1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling all Tempurpedic owners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Sep 1, 2012.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

So my moron dog urinated on our super nice (and expensive) Tempurpedic bed today...as luck would have it, we had just stripped the bed of all its covers and sheets to wash them, so she basically went right on the mattress. I know that Tempurpedic says not to use liquids of any kinds, but I'm terrified that this thing will stink indefinitely and I will have pissed away several thousands dollars (no pun intended).

Any recommendations? This ever happen to anyone else? Anybody want a super neurotic dachshund?

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Did you drop something on the mattress protector?

3. drumbum

drumbum Member

4. Classic

Classic Member

if it smells clean, it's gotta be right?
    [​IMG]

5. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Not sure if there was a better thread to bump, but what mattress protectors do you guys use. I can't find one that's comfortable enough. I have the Protect-A-Bed Luxury one right now, but I don't feel like I'm getting the benefit of sleeping on foam, plus it sounds like a plastic when I move around.

6. likestohypeguy

Yeah that's kind of the cost of protection. Many have covers they like or don't notice the difference with, but I've found even the lightest & thinnest ones still trade off to varying degrees maximum support for longevity. Every layer between you & your foam robs a little more of its conforming action imo.

So I don't use one on my setup, and just accept the fact that I have to replace my topmost foam layer far more often than I would if I used a real cover. Because if using the lightest bamboo cover, effectively putting just two sheets between you & your mattress, does destroy foam faster. Just depends on how much you need that extra micro support, how much using up your mattress faster is worth it, or if you can find a cover you can get used to.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It's like putting plastic over your sofas. Some people do it but I think it's stupid. Just enjoy it. Clean it as best as you can when it gets dirty. And then throw it away when it's too bad.

8. redefined

How do you replace just the top portion of the foam? Does someone come in to install it?

9. redefined

The warranty is void if liquid gets to the foam. Tempurpedic provided a cover with the mattress, but I don't think it's waterproof.

But I can definitely feel a difference when I sleep, so I might just remove it entirely like you mentioned. I will just make sure to never have any sort of liquid near my bed or let my dog sleep on it.

10. likestohypeguy

Well I have a poor man's version: springs pilfered from posturepedics, then a block of latex, then a thin layer of memory foam on top, all loose. I've replaced the top layer several times over the years vs. only once for my latex core & springs so far.

I know a lot of foam mattresses come with all their layers glued together. In that case you'd have to electric knife the top layer off to replace it. It works, but makes a huge mess. You just can't top any foam that's lost its resilience with new foam- its only as good as your weakest link.

11. icrnk

icrnk Member

12. AXG

AXG Member

I know you're probably joking, but this is what I did. I just sprayed the hell out of mine.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah we just use a regular mattress pad. Those covers are loud and make your several thousand dollar mattress feel like you're sleeping on a hospital bed. I wouldn't use one unless you have a kid that frequently wets the bed and/or a large dog that craps in your wife's face.

14. Summer Song Giver