1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is comedy to you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Another Brother, Jan 16, 2003.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I like

Dave Chapelle
    Chris Rock
    Mitch Hedburg

:)

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

if you want comedy, hang around the chat room when no games are going on.

also - Dave Chapelle r00lz

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

B-Bob, have you ever seen a Dame Edna show?

Has anyone here? S/he played at Jones Hall the week of the Allison storm, so only did about 2 shows of the scheduled 2 weeks.

4. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

S/he has (had?) a weekly television show here in Canada. Very funny. VERY quick witted. She is really a he in drag, for those of you who don’t know. Can’t remember his name though.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Boy, that thing just keeps going, doesn't it? They had about 30 seconds of kinda funny footage, and stretched it into two and a half minutes of crap.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

The movie wouldn't work for me. What was it?

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a movie put together of Halo clips of six multiplayer characters jumping around and fawning about in time with this song playing in the background. It is kind of cute at first, but it just keeps going. There is really only 3-4 things the characters do to make them look like they are dancing.

I liked the Battlefield 1942/Eminem (I think it was Enimem) video much better.

8. Nomar

Nomar Member

Dude. The "action from the back section" part is hilarious. And the grenade throwing in time to the beat is genius.

9. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

Dane Cook, Mitch Hedberg and Pablo Francisco. Hellz yeahz.

10. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

those guys rip.

it seems that every young comic that works with dane cook, wants to be him.

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Saw two comedians last night on Comedy Channel that had me laughing.

The Amazing Jonathan, magician/comedian.

Lewis Black. http://www.lewisblack.net/

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

I remember The Amazing Jonathan from several years ago. His act is a gut buster.

Maybe AB can tell us if he has ever been to Houston or if he is coming to Houston any time soon. :)

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

According to his web site (http://www.amazingj.com/schedule.html) he is booked for the rest of this year at the Flamingo Hilton in Vegas.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have not, but I'll keep an eye out. I only saw Dame on some awful Ally McBLT episode that I was being forced to watch. Dame Edna was the best part, but man oh man, did I ever hate that show.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Neil Hamburger the comedian. Now that is comedy.

16. Elvis Costello

Woah! That's really cool, Batman. I love David Cross. I think Mr. Show with him and Bob Odenkirk is the funniest show ever. More consistently funny than Monty Python, or Kids in the Hall even. Larry David has to be moving up rapidly on the all-time comedy list. Being the driving force of "Seinfield" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is quite an acomplishment.

I am down with most of the comedians mentioned in the thread. Bill Hicks, George Carlin and Richard Pryor were the best modern (ish) comedians in my opinion. Hicks has been a longtime favorite of mine. His material still sounds really relevant now (sadly). What impressed me about him was that he combined real passion and angst with exquisite craft. I've heard him do a lot of the same material on various bootlegs and he always adds a little twist to keep the bits fresh and you can tell he really knew how to work every facet of the language, voice and expressions to squeeze every laugh, thought, or groan out of his material. Great stuff. Carlin is the only comedian I can think of that had a career lull (around the late 70's until the mid 80's) and then improved his material into his sixties. With the exception of his last HBO special Carlin was on like a 15 year roll where he honed not only a sharp "act" but a coherent (and really nihilistic) world view. More than your average dick joke (though he still does them, too). Finally, I thought Richar Pryor was great because he created characters that were not only funny, but also moving. Hell, *he* was moving. Pryor also could break your heart as well as laugh outloud....all the turmoil in his life came out. Really great craftsman at developing a story and giving you a sense of time and place, too.

I love a lot of the older comedians, too. Bill Cosby, Woody Allen, Bob Newhart, Steve Allen, Johnny Carson, Jack Benny and the comedy team of Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner are really funny to this day. Such perfect timing with all of them. The Marx Brothers and Bob Hope still hold up really well, too.

I close with the great Redd Foxx, who gave the funniest description of a woman's vagina:

"Like Sammy Davis, jr. with his eye out."

:D