of you regret it later on. If you dig deep and find nothing, he will see that and realize that he is letting an opportunity slip away. There is also the very real possibility that this path was a terrible idea and he has only just realized. Another possibility is that somewhere along the way, he changed and stopped giving a damn about the things he used to give a damn about - which is perfectly normal at his age.

Also, if it were my brother, I would look for any blatant signs of trauma, depression or drug abuse just to be safe. You never know till you know.

Good luck, I wish you guys the best.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

I
    Who gives a crap he is a grown ass man. If he wants to deal drugs let him, he is done with high school and consider an adult. HE IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

why should his parents pay for it? he's a grown as man. they'll just become enablers.

this thread is a few months old. the OP gave an update to the situation on the last page.

dharocks, i know you want to help your brother but he needs to man up. if you keep babying him, he'll take advantage of your generosity and you'll just resent him.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I appreciate everyone's added input, but this was actually a thread bump to give an update on the situation (here's my post on page 2). Sorry for the confusion! :) (for some reason I couldn't edit my original post to put the update there)

Long story short:

* He's been living with me since April (and hasn't spoken to our folks since moving out).

* He transferred to an accredited online not-or-profit school (i.e., he and GlenRice won't be attending any DeVry class reunions) in June that accepted all of his credits. He just graduated.

* He already had his business coursework close to satisfied, but to pad his credits up to 150 he took (and passed) a number of CLEP exams in the humanities and is now eligible to sit for the CPA exam (something he doesn't seem particularly enthusiastic about, can't blame him but such is life).

* Once he was back in school, we were able to get him a last-minute (pro-bono) internship at a local CPA firm. Looks like they're keeping him on now that he's graduated, so even though it's just a clerk job, it's a start.

* Unfortunately, whatever the root cause for his malaise/lack of motivation, it doesn't seem to be resolved. Even though he now has the degree and is on his way to a career, he's not very enthusiastic about the whole thing (which is kind of a kick in the nuts given how much I've been helping him out the last couple months).

Thinking it might be time to take him to a psychologist. I have a history of depression and anxiety issues, my sister has OCD, so maybe there's something there. Until dropping out he was always a pretty stable and happy-go-lucky (if immature) guy. I always just assumed he was the lucky one in our family. I'm not crazy about the idea of paying for yet another thing to get him back on track, but I'll think about it.

Again, thanks for the advice everyone (even the belated advice :grin: )

#45 dharocks, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

Quit enabling him. If he wants the couch, he finishes school.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Tough situation. I am completely ignorant about depression so I have no advice to offer there.

However, if depression isn't the issue, then I'd say he just has no interest in working in accounting/finance for 30 years. There's gotta be something he has interest in. I would suggest he persues that no matter the bleak financial prospects of a career in that something.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sounds like it's going well, great news.

9. sammy

Parents don't have to do anything. I'm about to have a girl and I fully plan on paying for her college education just like my parents did for me and my 3 siblings. My younger brother is in med school and my parents pay for it with cash..no loans. We plan on taking care of our parents once they retire even though they should have their own income. It's the circle of life. My parents took care of their parents since the early 80's. Both of my remaining grandparents passed away in the last 30 days :(

10. dharocks

Oh, one more thing. I get where people are coming rom when they say maybe he just doesn't want to do accounting/finance for his career, and actually you guys could well be correct. But the simple fact his, for 18 months he wasn't tying to get a job in any field, he now he has a degree in accounting/finance, and those industries are actually hiring.

If he ultimately decides that he wants a career in a different field, fine by me, but for right now he'll need to settle for the current path ahead of him until he builds up some savings and moves out of my apartment. I don't think that's at all unreasonable.

I will say that regardless of what he ultimately decides he wants to do, I think he'd be a fool not to go for the CPA now that he's eligible. He's got the brains to pass, I still have some of my own study materials that he can use, and being licensed would just open so many doors or him in so many industries.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you and your brother sound like you want to succeed. that would make any parents proud and that the money they invest in you two is worth it. dharock's brother seems like he is just looking for a free ride.

1 person likes this.
  12. sammy

I get that but isn't that when some parenting might come into use? I'll be damned if I let my son or daughter quit school esp with 4 classes left. I guess it's easier said than done but didn't they enable him by letting him stay at home for so long while doing nothing?

13. sammy

Accounttemps (Robert Half)
    Tempfinders

He should be able to land a job fairly easily. Getting his CPA may be the way to go but he'll work crap hours for ultimately the same pay as O&G jobs.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Don't force him to do what he doesn't want to do. It's his life, as long as he's not hurting anyone else he can do anything he wants.

15. dharocks

He's been living with me for five months and I haven't asked him for a dime in rent or grocery money, I paid for his tuition this past semester and all of his testing fees, I've offered to pay for his CPA exam fees and study materials, and until his loans got deferred I was covering those too in addition to my own. Yeah, it's his life and he can make his own decisions, but until he actually takes some control of his life and starts making adult decisions, I'd say I'm pretty justified in pushing him down this career path.

I've been at a Big 4 for almost two years and can help him find work in this field. The kids from his class who graduated in 2011 who have been working in accounting/finance for the last year should potentially be able to help him get his resume out.

Look, I'm not saying he has to do public accounting for the rest of his life. I'm getting out of it probably sometime in the next 6 months and moving into the private sector. But he needs to start somewhere, and the fact of the matter is he has a dual degree in accounting/finance and over 150 credit hours.

1 person likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Glad he graduated and hope he realizes that he should pay you back for all your help. Most importantly, I hope he starts talking to your parents again. That has to be tough for them. I have a son graduating with a computer engineering degree in December, and another kid who's a junior in high school. It would really upset us if our son suddenly broke off contact... no visits, no phone calls. We spent a fortune paying his way through school (he doesn't owe a dime, and realizes how lucky he is, thank god), and I bet your folks shelled out a hell of a lot over the years, love him, and don't deserve to be treated this way.

Anyway, good luck with him going forward. He's damned lucky to have a brother who cares. Not everyone does.

1 person likes this.
  17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man, more patience than me. As long as his life was not in immediate danger, I would have let him get a wake up call. I am a lazy bast...I mean lazy, and I work to live, but I can't stand those that just leech off others and sit around wasting away.

18. esteban

esteban Member

You are such a good guy dharocks, many blessings will return to you my friend!

1 person likes this.