1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets could be involved in three team trade w/ Spurs and Raptors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Aug 23, 2012.

1. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

lets in about the same amount of points.....

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i think if you get Neal, you keep him, unless he gets too expensive next summer.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And when he gives you what you've gotten the past two seasons .... you'll take that second rounder wishing you had moved before the season.

Dont get me wrong , I like Patterson buit I dont think he will ever be more than an NBA backup ....

4. dream1222

dream1222 Member

I second that

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This part of the "trade" makes it all seem like something made up:

"HOU wants 1st rd pick from TOR"

Houston already has Toronto's first round pick.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm sure they have a 2015, 2016 or 2017 available.

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Where is the link to the source of the story? This story sounds just like the one some new guy was peddling from RealGM a couple of nights ago on here. He professed a bit of an inside connection.

8. jocar

jocar Member

highlights
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/isFyICub1Uk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I think Toronto has Sac's 2014 2nd rounder - I wonder where Morey values PPat? If we can nab that 2nd rounder, plus a 1st from SA, you'd have to do it, right?

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting rumor.

I'd have to say if the Rockets leaked it, it's because they want other teams to know they'll move PPat for the right price.

Salaries don't exactly match. Toronto will have to send more salary out to Houston. Rumors, even when true, are never accurate as far as players. So, with that being said, the only thing that makes any sense at all from the Rox standpoint in regards to trading PPat to a division rival, would be for them to get back a lottery worthy first round pick. I'm wondering if we aren't willing to take back Amir's contract to get Toronto to remove the lottery protection on the pick we owe them. That would be one way to maximize our shot at winning the lottery, go there ourselves with a really bad record and own Toronto's unprotected lottery pick.

Nothing else makes sense to me. Morey doesn't sell low on guys. And Patterson's value is guaranteed to spike upwards when the season starts and he looks healthy, stronger, and is leading us in minutes played, etc. So, I really can't see trading him for anything short of a future lottery pick.

I would do a deal involving Amir for Patterson if Toronto would remove the lottery protection on that pick we got for Lowry. It will cost us Patterson and around $12 million (two years of Amir's contract) temporarily until we can find a new home for Amir at the trade deadline (ATL). I'd even throw in another contract and take back Bargnani to get that lottery protection removed from that pick. However, I would doubt Toronto does it.

If Morey trades PPat, in my opinion, he is signalling a big time tank for this season.

11. jocar

jocar Member

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Assume that Toronto makes the playoffs in 2013 and 2014 and not in 2015. How can they trade their 2015 first rounder when Houston would then be exercising the first round pick they already have? Toronto's hands are tied concerning their own first round draft pick until Houston uses it. Perhaps they have one that belongs to some other team, but it would be hard trading their own unless Houston removes the current restriction.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

yep, i don't think Toronto sees Bargnani as that bad a contract that they'd give picks for someone to take him.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Jopa, wouldn't you expect Toronto to fall out of the 1-4 pick range anyway? No idea of the odds, but I would think Morey would want a little bit more, especially since he doesn't sell low. I've got no clue though, just my initial reaction!

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It sounds exactly like the one posted here a few days ago. I would say it's likely the same guy.

I don't believe there is any truth to it.

16. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

The link is on the first post

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I know. I think the other guy on here who mentioned this trade got it from the same source you linked to, but he never provided any links. Just said it was stuff he "heard" or something like that, so people ignored him.

Anyways I'm not complaining about the thread. A fresh topic every now and then is more than welcome in the offseason.

18. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

So PPat is the difference between tanking or not?

19. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I would try to pry away Tiago Splitter...he wasn't a huge impact player for the Spurs...I'm sure they can live without him.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Clearing out Patterson is the real win. Force McHale to play the kids.